VS2015 compiler error: Failed to produce item .lib

I’ve recently upgraded my 4.14.3 project to 4.15 without issues, but soon after I found that when compiling my code, Visual Studio 2015 will spit out two errors:

Failed to produce item: E:\UnrealProjects\xxx\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-xxx-9961.lib

MSB3075	The command ""D:\Epic Games\UE_4.15\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat" xxxEditor Win64 Development "E:\UnrealProjects\xxx\xxx.uproject" -waitmutex" exited with code 5. Please verify that you have sufficient rights to run this command.

While it does spit out these errors, it seems to compile just fine.
I’ve already regenerated my VS project files from the .uproject file to no avail.

Can anybody assist?

Edit:
Okay, it doesn’t compile at all and I have to restart the editor in between compiles…

1 Like

Same issue here.

If I forcibly Rebuild the whole project it seems to compile fine, but obviously that’s not preferred, since it takes much longer this way.

1 Like

Same issue here… Found a fix yet (besides rebuilding all and/or restart editor)?

Not yet, but I can confirm that there are more people that suffer from the same issue in 4.15.

I’ve posted in the forums as well and some people just seem to suggest to compile in the Editor, but that is slow and unacceptable…

I’m trying to compile in the editor and get a different .lib error each time i build it. It persists with random .lib errors through restarts (all in the same path as OP).

Same. I am using Visual Studio 2017 and it does this everytime I change something in my code. The only solution is to rebuild.

Same error here. A full rebuild indeed makes the error go away. I believe it’s some minor bug with the new compiler that came with UE 4.15.

In any case I must point out that the project builds fine and it’s not affected by the VS error. I wouldn’t worry about it that much.

I wonder @kbrizov. Any improvements noticed with VS2017 compared to 2015? Better compile speeds maybe? What about the crazy slow IntelliSense from VS2015?

Well, Visual Studio 2017 introduces some cool C++ features like in Visual Assist and Resharper C++. For example, by default the dot operator (.) is now replaced with arrow (->). It also has some nice new visual changes. Other than that I am relatively new to developing with Unreal and it seems that the issue with Intellisense is still here. It’s very slow. I have a C#/Unity background and I am used to lightening fast intellisense. The only thing that “fixes” this slow intellisense is Visual Assist. Resharper is super slow too.

@kbrizov Can you recommend Visual Assist over Intellisense? I’ve heard it is faster, but does it have the same functionality?

Visual Assist has a 30 day trial period, so you can test it yourself. The installation is super easy too. It’s very nice. It does not remove your intellisense it just improves it and adds many cool features that help you. I definitely recommend it :slight_smile:

@kbrizov Thanks for the answer and recommendation.
Can I use Visual Assist to replace Intellisense altogether (turn it off and still have the same features)? Because still having Intellisense running in the background doesn’t seem like a pleasant thought…

Fixed by Hotfix 4.15.1. Issue tracker: UE-42205

Confirmed, issue fixed in 4.15.1

I am using 4.15.2 and still having this issue. Engine is source build from Github and installed on second hardrive.

@DropBear77 Either this is a regression or it is due to the fact that your engine is built from source (unlike mine). In any case, I have not encountered this problem ever since 4.15.1. I suggest you create a new question on this matter.

I’m having the same issue now in 4.16.1 with VS2017. The issue is listed as unresolved? Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-42205) Is this another regression?

I would believe it is a regression in 4.16, tough I can’t say for sure, since I still use 4.15 and VS2015 myself.

I can confirm. The problem is present in 4.16 again. At least for me. I am using Visual Studio 2017 (Latest patch) and UE 4.16.1