4.13p1 crash openning project on network drive

Hello,

I am having an instant crash whenever I try to open a file located on a network folder (for example a network drive that has been mapped and can be accessed by a drive letter). Projects created on the local computer work fine.

I am on Windows 10 64 bit. Other versions of the engine can open network drive projects without problem.

Steps to reproduce:
1.- Map a network drive on Windows Explorer.
2.- Create a new project in 4.13 inside that location.
3.- The engine will try to open the project and will crash.
4.- Try to open the new already created project, get crash.
5.- Make new project in local drive, opens fine.
6.- Copy your working, local project to the network drive and open it. Crash.

This is the crash report:

Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not available)

VCRUNTIME140
UE4Editor_DirectoryWatcher!FDirectoryWatchRequestWindows::ProcessChange() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\developer\directorywatcher\private\windows\directorywatchrequestwindows.cpp:234]
ntdll
ntdll
mswsock
mswsock
ws2_32
UE4Editor_Sockets!FSocketBSD::Bind() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\sockets\private\bsdsockets\socketsbsd.cpp:33]
UE4Editor_UdpMessaging!FUdpSocketBuilder::Build()
UE4Editor_UdpMessaging!FUdpMessageTransport::StartTransport()
UE4Editor_Messaging!FMessageBridge::Enable() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\messaging\private\bridge\messagebridge.cpp:75]
UE4Editor_UdpMessaging!FMessageBridgeBuilder::Build()
UE4Editor_UdpMessaging!FMessageBridgeBuilder::operator TSharedPtr()
UE4Editor_UdpMessaging!FUdpMessagingModule::InitializeBridge()
UE4Editor_UdpMessaging!FUdpMessagingModule::RestartServices()
UE4Editor_UdpMessaging!FUdpMessagingModule::StartupModule()
UE4Editor_Core!FModuleManager::LoadModuleWithFailureReason() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\modules\modulemanager.cpp:480]
UE4Editor_Projects!FModuleDescriptor::LoadModulesForPhase() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\projects\private\moduledescriptor.cpp:398]
UE4Editor_Projects!FPluginManager::LoadModulesForEnabledPlugins() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\projects\private\pluginmanager.cpp:553]
UE4Editor!FEngineLoop::LoadStartupModules() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launchengineloop.cpp:2211]
UE4Editor!FEngineLoop::PreInit() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launchengineloop.cpp:1653]
UE4Editor!GuardedMain() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launch.cpp:117]
UE4Editor!GuardedMainWrapper() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:126]
UE4Editor!WinMain() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:202]
UE4Editor!__scrt_common_main_seh() [f:\dd\vctools\crt\vcstartup\src\startup\exe_common.inl:264]
kernel32
ntdll

Hey Diego,

This is currently a known issue with 4.13: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-34295)

However, we are looking for a way to reproduce this crash. If you have repro steps as far as how we can get the crash to occur in a clean project, please provide a detailed list. Otherwise, if you are able to provide a project that is consistently experiencing this crash, please upload it to Dropbox and provide me with a link through PM on the forums: https://forums.unrealengine.com/member.php?160394-Sean-Flint

Thanks!

Hello, Sean,

Of course, I would be glad to help.

For now, I can consistently reproduce this crash any time I try to load a clean project from a network drive. As long as the project is in a network drive, it will crash.

If you follow the reproduction steps I gave in the original post you should be able to reproduce it without a problem on a clean project.

I know it is not specific to a project because I can copy that clean project to a local drive and open it without crashing. Also, if I take a 4.13 project that works on local, and copy it over to a network location, it will again crash with the same report.

I don’t know what other information you might need, but if you do please let me know. The network drives I tried are located on a different Windows 10 64 bit machine, and also on a Sinology NAS; but are mapped locally within my machine, with a local drive letter (so I can access them as if they were locally mounted drives).

Now, I also got a crash with an Access violation - code c0000005 when I tried to load in a particular alembic file. The rest of the crash report is different, but the header is the same, so I don’t know if this would be related to that original problem or not.

If you want, I can send you the problematic alembic file (it’s over 2 gigs) and also open a new question if you believe this is a different issue.

All the best.

Thanks for the information! I was able to reproduce the crash and have updated the bug report.

Go ahead and open a new question for that issue, as it sounds like a known issue but it’s worth investigating nonetheless. Thanks again!