Incorrect shadows from edge of landscape object

Hi there,

I’ve noticed that shadows that are cast from the edge of a landscape unto other objects do not seem to correlate to the actual edge of the landscape. It seems like the shadow is offset as if the landscape object was slightly larger than it actually is. The preview shadows are correct, but when I build the shadows the error appears. I’ve also noticed that the shadows are offset even more the more components my landscape has.

I’m using a clean project with one stationary light source. The landscape object is also stationary.

Do you have any ideas on why this is and how to avoid it?

Hey Hejden,

I was able to confirm what you are reporting and have entered a bug for the issue UE-31291. Once the bug has been addressed by the engineers and a fix has been made, it will be added to an upcoming major engine or hotfix release. With that said, I tried to do some digging as to what could be causing this issue,

If you have further questions please let me know.

Cheers,

Thanks Andrew!

I’ve tried a couple of different things, but have been unable to come up with a workaround for it. I only came up with different methods of making it worse :).

Hey Hejden,

The reason this occurs is we expand and overlap landscape components and this affects the borders of a landscape for lighting purposes.

So the bug returned as ‘Won’t Fix’ as the engineers determined you are never intended to see the edge of a landscape (it’ll either be embedded in the floor or extend to the horizon), and therefore wouldn’t see its shadow either.

Thank you,