Why does UE4-master crash when quitting SteamVR

It seems unecessary, is it a code check that causes the crash?

Also, cant use VR preview unless SteamVR is running. It was previously possible to disable it with a startup command.

Hello ,

I have a few questions for you that will help narrow down what issue it is that you are experiencing.

Quick questions:

1. Can you reproduce this issue in a clean project?
  2. If so, could you provide a detailed list of steps to reproduce this issue on our end?
  3. Could you provide the complete callstack that you get when the editor crashes?

If you take any version of the engine with the following:
Step 1. Startup SteamVR
Step 2. Startup UE4, I have had this problem with
UE4.13
dev-editor

Editor Settings:
+Enable VREditor

Then try closing SteamVR. There is no log produced which is most disconcerting. I will try to log the behaviour using Visual Studio, so stayed tuned for that. For now, the above should be sufficient to reproduce my error.

After doing a bit of digging I was able to find that this appears to be a known issue (UE-29485). However, the issue appears to be that Steam VR is forcing the process to close. Because this is being done by SteamVR we do not having any control over this. I hope that this information helps.

Make it a great day

As Per Bug report: closing SteamVR crashes or closes the UE4 editor :: SteamVR Developer Hardware General Discussions
“This happens because Unreal ignores the quit request from SteamVR. I thought we had the UE4 editor black-listed, though, so we wouldn’t kill it.”

So how about when a quit request is received we prompt the save dialog? That seems like a good thing to do anyway. I’ve lost a fair amount of work to this already.

+1 on this issue, can be really annoying. Nice work on all things VR though much love to Steam/HTC and Epic