On the Go
Got Away With It! - CREATEXION
Something, Something Reality
Albina - Certain Things
Army of One
Multiliens - Richang Games

Allar Dallar Award
Play Outside - Blackbird

Join the Unreal Engine community for your chance to win some incredible prizes in Epic’s Summer #ue4jam. Each quarter, #ue4jams are held to provide developers the perfect opportunity to hone their development chops, try out a new feature or put a new crew through the paces.

GETTING STARTED
Here are some resources that will help you get prepared for the #ue4jam.

Check out Tom Shannon’s presentation on Game Jammin With UE4, livestreamed for our Winter #ue4jam.

Looking for a team? Want to start your own? Head over to our Crowdforge.io page for some team building.

SideFX](https://www.sidefx.com/) is offering a FREE 2-month Houdini license to all Summer #ue4jam participants. These won’t be available once the jam gets started, so be sure to sign up​ for your license today!​

Get FREE access to Quixel’s Megascans](https://megascans.se/) library! Sign up for the Freelance 4K subscription by following the link here​. Registration is open through August 17th. Take a look at this “Welcome to Megascans” to help you get started.​

**Assembla **will give all participants of the #ue4jam access to their platform for game development teams to build iterations of their game using their Perforce and SVN repositories. As a cloud version control provider with PM tools built in, Assembla is an effective asset to any gaming developer, and we are excited to watch Assembla’s continuing emergence within the game development community. To get access to the Perforce server, send us an [EMAIL=“community@unrealengine.com”]email that you will need access and your team’s email addresses. Please also check out tutorials on using Assembla and Perforce beforehand.

Need access to a sound library? Soundly](http://getsoundly.com/) has you covered! You’ll get** full access to Soundly and its massive sound effect library **during the jam. Enter promo code pUE4JAM after installing to get started.

THE RULES
Work alone or with a team (up to 5 members total) to make the most incredible project in Unreal Engine 4 based on the given theme and submit before the deadline.

PROJECT REQUIREMENTS
Here’s the list of submission requirements to win a prize:

• The game must include custom gameplay that exceeds the gameplay found in Epic Games’ starter templates.
  • All art assets in the game must have a material other than the default applied to it.
  • Submissions must be packaged for Android (unfortunately there are limitations with iOS), Windows or Mac OS. No full, unpackaged projects. VR projects are accepted. Android games can be distributed via the Play store as well.

HOW TO SUBMIT AN ENTRY AND TIMELINE
In Unreal Engine game jam tradition, we’ll be kicking this one off and announcing the theme at the end of the livestream on Thursday, August 16th at 2PM ET and giving participants the weekend to create and submit an awesome game built in the engine. The jam ends on Tuesday, August 21st at 3PM ET.

SUBMIT YOUR GAME HERE: Unreal EngineSummer #ue4jam Itch.io page- before Tuesday, August 21st at 3PM ET.

**>> You will also need to submit your game to the #ue4jam Itch.io page once you’ve added it to your own Itch.io account. **<<

You will need the following information:

• Team Name

• Each Team Member’s Name and Email Address

• Game Name

• Name of your submission

• Please format your the name of your .zip file with your team’s name attached, ex. TeamName_GameName

• List any content that was created before the jam that was included in the final submission.

• This does affect the score, as we judge on what is made during the jam’s timeframe. Submitting an entry with pre-made content that is not disclosed may lead to disqualification.

• A link to gameplay footage to be included in our highlight reel on the Summer #ue4jam results livestream, if you so desire.

• Please keep your video between 30-60 seconds.

**NOTE: **In order to submit your game to Itch.io, your .zip file must be **UNDER 1GB. **This won’t affect most projects, but please be mindful of the size of your game once compressed. If your file is more than 1GB, you may utilize the Butler tool to upload your files to Itch.io. More info on that here.

AWARD CATEGORIES AND PRIZES

The Summer #ue4jam will feature a Grand Prize raffle, plus additional prizes for the finalist teams and special category winners. We judge submissions for their visual aesthetic, unique use of the theme, and gameplay on a 1-5 point scale. The top 3 teams will be declared our finalists.

FINALIST PRIZES

All Finalists will receive:

• a 280GB Intel® Optane™ SSD 900P from Intel Software
  • a 1-year Houdini Indie license from SideFX
  • a 6-month 8K Freelancer subscription to Quixel Megascans(which includes access to Quixel Mixer and Quixel Bridge), and a perpetual Quixel Suite 2 license from Quixel
  • all current asset packs from PolyPixel
  • the FPS Game Starter Kit from SB
  • a one-year membership to the IGDA
  • a 1-year subscription to Soundly Pro from Soundly
  • 2000 Dallar from Dallar.org
  • an Unreal Engine swag pack per team member, including a Summer #ue4jam t-shirt
  • a “Game Jam Finalist” forum badge
  • a featured playthrough on the September 13th Unreal Engine livestream
  • a highlight on the Unreal Engine blog
  • And More!

Many thanks to Intel for sponsoring the Summer #ue4jam and supplying our community with rad prizes! I encourage you all to check out their Game Dev Program at Game Development and sign up. They’d love to provide your team with resources to help you succeed -> Get ready. Get noticed. Get big. .

FALCON NORTHWEST GRAND PRIZE RAFFLE

Every individual from the three finalist teams will also be entered into the Falcon Northwest Grand Prize Raffle, where only one lucky person will receive the Summer #ue4jam’s biggest reward; a custom Unreal Engine-branded laptop from Falcon Northwest.

Full specs:

• Intel® Core™ i7-8750H Six-Core “Coffee Lake” Processor, 4.1GHz
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX1070 Max-Q, 8 GB GDDR5
  • 15.6” 1920x1080 144Hz 5ms, IPS Display, Matte Finish
  • 16GB DDR4 Memory
  • 1 Terabyte Intel 720P PCI Express NVMe drive
  • Full RGB Illuminated keyboard
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • 4.75 pounds, 0.8” thick
  • Oculus Ready Certified

SPECIAL CATEGORY PRIZES

Our “Special Categories” are for teams who create amazing games, but have something just a little different.

• On the Go - Best mobile game on Android or iOS!
  • Something Something Reality - Best AR or VR game.
  • Army of One - Best game created by a solo developer.

Winners of these special category prizes will be rewarded with:

• a 1-year Houdini Indie license from SideFX
  • a 6-month 8K Freelancer subscription to Quixel Megascans(which includes access to Quixel Mixer and Quixel Bridge), and a perpetual Quixel Suite 2 license from Quixel
  • all current asset packs from PolyPixel
  • the FPS Game Starter Kit from SB
  • a one-year membership to the IGDA
  • a featured playthrough on the September 13th Unreal Engine livestream
  • an Unreal Engine swag pack per team member, including a Summer #ue4jam t-shirt

ALLAR DALLAR AWARD

The “Allar Dallar” category award will go to the game that both Allar and his community of twitch viewers were entertained by the most This doesn’t mean the “best” game or most fun, but simply the most entertaining. All game jam entries will be streamed via Twitch beginning upon the close of submissions - August 21 at 3pm EDT. Each winning member of this category will receive 4000 Dallar from Dallar.org

Happy developing, and good luck!

Streaming your work on Twitch? Let us know so we can follow along!
Are you on Twitter? Show off your work using the #ue4jam](https://twitter.com/hashtag/ue4jam?src=hash) hashtag!

Helpful Links for Jamming!

Official Sites
Getting Started Docs
Reduce Your Package Size
Top Tips for Game Jams
Wiki Tutorials
Wiki Code Tutorials/Snippets
Training Videos
Tutorials and Guides
Blueprint Getting Started Thread
C++ Getting Started Thread

Youtube
Unreal Engine’s Official Youtube Channel
Peter L Newton’s Youtube Channel
TeslaDev’s Youtube Channel
Mathew Wadstein’s Youtube Channel
Luos’ Youtube Channel

Tutorials and Guides
Tutorials by Tom Looman
Blueprint Guides by Romero

Yay!! These JAMS are the best :slight_smile:

Rookie developer here. I’ve been learning with UE4, can anyone enter this jam, from anywhere in the world? I’m in NZ

The SpringJam rules stated “worldwide, except where prohibited by law”. I doubt you have any issues.

Few extra pointers based on personal experience.

I heavily recommend checking out the video, it gives by far the most accurate impression on the nature of the jam. The tips are also really good, but I think everyone really “get” their importance after taking part into one jam.

This means the material named default, aka. the checkerboard material. If you watch the presentation stream, you’ll see that liberal use of assets is recommended. If you use assets from the marketplace, this does not mean that you have to start making changes to their materials (but you still need to disclose use of any assets made before the jam).

On itch.io the game needs to be first added into an account, then added into the jam as an entry. (Last time there was an “add game to the jam button” on the jam page itself and it caused a lot of confusion when the game still had to be added into the jam separately).

I assume that if it is the same as last time, you can only add a game into the jam once (one entry per contestant). Playtest carefully before you “ship” your game into the jam.

Again I am under the impression that using marketplace etc. content is recommended, as in, if it makes your game better, it is better to use it than not… it’s just that disclosure is required.

Keep this in mind while planning out what to do.

Have to see if I join this one, depends on the theme. I’ve improved criminally little since last jam, but I blame it on the 30C+ weather…

@JoSf Using third-party assets is not recommended (it clearly states why) but if you were to use some, better grab them from the marketplace rather than a source that has a complicated licence.

Well, I wouldn’t say that it isn’t recommended. I strongly suggest using them if you aren’t an artist, or if you don’t have an artist on your team. I’m the farthest thing from an artist so I have no choice about what I use. It does help your score if you can make them yourself, but if you can’t don’t hesitate to use premade assets. This is only my opinion which very easily could be wrong. And I know that [USER=“1062559”]Constantine Xeni[/USER] is a game jam finalist so his opinion could very easily be right. Congrats on your game! I’m looking forwards to see what you make this time. :slight_smile:

Sure what you are saying is not incorrect and i should have elaborated more. My opinion is whatever you can do just go for it (of course if the time allows it) and use only third party content (even you own premade) when you really think that it’s a must. To give you an example. Our team was composed of three and the only expertise we didn’t have was on sound & music, so we used what was provided to us by soundly (which was a sponsor in the last jam).

Thanks by the way and yeah lets see our mini games come to life!

WOOHOO!!! Can’t wait!

Hi,
if I want to participate with friends, all we need to do is to join the jam ? Do we need to officially create somewhere the team before the jam ?
thx

Howdy y’all!

I have been join this jam for years now. I’ll be joining this jam as well. I’m currently looking for 2d/3d artist, composer/sound effect, and designers. If you’re interested in joining check pm me or go here: here https://crowdforge.io/jams/ue4jam/teams/1874

Hey JV - I joined your team! :slight_smile:

First time participating, I hope not to neglect the university a lot

Let’s get those lemons!

Anyone heard any rumors on the theme?

Patience. We 'll know soon enough :stuck_out_tongue: .

By PM to someone or public at itch.io description?

When you submit it there’s a form to fill, or that’s how it was couple of months ago.

Blender ready for theme :slight_smile:

Still haven’t received an email with the Quixel megascan link, anyone?

Hi ! Are you allowed to use free assets from the marketplace for the summer jam?