2 problem in destructible mesh

<--------deleted-------->

Hi Orache,

I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed your illustration! :slight_smile:

I do get what you mean as well.

To have that kind of complexity in your destruction you will need to download Nvidia PhsyX Labs for destruction.](https://developer.nvidia.com/apex-destruction) You’ll also need to register on their site (it’s free!) to download the standalone application or the plugin for Max/Maya.

To create the kind of destrution you want you’ll really need to use this software to create different depth destruction layers. Any destructible created in Unreal Engine 4 only has one depth layer. Depth 0 is no destruction and depth 1 is destroyed.

PhysX Labs will allow you to create multiple layers so you can control the destruction like you want. They’re tutorial series is fairly clear at explaining how to setup layers for destruction. If you have any questions or get stuck feel free to ask any questions! :slight_smile:

Tim

thank
can you answer my second question ? :smiley:

This will need to be setup with your Destructible and how much damage it can take. Setting up an accumulated damage will help with this. It will not calculate how much time has passed when it was first hit to be destroyed. If you set it up to take accumulated damage this could work.

If you’re talking about having the chunks that break off disappear there are a couple of ways you could do this. 1 you could use Debris Timeout that will make all chunks disappear after a specified time, but this will make them all disappear at the same time. That is intended with debris timeout. 2 you could set up a GPU particle to spawn debris meshes that can hit the ground, disperse and than disappear independently of the others.

Destruction elements can be complicated to get right but testing things in PhysX Labs and trying out different settings can get you the look you want. There is no silver bullet to get the exact look you have in your mind as everyone has different ideas for what they want. We can point you in the right direction but you’ll need to iterate and tweak to get exactly the look and feel you want. :slight_smile:

Destruction meshes are a lot of fun and feel free to ask questions anytime! :smiley:

Tim

i download apex physx lab 1.3 version but i can not use it . i want a tutorial for learn it this place have few tutorial but i want for ue4 (this tutorial is for ue3 )

tnx

There isn’t a tutorial for UE4 at the moment. This would be something that Nvidia would need to do for their site. The settings still are the same though. You would still create the destrucitble with PhysX Labs and when you import it into UE4 and open the destructible the settings are in the panel to the right that need to be adjusted. They may look a little different with the new user interface but they work just the same. :slight_smile:

thank
i dont understand what you mean :slight_smile: i must use apex physx lab or just use ue4 for create destructible mesh ?

You’ll need to use both.

To create the destruction meshes you would like you’ll need to use PhsyX Labs to create the different depth layers for damage. Then when you export. Import that apx file into UE4 where you can set it up and use it for it’s different destruction depths.

Unreal Engine 4 only has one Depth Layer which means you can really only get basic destruction. There are only two states for your mesh: Depth Layer 0 - Not Destroyed and Depth Layer 1 - Destroyed.

Using PhsyX Labs will allow you to have more control over your Destruction mesh by having multiple layers: Depth Layer 0 - No Destruction, Depth Layer 1 - Support Chunks, Depth 2 - Debris.

There really aren’t any better examples than the video tutorials that Nvidia provides at the moment. Once you get your destruction mesh created in PhsyX Labs and setup import that into your game and if you’re having trouble with getting UE4 to use it properly let me know and I will give you some tips. After setting it up correctly in PhsyX Labs there shouldn’t be that much to change in UE4 to get things to work together for some cool destruction! :slight_smile:

Tim

Thanks Tim and Orache I have found this thread and your answers very useful.

Glad it helped! :slight_smile:

If you have questions feel free to post them here as well. Also post any progress you get as that could greatly help others.

Tim

thank . I learned many things . Only one thing remains : i can not find a apex destruction lab for ue4 tutorial please show me a link for tutorial !
thank too and sorry for Take your time :o

It’s not a problem. :slight_smile:

There is not a specific tutorial for UE4 when using PhysX Labs. The setup will still be handled in that program. When you import the asset into UE4 you’ll want to open it via the Content Browser. In the Right hand panel will be your destruction settings where you can adjust them there.

I’m having a bit difficulties to fracture destructible mesh with projectile. When I set projectile as follows:

1.In the Content Browser, go to Blueprints > MyProjectile
2.Click [ROOT] CollisionComponent and turn on Simulate Physics
3.Click Sphere and change Collision Preset to Block All

And the destructible mesh imported from PhysX Labs:

Simulate Physics [x]
Collision Presets [BlockAll]

It works in a way that destructible mesh collides with projectile and flies around but does not fracture. When setting destructible mesh Default Impact Damage to 0 it fractures a bit so when projectile hits it the pieces will fly around but it does not look good when it’s fractured bit already before hit from projectile.

Extra Info:

In PhysX I have two depths like in tutorial and at the playground everything works fine. The problem starts after I’ve imported it. I use third-person BP template. The APEX Destruction with UDK tutorial for ue3 basically just describes how to set effects and sounds. Maybe those next tutorials covers this better. I haven’t got there yet. But for now there’s a kind of problem even with simple destructible mesh + projectile in ue4 as described.

Hi Jmietola,

Here’s something I started working on, but haven’t gotten a chance to fully finish and get uploaded to the Wiki yet.

This is a destruction tutorial series that will help you get the effect you’re wanting with the projectile. Start with Step 10 as this is where we setup the projectile to interact with our destructible mesh. This will be good for anyone who is only using the Fracture Tool in UE4 and not necessarily for those wanting to setup other destrucitble just yet.

As you can see in the start of this I’ve got a lot more planned that I’ve just not had the time to get to to finish out. Destructibles are a lot of fun and as you may have noticed can be cumbersome to get started with.

Take a look and if you have any questions feel free to ask. :slight_smile:

Tim

Awesome! Works like a charm! Thanks for the help! Can’t wait to experiment more with destructibles now!

No Problem at all! :slight_smile:

I’m having a similar issue, however i don’t really need multiple depth layers. the problem i’m running into as illustrated in the video below, is that destruction forces are being propagated to chunks that haven’t been damaged. How would i prevent this? You’ll notice in the video, the proper portion of the mesh is destroyed, but the shell that remains intact still responds to impact forces.

[EDIT] - just figured it out. had no clue there was a destructible example content level. the solution was a simple check box appropriately named ‘world support’

Butterfly from HELL LOL!!! Dude thats cute :stuck_out_tongue:

Or you could cheat and use subtractive brushes to punch holes and then generate your gibs.

(I’m new, but I think its possible to do it that way.)

@Tontow: Subtractive brushes cannot be used for this type of effect. Geometry/BSP brushes are meant to be used primarily for blocking out your level.

@Paradoc: Just a note about your destructible to get a better result with the mesh itself. I noticed that you can see through parts of your Destructible when it’s destroyed. A key thing to remember when you build your mesh is to closet he geometry. For instance, if you make your walls and you don’t have a face on the bottom it will give this hollow effect you’re seeing.

If you have any questions feel free to ask! :slight_smile:

Tim