Can i paint vertex color on a spline mesh blueprint?

Can i paint vertex color on a spline mesh blueprint? I used it to create a road/sidewalk and was hoping to add puddles with vertex painting but so far it doesnt work when i try to paint on in it in UE5.2

3 Likes

Hi Kurylo3d,

Yes you should be able to - I just tested painting a road with mesh paint in 5.2 and it worked (although I hadn’t added the vertex color values into the material).

1 Like

Hi @kurylo3d,
Got the same issue. SplineMeshActors just don’t get any paint no matter how much I press the buttons.

2 Likes

It seems like vertex painting of Spline Meshes doesn’t work anymore in 5.2. It works in 5.1.
The PaintVerticesLerpAlongAxis and PaintVerticesSingleColor functions are bugged in 5.2, it’s a regression from 5.1. They work on regular static meshes, but not on spline meshes.

3 Likes

how do we file a bug report?

how do we file a bug report? Then.

Are you sure you are in 5.2 ? Everyone else commenting have my same exact issue if it not working.

I added code to colorize in the material and you’re correct, it seems to do everything except paint on the mesh…

1 Like

Same problem here. UE5.2 Vertex paint on spline mesh Not working.
And UE 5.1 Vertex paint on spline meshIt is disastrous, it can be painted but with many errors.

1 Like

Already submitted, and the “Target Fix [5.5]”

UE-186643

Gonna be kidding me, 5.5

1 Like

Well, still bugged in 5.3, indeed… Which practically kills my MP product until 5.5, judging from:

A fix for this has been committed to main
https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/commit/0ad037fe749f83d522227bb783594da9e640f5ac

Too bad, I don’t think this made it into 5.4, says target fix will be 5.5. I could probably apply the fix myself, but vertex paint on spline mesh is still broken as of Preview 1 from my tests.

in 5.4 its not visible in editor however when merging the mesh with “merge actor” tool the colors are applied. Dont forget to set the “bake vertex data to mesh” to true. I think this is a workable solution for engine versions 5.2 till 5.5. (did not test this)

Hope it helps

A workaround for this would be to vertex paint in vulkan preview mode (5.4 not sure if reliable)