1080ti + Virtual Art Gallery + tips for photo realism?

Hi Everyone,

I’d like to produce a virtual art gallery, that looks as realistic as possible.
Can anyone give me tips on where I should start my searches, and / or tips in this regard?

I have a decent rig (i7 + 1080 ti), and I don’t need much action in the game. More of a simple visualization.

I would also LOVE to view it on my Oculus Rift – if anyone has experience on what has to be removed for the demands of VR I’d be grateful.

-GL

*edit just noticed this probably should have gone in the Architecture and Design visualization section – my apologies.

Hello

I make a Art Gallery for a client and don’t be afroid of Photorealism … YOu have lot of Realistic Content in marketplace and other … YOu have perfect spec to create high end product even for VR
The important thing in realitic rendering is not only model + texture but Lighting too.

@erodann – thank you for the kind reply! Do you have a link to your project? I’d love to take a look.

I really appreciate your positive response – much thanks.

-GL

Ultimately to have it look realistic you need good assets in the first place, so if you’re trying to match a real location then you need to look at all the details and try to replicate that.

@darthviper107 thanks very much! Good call and I’ll go look at the space today.

Take a shed-load of photo’s for reference, matching diffuse values of all surfaces and getting the lighting bake right, along with producing accurate high resolution textures and geometry - is essentially what you need to be aiming for.

But yes, photo reference is the best tip anyone can give you imo.

Hi Kogoshi,
Thank you for these helpful suggestions.
Can you speak a little more about high resolution textures?

I’m attaching images of the room. It’s a room at school, and the plan is to have the VR experience match the geometry of the room. The actual texture of windows / walls doesn’t have to match perfectly I think, as long as the geometry / scale feels right. Does that makes sense?

I’m attaching images, and a very basic floor plan. Do you have any tips on the best steps? Would you try and build the geometry in Unreal, or in some other CAD program and then import it?

Do you suggest trying to capture textures of the real objects in the space, or just finding similar textures online somewhere? I’ve never done anything photo real, so any tips would be appreciated.

-GL

I’d take a bunch of photos and then measure a few things, it probably doesn’t need to be exact but you’ll want to get enough reference material

Personally I think having good lighting and good material definition are the most important things to achieving photorealism. You can take it a step further by adding imperfections like finger prints, water spots, scratches, smudges, smears, dirt, etc.

Based on your photo references, you’re going to want to set up a sky light as your primary lighting source in Unreal. Many of the textures appear to be simple enough that they can be created by hand and then layered with grunge textures that are sourced online.

@darthviper107 – I’m actually lucky in that my school took a number of photos already. You’re probably right about measuring though. The floor plan is low res and I can’t read the measurements.

@ausernottaken – thanks for the sky light suggestion. I know little to nothing about lighting in Unreal (only having played with lights in Cinema 4D), so the sky light as primary is helpful.

How did you guys learn about rendering? From the manual? Video tutorials?

-GL