Oculus Rift DK2 and the SDK

When can we expect Unreal Engine 4 to fully support the new DK2 enabled SDK for the Oculus Rift? I understand that the new DK2 supported SDK will be released close to the release of the DK2, but my concern is how long from then til full DK2 support in Unreal Engine 4? Or do you have your own pipeline to the DK2 and the SDK so that UE4 already supports it? :cool:

It already supports it, I don’t know about position tracking, but head tracking and resolution work just fine.

If you look at the Oculus VR site you would know that, yes it do “work”, but no. Real support for the DK2 will be released in a not yet released SDK. And the resolution might be OK. But I’m thinking maybe new optics need to be adjusted for.

I’ve got a modified rift, the current Oculus SDK has support for the DK2 so when you plug it in it will recognize what it is and adjust the games, I’ve tested it on UE4 and it works fine.

By the way, Hawken looks amazing in VR with the HD Rift

Looking through the Rift plugin, there are definitely functions for positional tracking and etc. already there. So, we should hopefully be good to go when they ship.

Nick Whiting would have to comment on the details, but we are working closely with Oculus on DK2 integration and such. Let me ping Nick so he can chime in with the real information.

Thanx! Would be great with some real information. I have no doubt DK2 will work great, but would be fun to know when to expect the full support.

Would love to also hear about Time Warp integration. I saw it’s slated for this month on the roadmap, but am wondering if it’s actively getting worked on now/soon.

The good news is that the engine integration already supports the DK2! If you currently have a DK2, you can grab the latest SDK from Oculus, and compile with that, and the DK2 will be fully supported (positional tracking and all).

We got permissions to redistribute the latest SDK with DK2 support as part of the integration (without grabbing it from Oculus), so that will come in 4.3. Again, if you’re a registered developer with Oculus (it’s free!), you can download the new SDK and plop it in now, but if you aren’t, 4.3 will include it for you.

As for the timewarp integration, we have it in and working, but after discussing the integration with Oculus and the rendering team, there are some changes to the way we expose the renderer to plugins that needed to change. We’re in the process of doing that now, and that will be rolled into main as soon as possible!

You guys are doing an amazing job (and I’ve been part of game engine communities before, both as a user and developer on the engine in question).

It will be extremely awesome to have time warp and DK2 support for when it and CV1 are available.

Thanks! :slight_smile: Timewarp isn’t that far off. We just wanted to make sure that the integration was easy to maintain going forward with the engine! They’ve pushed much more rendering into their SDK, and it’s the first time we’ve had to provide those hooks in the engine, so we want to make sure it’s done right.

Great news!

After learning about time warp and how it works I tweeted @Carmack asking about the potential to fix the translation problem with it: https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/477991226319183872

Sadly it’s not something that seems to be doable real time at all (without servers doing work elsewhere), but it’s a neat idea IMO. Thought I’d link it since it’s sort of relevant here.

This is spot on what I was hoping for! I don’t have a DK2 yet, but it surely has been ordered. This means UE will be DK2 ready in time for the DK2 to arrive. :smiley:

i waiting for DK2 too, hope there are no problems with UE when arrive. I buy it for work with it more than play games.

Will the DK2 be supported on Linux builds? DK1 doesn’t work yet. I see nothing on the roadmap for it either.

Currently, we don’t have support for Oculus on Linux builds, but I’ll add that as something to investigate! Since the SDK is supported on Linux, I don’t see why not! Thanks for the suggestion!

DK2 implementation is of high importance to me. We’re displaying our UE4 based VR product at a big expo at the end of August with it’s own booth and such. We’re expecting to receive about six DK2 kits in July.

Question: Does anyone have an idea how the DK2 positional tracking will work in regards to the First-Person-Template project? More specifically: Will the positional tracking side-step the character a few centimeters or will the character stay put even if your head position changes?

I would presume it’s the former even though the natural / desired action is the latter. I would prefer not to write code on day one of receiving the DK2.

I’d say it just moves the camera and not the character, enabling peaking around corners and such. Probably the easiest implementation too.

That is correct. We use the position to move just the camera to avoid issues with blocked character movement. It’s certainly possible to move the character based on the positional tracking data, but the default implementation just offsets the camera and not the player.