Fully Functional Networked Inventory Tutorial System

Hey folks, I started on the highly demanded series for this long, long tutorial. Please feel free to join me. I will be posting updates to the series daily until it’s completed. Please subscribe to my YouTube channel so that you can receive notifications of when this series is updated. Enjoy and thanks for joining me!

NOTE: THIS SERIES IS CURRENTLY INCOMPLETE BUT NEW VIDEOS ARE BEING RELEASED DAILY UNTIL FULL COMPLETION

Just for newcomers: This tutorial is a series of parts that will introduce you to a fully functional networked inventory system. As shown ,

=

.youtube.com/=&list=PLf6kRoQKXOrIMVvJ5MpXoczqa0jNPAZUh&index=1

Thank you for this !

Anytime :smiley:

very nice
good to see tutorials of the stuff I’ll be wanting to implement in the future :smiley:

is this blueprint or c++? (or how much of each if both)

A big thanks to you for this great tutorial ( and for the big laugh in part 3 : 25.45 It sounds like me ^^)

Haha, not a problem - at least I figured it out lol.

100% Blueprint only.

Great! I was avoiding the whole HUD inventory part for a while so this is very useful.

ps. nice going showing the end result first - often lacking, and I should do the same with my own inventory tutorials, now I’m instantly sold on following along with the HUD implementation (instead of skipping ahead to the last part to check what we’ll be making)

Thanks Tom! A huge callout and thank you goes to you as well for the ideas you brought from your inventory system.

Thank you !

Glad you dug through it and found it useful!

(Could you perhaps add the primary topic for each part in the video title?)

Very good suggestion, and done :slight_smile:

Good job!!
I know it’s a long process and people might just want a template to plug and go ahead with their own ideas.
But it is a good learning process by itself while you try to explain things to people, where you might find better method and solidify your knowledge.

I wish you luck and publish a kick *** game in the future. :slight_smile:

What I have so far (i have my own health and hunger system)

Hello Savaikun,

I believe I have a better way to draw the inventory(That doesn’t include 5 hotbar highlight settings and up to 50+ inventory ones (Not sure if this is how you handle your inventory as well).

When drawing my inventory (Can be done with the hotbars as well) I utilize a single texture as the backdrop (If I ever consider doing an increasing inventory size/Window resizing - I will probably give the base item a texture draw that will expand the inventory as it gets bigger dynamically). I then draw the first inventory slots hitbox(index 0), once that is drawn I save the hitboxes position into a 2d vector array(Index 0 of the hitbox position array now matches up with index 0 of my inventory hitbox).

From there I do a mouse over event check to find which box is hovered over, save the bool that its being hovered over, and do a branch check and only draw the material if its true. Please see my pictures below.

Drawing of the hitbox and saving of that hitboxes position

Once that information has been drawn I receive the draw call to draw my hitboxes as the mouse overs happen and utilize the below to detect which hitbox to highlight.

And my bool settings and saving for hitbox name.

Also is a video of it in use.
://www.youtube.com/=pQA57JOQpsk

EDIT: Yes, my inventory system looks like a mess currently. This is due to it still being built upon and I haven’t taken the time to truly clean things up.

This seems like a much more ideal system and I wish I knew how to do it this way :frowning:

Looking good Crose!

Would you be okay with me using your code on my tutorials?

This is what we’re doing as well. It allows us to scale from 1 inventory item to however many we need (and we can change this in real time).

I have no problem with it. Did you figure out how to make it work? :slight_smile: