User Tag List

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 377

Thread: VICODynamics: a particle based physics library

  1. #1
    5

    VICODynamics: a particle based physics library

    A Particle Based Physics Library Implementing Position Based Dynamics

    Name:  VDS.jpg
Views: 5817
Size:  107.2 KB

    Originally created as a pure UE4 plugin for our game, CHIKARA: Action Arcade Wrestling, in order to create physically simulated Ring Ropes. It was originally called VICO Dynamic Rope System Plugin but was limited in many ways.

    This library is the evolution of the VICO Dynamic Rope System Plugin; not only is this library essentially engine independent (almost true at the moment, requires external Rigid Body physics interface, in the case of UE4) but it also simulates a much more accurate system with higher performance, support for multi-threaded simulation, and most importantly: is in no way limited to just simulating ropes!

    The beauty of using a particle based simulation is that you are never limited in what you can create out of particles and constraints.

    Another big feature of VICO Dynamics; is that it runs on the CPU. This means it supports a wide variety of platforms: PC/Mac/Linux, Mobile and Console! No dependencies to any hardware.

    For more details and performance info, please visit this page: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics


    UPDATE 09/29/16: The plugin is on the Marketplace! Here: https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/vico-dynamics-plugin

    Features coming in the next Update:
    • Procedural Cloth - allows for creating any sized rectangular sheet of cloth: [Complete]
    • Tearing of Cloth - allows for a Cloth object to tear either by pulling or manually "tearing" parts via code/BP [WIP]
      Name:  VICODynamics_ClothTearingPreview_640x448.png
Views: 4690
Size:  298.8 KB
    • Cloth from Meshes - allows for using any Static Mesh as a guide for constructing a Cloth object: [Nearly Complete]


      Collision Tests:

    • Vertex Painting Attachments - allows for using the Vertex Paint tool to designate certain Particles as "attached" or "free": [Not Started]
    • Wind Drag Approximation - allows for more realistic wind resistance behavior on all soft-bodies: [Complete]
    • Real-time Wind Occlusion - allows for other rigid bodies to occlude/block the wind in-front of soft-bodies: [Complete]
    • Performance Improvements - here I'm simulating 256 cloth pieces each with 50 particles running on a Core i7 5820k at 70-120fps depending on the number of collision contacts (details: https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?79906-VICODynamics-a-particle-based-physics-library&p=622639&viewfull=1#post622639)
    • Rope Components can be resized at runtime: [Complete/Released]
    • Can use Skeletal Meshes for Ropes: [Nearly Complete]


    This video shows off V1.0 and a new one covering V1.1 will soon be added.
    Last edited by VICOGameStudio; 01-11-2017 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Added new Rope features
    Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
    Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
    Current Projects:
    CHIKARA: Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) and CHIKARA Pro Wrestling - WIP Thread
    VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

  2. #2
    0
    I really want to make a grappling hook with this. Looks awesome!
    Storyteller - An immersive VR audiobook player

    Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

  3. #3
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by n00854180t View Post
    I really want to make a grappling hook with this. Looks awesome!
    Thank you. A grappling hook implementation is actually on our Trello TODO list.
    Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
    Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
    Current Projects:
    CHIKARA: Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) and CHIKARA Pro Wrestling - WIP Thread
    VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

  4. #4
    0
    Very nice! We need more plugins like these!

  5. #5
    0
    Samaritan
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    94
    This is really awesome, rope physics have been in games for a very long time, but often neglected, so it'd be great to see this inside of UE4. And as a plus, it looks to be a cheap price too!
    Day 1 buy from me when it pops up on the market-place.

    I have cables that I would like players to be able to grab and plug in to machinery, so it'd be great to be able to do this without cables falling through the floor like they do right now.

    One question though, and I don't doubt the capability of the plugin, but will this work with environments that switch between normal gravity and zero-G?

  6. #6
    0
    nice! I can really use this.. I had a basic system in Unity, but since I switched to UE4.. was still looking for a good basic implementation for ropes.. and this looks like the one.
    As soon as the next project comes along where I need rope, I will certainly purchase this.

    Keep up the good work!

  7. #7
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Otreum View Post
    This is really awesome, rope physics have been in games for a very long time, but often neglected, so it'd be great to see this inside of UE4. And as a plus, it looks to be a cheap price too!
    Day 1 buy from me when it pops up on the market-place.

    I have cables that I would like players to be able to grab and plug in to machinery, so it'd be great to be able to do this without cables falling through the floor like they do right now.

    One question though, and I don't doubt the capability of the plugin, but will this work with environments that switch between normal gravity and zero-G?
    Yep, works as expected in zero-G. Also the gravity force can be set/changed at any time during runtime.
    Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
    Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
    Current Projects:
    CHIKARA: Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) and CHIKARA Pro Wrestling - WIP Thread
    VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

  8. #8
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SolDrakibane View Post
    Very nice! We need more plugins like these!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRaven View Post
    nice! I can really use this.. I had a basic system in Unity, but since I switched to UE4.. was still looking for a good basic implementation for ropes.. and this looks like the one.
    As soon as the next project comes along where I need rope, I will certainly purchase this.

    Keep up the good work!
    Thank you!
    Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
    Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
    Current Projects:
    CHIKARA: Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) and CHIKARA Pro Wrestling - WIP Thread
    VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

  9. #9
    0
    Samaritan
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    130
    Excellent work!

    Is it working at very small scale as well?
    I ask is because physics simulations are usually tweaked to work for certain sizes and we've stumbled on this problem recently when we tried to make a rope that was placed close to the camera (so it had to be quite small).
    We ended up giving up on the idea but you've just revived the feature :P
    David Hanson
    You can follow our FPS development here: https://www.facebook.com/storm.united.mmofps

  10. #10
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bigzer View Post
    Excellent work!

    Is it working at very small scale as well?
    I ask is because physics simulations are usually tweaked to work for certain sizes and we've stumbled on this problem recently when we tried to make a rope that was placed close to the camera (so it had to be quite small).
    We ended up giving up on the idea but you've just revived the feature :P
    Happy to hear that and thank you.
    As for the scaling, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I have not tested it though. How small are we talking?
    Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
    Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
    Current Projects:
    CHIKARA: Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) and CHIKARA Pro Wrestling - WIP Thread
    VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

  11. #11
    0
    Infiltrator
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    15
    Great!

    Guys if you add tearable thick cloth support i will definitely using this on our projects (flex not supporting right now btw)

  12. #12
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Korcan View Post
    Great!

    Guys if you add tearable thick cloth support i will definitely using this on our projects (flex not supporting right now btw)
    The physics library supports tearing already, we just need to implement the rendering side in UE4.
    Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
    Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
    Current Projects:
    CHIKARA: Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) and CHIKARA Pro Wrestling - WIP Thread
    VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

  13. #13
    0
    How about if i bought your old plugin? Can i have access to this new one?
    Edit: I just saw on your site that you provide a free upgrade for us, nice. Sign me up

  14. #14
    0
    very cool thanks!

  15. #15
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tommytoad View Post
    How about if i bought your old plugin? Can i have access to this new one?
    Edit: I just saw on your site that you provide a free upgrade for us, nice. Sign me up
    Yep, as you saw: Free upgrade to everyone who purchased the previous Ropes plugin.
    Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
    Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
    Current Projects:
    CHIKARA: Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) and CHIKARA Pro Wrestling - WIP Thread
    VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

  16. #16
    0
    Samaritan
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    109
    This seems like an excellent solution for my football goals in my game. I eagerly await the marketplace greenlight .

    Thanks.
    Currently working on PARGSoft Football

    My day job is a C# ASP.NET Developer, I wish it was a games developer

  17. #17
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by paulv2k4 View Post
    This seems like an excellent solution for my football goals in my game. I eagerly await the marketplace greenlight .

    Thanks.
    Actually never considered that, but you are right. It should work very well.
    Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
    Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
    Current Projects:
    CHIKARA: Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) and CHIKARA Pro Wrestling - WIP Thread
    VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

  18. #18
    0
    Great! I'm looking forward to this!

  19. #19
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Man View Post
    Great! I'm looking forward to this!
    Thank you!
    Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
    Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
    Current Projects:
    CHIKARA: Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) and CHIKARA Pro Wrestling - WIP Thread
    VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

  20. #20
    0
    i think Epic needs to include you're plugin to the main version off UE4 side by side with some awesome plugins in the community

  21. #21
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MuhammadMadi View Post
    i think Epic needs to include you're plugin to the main version off UE4 side by side with some awesome plugins in the community
    That would be pretty cool.
    Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
    Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
    Current Projects:
    CHIKARA: Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) and CHIKARA Pro Wrestling - WIP Thread
    VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

  22. #22
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TooManyfps View Post
    Is the rope dealing well with stress? For example if you put a heavy physics object on one end, fix the other end to a ledge and then push the physics object down that ledge.

    Basically high and sudden forces applied to the rope. Is it sustaining those forces and kept together or will the joints stretch?
    As of right now, the tension force does not transfer between the rope and a Rigid Body. This is a big and rather complicated feature that we will implement very soon.

    With that said, you can "fake" it with the current version by making the particle that has the RigidBody attached heavier. Therefore creating the illusion of weight.
    Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
    Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
    Current Projects:
    CHIKARA: Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) and CHIKARA Pro Wrestling - WIP Thread
    VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

  23. #23
    0
    Just saw this on the community spotlight on the engine launcher... Fantastic work! I've always loved dynamic simulations. This looks great.
    Environment / Level Artist: drewflet.com
    Recent Release: September Game Jam: Climb Fall Repeat

  24. #24
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by oxygencube View Post
    Just saw this on the community spotlight on the engine launcher... Fantastic work! I've always loved dynamic simulations. This looks great.
    Thank you!

    Same here, I love physics simulation in games.
    Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
    Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
    Current Projects:
    CHIKARA: Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) and CHIKARA Pro Wrestling - WIP Thread
    VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

  25. #25
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TooManyfps View Post
    But you can attach physics actors to the end of the rope and, for example, swing it around, right?
    And maybe also change the attached actors at runtime?
    Yes, you can attach Actors to the rope and the Rope to other Actors but if the Actor is a simulating Actor; he will not receive the ropes tension force. This is an important feature that we will be adding soon.
    Yes, you can do anything you want during runtime.
    Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
    Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
    Current Projects:
    CHIKARA: Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) and CHIKARA Pro Wrestling - WIP Thread
    VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

  26. #26
    0
    Here is a quick test/demo of a cloth simulated by VICODynamics and rendered by Allegro:


    Just need to setup the component and rendering code in UE4. I'll post a video of it in UE4 soon.
    Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
    Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
    Current Projects:
    CHIKARA: Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) and CHIKARA Pro Wrestling - WIP Thread
    VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

  27. #27
    0
    And yes, it does support dynamic tearing at runtime!

    Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
    Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
    Current Projects:
    CHIKARA: Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) and CHIKARA Pro Wrestling - WIP Thread
    VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

  28. #28
    0
    Samaritan
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by VICOGameStudio View Post
    Here is a quick test/demo of a cloth simulated by VICODynamics and rendered by Allegro:


    Just need to setup the component and rendering code in UE4. I'll post a video of it in UE4 soon.
    Cool. Can't wait to see this.
    Currently working on PARGSoft Football

    My day job is a C# ASP.NET Developer, I wish it was a games developer

  29. #29

  30. #30
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by BrUnO XaVIeR View Post
    Awesome!

    HAHAHA!

    Thank you.
    Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
    Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
    Current Projects:
    CHIKARA: Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) and CHIKARA Pro Wrestling - WIP Thread
    VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

  31. #31
    0
    Brilliant!

  32. #32
    0
    Looks Awesome!
    will we be able to use it on a full cloth (shirts, pants etc..)? I'm searching for a long time for a good subtitute for apex cloth, which dosent depends on the rag doll rig. how accurate will be the collusions with anoter meshes?

  33. #33
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by AmirGreen View Post
    Looks Awesome!
    will we be able to use it on a full cloth (shirts, pants etc..)? I'm searching for a long time for a good subtitute for apex cloth, which dosent depends on the rag doll rig. how accurate will be the collusions with anoter meshes?
    Once I add in planar collision approximation, clothing should just work. This is something we are going to use in our game, Action Arcade Wrestling 3.
    Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
    Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
    Current Projects:
    CHIKARA: Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) and CHIKARA Pro Wrestling - WIP Thread
    VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

  34. #34
    0
    Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1
    This is really well-made! I hope to use this in the future.

  35. #35
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by NewBrush View Post
    This is really well-made! I hope to use this in the future.
    Thank you!

  36. #36
    0
    That will be some harsh words but, why double work when Nvidia flex already exists and takes into account most of the physics aspect of fluid/rigid body/fire/all else. Not saying that you haven't do great work but i wonder who will purchase it when Flex is for free :\

  37. #37
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hisamera View Post
    That will be some harsh words but, why double work when Nvidia flex already exists and takes into account most of the physics aspect of fluid/rigid body/fire/all else. Not saying that you haven't do great work but i wonder who will purchase it when Flex is for free :\
    Great point actually! Start by saying FleX is not completely free, source still costs licensing. Also, FleX is platform locked to nVidia. Yes, they are planning/working on an OpenCL version. But in the end this is a project that started as a feature for our game and has evolved. It's my take on Soft-Body physics and I decided to share it.

    Also, I'd add that my system is more flexible, pun not intended. It can run in a 2D and 3D environment and has no external dependencies (technically). As stated above, a different take on soft-body physics and Position Based Dynamics.

    Awesome question.
    Last edited by VICOGameStudio; 08-24-2015 at 02:57 PM.
    Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
    Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
    Current Projects:
    CHIKARA: Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) and CHIKARA Pro Wrestling - WIP Thread
    VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

  38. #38
    0
    Samaritan
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    139
    This is great stuff, I wanted to get it when it was just the rope... how long will take to have some of the other features: cloth and soft bodies?
    I will get it when is in marketplace for sure :P

  39. #39
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by catalejo View Post
    This is great stuff, I wanted to get it when it was just the rope... how long will take to have some of the other features: cloth and soft bodies?
    I will get it when is in marketplace for sure :P
    Thank you!

    Cloth and soft bodies are only missing the rendering code, everything else already works! So, I'd say not long at all.
    Should be on the marketplace soon, just waiting on Epic.
    Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
    Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
    Current Projects:
    CHIKARA: Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) and CHIKARA Pro Wrestling - WIP Thread
    VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

  40. #40
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VICOGameStudio View Post
    Start by saying FleX is not completely free, source still costs licensing.
    Hmm... i always believed that unreal developers would have it for free as epic already paid Nvidia for Physx and stuff. Meh whole life in lies

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •