A Particle Based Physics Library Implementing Position Based Dynamics
Originally created as a pure UE4 plugin for our game, CHIKARA: Action Arcade Wrestling, in order to create physically simulated Ring Ropes. It was originally called VICO Dynamic Rope System Plugin but was limited in many ways.
This library is the evolution of the VICO Dynamic Rope System Plugin; not only is this library essentially engine independent (almost true at the moment, requires external Rigid Body physics interface, in the case of UE4) but it also simulates a much more accurate system with higher performance, support for multi-threaded simulation, and most importantly: is in no way limited to just simulating ropes!
The beauty of using a particle based simulation is that you are never limited in what you can create out of particles and constraints.
Another big feature of VICO Dynamics; is that it runs on the CPU. This means it supports a wide variety of platforms: PC/Mac/Linux, Mobile and Console! No dependencies to any hardware.
For more details and performance info, please visit this page: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics
UPDATE 09/29/16: The plugin is on the Marketplace! Here: https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...ynamics-plugin
Features coming in the next Update:
- Procedural Cloth - allows for creating any sized rectangular sheet of cloth: [Complete]
- Tearing of Cloth - allows for a Cloth object to tear either by pulling or manually "tearing" parts via code/BP [WIP]
- Cloth from Meshes - allows for using any Static Mesh as a guide for constructing a Cloth object: [Nearly Complete]
- Vertex Painting Attachments - allows for using the Vertex Paint tool to designate certain Particles as "attached" or "free": [Not Started]
- Wind Drag Approximation - allows for more realistic wind resistance behavior on all soft-bodies: [Complete]
- Real-time Wind Occlusion - allows for other rigid bodies to occlude/block the wind in-front of soft-bodies: [Complete]
- Performance Improvements - here I'm simulating 256 cloth pieces each with 50 particles running on a Core i7 5820k at 70-120fps depending on the number of collision contacts (details: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post622639)
- Rope Components can be resized at runtime: [Complete/Released]
- Can use Skeletal Meshes for Ropes: [Nearly Complete]
This video shows off V1.0 and a new one covering V1.1 will soon be added.