The FPS Tower Defense Toolkit is a pure blueprint framework that enables quick & easy creation of Tower Defense games from a first person shooter perspective.
Marketplace Product Page: https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...efense-toolkit
Listed below are the main features included within this toolkit:
- Basic FPS Movement & Combat.
- Seven types of Towers: Tower Base, Shockwave Tower, Machine Gun Tower, Laser Tower, Sniper Tower, Boost Tower & Trap.
- Three types of Enemy AI: Core Bomber, Melee Bot & Ranged Bot.
- Three types of AI Wave Generation systems, with support for endless waves & repeating wave cycles with dynamically escalating difficulties.
- A Focus Fire system that enables the player to request towers to focus fire on a designated target.
- Automated resource allocation between waves provide players with the abilty to Build, Upgrade, & Sell towers.
- A Mission Stats system that provides the player with the damage & kill stats information at the end of a level.
- Spline driven navigational paths display optimal enemy AI routes from the spawn points to the Power Core.
- Includes a loadout menu at level start with player driven tower selection.
- Modular Grid Generators with drag & drop support to create grid cells for tower placement. The Grid Generators support grid snapping & 360 degree rotational freedom, thus facilitating placement of towers & traps on inclined surfaces & walls.
- The Wave Manager allows complete customization of waves through parameters like EnemyType, NumberOfUnits, SpawnPoint, SpawnDelay, etc.
- Variables are categorized into 'User Defined' & 'Automatically Set' to facilitate identification of customizable parameters.
- The Enemy AI is driven by a combination of modular components, thus facilitating the creation of new types of AI bots with ease.
- The Creep AI Manager keeps track of all potential targets for the creeps, thus freeing them to focus directly on the targets.
- The Game Mode handles initialization of all core gameplay actors from a single central location using a linear workflow design.
- The Player Controller acts as a conduit for all low level HUD update requests, while the Game Instace & HUD classes manage high level HUD changes.
- AI Spawn Points support precached & runtime generation of randomized spawning locations.
- Event driven logic used predominantly over continuously ticking services for HUD updates.
- Blueprint function library employed to easily retrieve references to core gameplay actors from all blueprints.
- All static Tower parameters are store in a centralized Tower Data Array, thus requiring only dynamic parameters such as DPS, Range, etc to be stored within the tower actors.
- The Tower Selection menu is populated dynamically based on information specified in the Tower Data Array, thus eliminating the need for manual HUD changes when adding/removing towers.
Intended Platform: Desktop
Tested on: Windows
Optimized for: Unreal Engine 4.13 & v4.14 (v4.15 Submitted) [Features added in newer versions of Unreal Engine may not be available in the older versions. Check out 'Updates' below to see the features that are available in different versions.]
Gameplay demo of the v2.1 FPS Tower Defense Toolkit (Windows): https://www.dropbox.com/s/a4myd6m1oc...20Demo.7z?dl=0
I have not tested the toolkit on Consoles/Linux/Mac OS. It should be possible, maybe with some modification. But as it's not confirmed yet, I chose not to add that in the target platform.
Planned features for Update XI:
- Improved Design for Holographic Tower Display implementation [Submitted to the Marketplace]
Multiplayer/co-op/lobby chat support is not part of the planned updates at the moment.
Update 1 [v4.8, v4.9]: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post359862
Update 2 [v4.9]: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post383618
Update 3 [v4.9]: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post394143
Update 4 [v4.9, v4.10]: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post424377
Update 5 [v4.9, v4.10]: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post445592
Update 6 [v4.11]: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post520426
Update 7 [v4.12]: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post558103
Update 8 [v4.12]: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post605025
Update 9 [v4.13]: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post615195
Update 10 [V4.14]: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post650880
FPS Tower Defense Toolkit Basics:
1. Wave Manager: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post349206
2. Tower Manager: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post459468
3. Enemy AI: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post459967
4. Enemy Spawn Point: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post497283
1. Is there a way to change the Grid Size? If so, what is the procedure for doing it?
A: Yes, the Grid Size can be changed from one central location, so that it affects all the grid generators in the level. For more details on how to accomplish it, check out: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post439776
2. I noticed that the towers in the toolkit require a tower base to place them in the level. Does the toolkit support placement of towers directly on the grid floors? If not, what would be the easiest way to implement it in my project?
A: The toolkit does not support placement of Towers on the grid generators by default. However you can follow this tutorial to achieve the same result: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post640992
3. I noticed that the toolkit supports tower upgrades that increase the attack power of the towers. However I also want to change the mesh of the tower when it's upgraded? How could I add this feature into the existing Tower Upgrade function?
A: This can be accomplished by making small changes to the default Upgrade Tower functionality. For more details about the implementation, check out: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post455034
4. How do I convert this into a TPS project? [Not compatible after v1.9.1]
A. The toolkit comes with inbuilt support for switching between FPS & TPS [Limited animations in TPS] modes. However, in order to convert it into a purely TPS project, please follow the steps detailed here: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post525087