User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [FREE] Procedural Rope Bridge

Champion

[FREE] Procedural Rope Bridge

Free Physics Enabled Procedural Bridge Blueprint

DOWNLOAD HERE
    File size: 470 MB (compressed)

Drop the blueprint into your level and it will perform a trace creating a physics enabled rope bridge between itself and the trace hit.

This is free to use in your projects (commercially or otherwise), no need to credit me either. I only ask that you don't re-sell this as is.

Latest version V0.5
    Last updated: 22/02/16 @ 21:30 UTC
    Made using Unreal Engine V4.10.4

To install:
    Download the compressed (.rar) project and unpack to a location of your choosing. Once unpacked run the .uproject file which contains an example map demonstrating usage.

To use in your own project, simply migrate the blueprint to the project of your choosing. (see documentation for details)

Features:
    - Automatically creates bridge between any gap or manually set the length
    - Enable/disable guide ropes and posts
    - Solid bridges (physics disabled) or rope style bridges (physics enabled)
    - Set the mass scale of the bridge to make heavy or light variations
    - Easy mesh and material replacement for infinite variations including cables/ropes
    - Set the physics damping of the bridge for stability adjustments

Upcoming/Planned features:
    - Expose post mesh and scale variables
    - Plank ropes
    - Additional slat/plank meshes in various styles (sci fi, pirate, grunge, etc..)
    - Damage and destruction

*Remember to subscribe to this thread if you wish to be notified when an update is available.

Enjoy!

ULLS

Name:  btn_donate_SM.gif
Views: 6740
Size:  1.5 KB

Name:  Bridge.png
Views: 7346
Size:  460.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ULLS; 03-08-2016 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Updated to new version

I'm going to check this out so fast, man. Thanks for sharing.
    Still new to this Unreal business.

But if you like blind let's plays, the Legend of Zelda, or blind let's plays of the Legend of Zelda, check out my blind let's play of the Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword by clicking here. There will be failure, repetition, questionable humor, and also failure.

Champion
    No problem, I just made this rather quickly this afternoon and plan on adding features...

Actually, here's a list of the things I am planning:

1. Some kind of visual joints between the planks (i.e. rope)
    2. Guide rails/ropes
    3. Ability to disable physics and have a fixed/rigid platform option (This was already included in an earlier version I made, the blueprint got corrupted somehow and the entire project had to be re-made)

If there is any feature you'd like to see implemented then please let me know.

Well, ropes and rails sound like a must, definitely. What about the width and breadth of the bridge? Could it be condensed into one solid mesh? What about optional destructibility? Just saying whatever comes into my head.

But if you like blind let's plays, the Legend of Zelda, or blind let's plays of the Legend of Zelda, check out my blind let's play of the Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword by clicking here. There will be failure, repetition, questionable humor, and also failure.

Luminary

Quote Originally Posted by ULLS View Post
    1. Some kind of visual joints between the planks (i.e. rope)
    Should be really easy if you want to modify the existing cable component setup, but I think it may well require C++

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinebeast View Post
    Well, ropes and rails sound like a must, definitely. What about the width and breadth of the bridge? Could it be condensed into one solid mesh? What about optional destructibility? Just saying whatever comes into my head.
    -Attempting rails now, but as ambershee has mentioned would probably require c++....currently there's no way to dynamically attach it via blueprint so I'm experimenting with other options.
    -The plank mesh is replaceable by the end user, so the width of the bridge is completely down to what mesh is used...I didn't expose the mesh scale because scaled meshes suck.
    -Destruction I can easily add, and will do so asap (thanks!!)
    -One solid mesh?? I'm not sure what you mean here...It obviously needs multiple meshes otherwise there would be no movement...
    Last edited by ULLS; 04-13-2015 at 05:17 PM.

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ambershee View Post
    Should be really easy if you want to modify the existing cable component setup, but I think it may well require C++
    Yeah, I was hoping to keep it BP only....the cable actor really needs some BP love

Champion
    I've just updated it so physics can be disabled (solid bridge)

Champion
    Upcoming/Planned features:

- Guiderails
    - Slat/plank ropes
    - Additional slat/plank meshes in various styles (sci fi, pirate, grunge, etc..)
    - Dynamic material/s with parameters exposed to the blueprint allowing for many different styles (sci fi, pirate, grunge, etc..)
    - Damage and destruction
    - Ability to dynamically create bridges in game (i.e. bridge gun/bridge building tool)

If anyone would like to see a particular feature added then please let me know.
    Last edited by ULLS; 04-13-2015 at 05:10 AM.

thank you

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepingdragon View Post
    thank you
    You're welcome, be sure to check back soon as new features will be added regularly

Thanks ULLS! Very nice BP and thank you for providing it for free

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Bean View Post
    Thanks ULLS! Very nice BP and thank you for providing it for free
    You're welcome Martin! Please let me know if you'd like to see any features added.

You're welcome Martin! Please let me know if you'd like to see any features added.
    I think I'll wait to see what the update brings

Champion
    Okay, good news!! I've managed to get guide rails and posts working by using the cable actor. I will spend some time refining this before I upload the update.

Name:  GuideRopes.PNG
Views: 12116
Size:  371.2 KB

Name:  Defaults.PNG
Views: 12076
Size:  35.5 KB
    Last edited by ULLS; 04-13-2015 at 04:54 PM.

Luminary

Looking good

Wow, you work fast. This is really sweet.

Champion
    I've added the ability to offset the posts Y axis to cater for different width slat/plank meshes, I've also exposed an X axis offset for the end stumps as they get generated at the hit location....this allows them to be moved back slightly to prevent them floating on the edge of a cliff. I have also now added a mass scale parameter so you can set how light/heavy the bridge is. For the ropes, I've so far exposed a parameter to set how tight/loose they are.

I'll probably upload this to the site tomorrow evening after work as I'd like to comment the BP properly so everyone can easily follow what is going on in the blueprint and do a little cleanup. I also wan't to get it all looking nicer too, currently the posts and cables have no materials.

Champion
    Okay, I decided to upload it in its current state, it's not too messy and is relatively easy to follow....I'll work on cleaning and comments tomorrow.

Champion
    A little update...

Last night I tidied some things up and now got it to auto detect the mesh size which makes it zero hassle when using a custom mesh, with particular meshes this looks like a plausible rope too so I will probably use this method instead of the cable actor for the guide ropes as it can handle collisions.

I've also started working on an in game bridge building system, you place the bridge bp actor in the level and can call a 'build' event (via pop up menu perhaps) which will start building the bridge....the longer the gap is the longer it takes to build the bridge.

I'll try to get this all finished and uploaded on Sunday (I'm going to take a break from computer screens for a couple of days and drink beer instead)
    Last edited by ULLS; 04-17-2015 at 05:33 AM.

(I'm going to take a break from computer screens for a couple of days and drink beer instead)
    Beste idea I heard since a long time... I'm gonna join you!

Meanwhile I patiently wait for your next update. Keep up the good work

Hey there, if you have a minute, I have an issue. (Sorry.)

I've been playing around with the bridge BP, customizing it in some ways, and I can't seem to switch out the plank mesh without ruining the collision detection. Whenever I switch the mesh to one of my own and I go to move my character onto it, the bridge freaks out, launches my character a million feet into the air and crashes the engine. I've tried fiddling with the Mesh Mass Scale, which appears to dilute the effect, but doesn't fix things. Are there some measurements I should be aware of?

In the meantime, of course, the planks you've provided work just fine, so I'll stick with those.

I hope I'm not biting into your relaxation time.

Elite
    Looks pretty cool ULLS! Hope to mess with it soon!
    Favorite Quotes:
    "History is indeed little more than the register of the crimes, follies and misfortunes of mankind." -Edward Gibbon
    "Whoever does not miss the Soviet Union has no heart. Whoever wants it back has no brain." -Vladimir Putin
    "No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair." -General George S. Patton.

Champion
    Hey there, if you have a minute, I have an issue. (Sorry.)

I've been playing around with the bridge BP, customizing it in some ways, and I can't seem to switch out the plank mesh without ruining the collision detection. Whenever I switch the mesh to one of my own and I go to move my character onto it, the bridge freaks out, launches my character a million feet into the air and crashes the engine. I've tried fiddling with the Mesh Mass Scale, which appears to dilute the effect, but doesn't fix things. Are there some measurements I should be aware of?

In the meantime, of course, the planks you've provided work just fine, so I'll stick with those.

I hope I'm not biting into your relaxation time.
    Hi, Glad to hear you are playing with it. The first thing I would check is the actual collision volume on the mesh you are using, make sure it isn't larger than the mesh itself. Also, the physics constraint node has some settings that may help. I have been a bit slack in uploading the updated version which auto detects the size of the mesh based on its collision volume. If I recall, I also fixed another bug in this where disabling the posts didn't actually remove their collision volumes. This might solve the problems you are having....I'll get it uploaded this evening.
    Last edited by ULLS; 04-28-2015 at 03:59 AM.

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 94 View Post
    Looks pretty cool ULLS! Hope to mess with it soon!
    Thanks! I'll be uploading a newer version this evening which fixes a few issues so I'd recommend waiting for that.

Hi, Glad to hear you are playing with it. The first thing I would check is the actual collision volume on the mesh you are using, make sure it isn't larger than the mesh itself. Also, the physics constraint node has some settings that may help. I have been a bit slack in uploading the updated version which auto detects the size of the mesh based on its collision volume. If I recall, I also fixed another bug in this where disabling the posts didn't actually remove their collision volumes. This might solve the problems you are having....I'll get it uploaded this evening.
    Hey, that worked! Well, it helped a bunch, at any rate. The bridge is terribly wobbly, but now it doesn't freak out. Thanks! Looking forward to the update this evening.

Champion
    Great! I've didn't get a chance to upload it last night, I'll aim to get it done this evening instead.

Very nice.
    <--- could use that.
    Thank you
    My small game on IndieDB ****** Beams on Twitter ****** Beams on Steam ****** VideoStuff ****** PictureStuff
    UE brings Math back into my life or i am not sure.

Champion
    Hi all, I've uploaded the latest version, this release adds the automatic mesh size detection and fixes a bug or two. I made these changes a couple of weeks ago and haven't had time to test properly so if you do encounter any problems please let me the details and I will fix and upload.

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftbauch View Post
    Very nice.
    <--- could use that.
    Thank you
    You're welcome

For the most part things work better than ever.

But when I run the game in standalone mode -- or open the level from another level -- the bridge explodes into a maelstrom of spinning boards. When I disable the bridge's physics there's no problem -- unsurprisingly. I've tested the issue with my customized planks-and-settings and the default planks-and-settings, and both explode.

When I disable the posts, however, the bridge is fine. Furthermore, when I check the posts and completely disable their collision, the bridge is fine. So, clearly there's something wrong with my posts and their bounding box, but I have no idea what. I'll keep tweaking them -- who knows, I might stumble upon something -- but I thought you should know. Maybe you have advice for me.

Again, thank you for your hard work.

Champion

But when I run the game in standalone mode -- or open the level from another level -- the bridge explodes into a maelstrom of spinning boards. When I disable the bridge's physics there's no problem -- unsurprisingly. I've tested the issue with my customized planks-and-settings and the default planks-and-settings, and both explode.

When I disable the posts, however, the bridge is fine. Furthermore, when I check the posts and completely disable their collision, the bridge is fine. So, clearly there's something wrong with my posts and their bounding box, but I have no idea what. I'll keep tweaking them -- who knows, I might stumble upon something -- but I thought you should know. Maybe you have advice for me.

Again, thank you for your hard work.
    Yeah, it sounds like this is a collision issue. Have you downloaded the latest version and are you using custom posts?
    Within the editor you could show all collision volumes to see if there is something overlapping any of the planks. I'd be happy to take a look for you if you wan't?

Set up the posts with a Custom collision response in their settings, and make it so that they won't collide with whatever group the rest of the bridge is made of (may need to set custom settings on the rest of the bridge physics as well though).

Looks great! Thanks!

I just thinking about how I was going to make this type of bridge. Thank you so much for this.

Champion
    No worries, you may run into issues though so be warned.

To maximize performance you'd ideally make a single static mesh that has a few planks (maybe 3 -5) hard linked, this will minimize the amount of constraints that are used without affecting the overall bridges flex behavior.

There may be bugs and stuff too so if you run into any problems then please let me know so I can fix them. In fact, I haven't looked at this project for two months so I'm not sure how it performs (or even works at all) in 4.8.

Wow I can't wait to try it out! Thank you for that!

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by BrightSoul View Post
    Wow I can't wait to try it out! Thank you for that!
    You're welcome BrightSoul!

....Please be aware that this was made in version 4.7 and may not work in the subsequent releases, if this is the case then pm me and I'll get it fixed up

You're welcome BrightSoul!

....Please be aware that this was made in version 4.7 and may not work in the subsequent releases, if this is the case then pm me and I'll get it fixed up
    or you can just update the post so i can have a copy
    Game Designer @ Masked Pharaohs ..
    I'm Providing Arabic Support For Any One ..

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Bedier View Post
    or you can just update the post so i can have a copy
    Hi Andrew, it should open fine in 4.10 but I did actually spend some time updating this project and will look at getting it uploaded soon. If you're interested, I've updated some of the meshes and textures, added a Boolean which (when disabled) prevents it from automatically setting the distance and I've made some stability changes to the physics settings. I intend on fixing a few other bits and bobs before I upload the project. Keep an eye on this thread over the next few days

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast