User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ongoing C++ Gameplay Example Series: Making a Survival Game

Ongoing C++ Gameplay Example Series: Making a Survival Game

Hi guys!

Some of you may know me from my earlier work or these forums. Starting today, I am part of the Epic Games family as Engine Content Creator! I will be creating a small third-person survival game series in C++ as my first community project. Here are the details:

The series will be split up in 6 sections, released individually every 2 weeks. You can follow along with the source code through a public repository on Github.

You'll learn about the game framework, how to deal with physics, materials, ray-casting, casting, replication, and many more concepts that have been covered in Blueprint countless times, but this time it will all be done in C++! Blueprint is still part of the series however! You will learn how to combine C++ and BP in your project and how to expose your code to be extended by Blueprint.

The game will be a third-person survival game focusing on familiar mechanics from games in this genre. This includes weapons, hunger/thirst and movable traps / barriers to build your defences. The series will cover networking, so at the end of the series you and a friend can hop on the game together and hunt down some zombies! More details on the project will come with each released section!

Name:  Section6_coopoverview.jpg
Views: 23358
Size:  434.3 KB

Name:  Section6_barrier01.jpg
Views: 23331
Size:  256.0 KB

Each section will be announced on the forums through a new thread, you are free to ask questions every time a new section is released.

Here are the links to each section

Section 1
    - This section sets up the third person character movement with animation, object interaction, simple hunger system, all with networking support.
    Section 2
    - Adds weapon support for the character, a flashlight, UT-style inventory with on-character visual representation of the carried items and deals with damage, death and respawns for players.
    Section 3
    - Introduces AI with PawnSensing and Behavior Trees.
    Section 4
    - Introduces a gameloop with enemies, items, scoring and a time of day.
    Section 5
    - Discusses a few practical examples on networking the game. Adds support to move around objects in the world
    Section 6
    - In the sixth and for now final section of the series we'll apply a coat of polish to the game, including improved AI behavior, zombie sound FX and bug fixes.

If you have questions and/or feedback, let me know in this thread! Hope you guys are as excited about this series as I am!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Tom Looman; 06-26-2015 at 07:46 AM. Reason: added section info
    Game Developer @ LODZERO - My Twitter | tomlooman.com UE4 samples & tutorials | C++ Survival Game (Open-source template)

Congrats! I wish they'd give me a badge for the stuff I'm doing for the documentation / Learn tab but I'll have to just be jealous of you for now! Awesome work Looman, You deserve it!
    KITATUS
    "Information shouldn't be behind a paywall, It should be free for all!"

Promoter
    First of all congrats! I can hardly imagine how awesome it has to be for you right now

I do have a small question about this format. Every two weeks but this is supposed to be a video tutorial type of series right? Because that would certainly be awesome and quite a bit more interesting that the current sample games. No doubt those are cool as well but to really follow something like this step by step is a great way to help people who have the basics down but need some kinds of guide on how to approach a project.
    With this in mind I would like to see this started with some kind of "goals" or todos... basically the game design document. What is the gameplay supposed to be and which parts are important? So people are able to follow everything. Not just the step by step decisions but also the abstract mechanics which are supposed to be implemented and how you get from those to finished mechanics.

To finish my quick statement. It sounds like a great step forward to get people to understand UEs structure and the follow along sounds great! I thought exactly the same about the recent temple run game series on youtube. That was just great!

Hello Tom Looman ,

Congrats ! Very cool project but the series can be followed by c ++ beginner ?

Thank

This is very interesting. I will surely follow this, as I'm very much interested in learning C++ with Unreal Engine.

Congrats Tom ! waiting forward for this
    Twitter [ LINK ] Blueprint AI Templates [ LINK ] Blueprint Learning Templates[ LINK ] Blueprint/C++ Advanced Templates , Tools & Plugins[ LINK ]

Infiltrator

Will definitly keep an Eye on this one! C++ knowledge always welcome. And Congrats ;P

Mythic

Wow, congratulations Tom! Looking forward to the tutorials, will be great to see some new C++ examples!

This is awesome Tom! Congrats. I will certainly be following this

Awesome! Everything you do in Unreal seems so clean and correct. Very excited for this.

That's AWESOME, But please, check the API correctly, Last C++ tutorial I suffered bec. of the Build version difference

Love you all <3

Congratulations Tom! It'll be very interesting C++ journey. Can't wait and I hope there will be video tutorials. I will follow for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTm View Post
    Hello Tom Looman ,

Congrats ! Very cool project but the series can be followed by c ++ beginner ?

Thank
    That is definitely the intention. It's not going to be a step-by-step, but I'll try to make the code as straight forward as possible, adding comments to explain the concepts and documentation will be available to further explain the reasoning behind certain coding concepts etc.
    Game Developer @ LODZERO - My Twitter | tomlooman.com UE4 samples & tutorials | C++ Survival Game (Open-source template)

Quote Originally Posted by Omar Vector View Post
    That's AWESOME, But please, check the API correctly, Last C++ tutorial I suffered bec. of the Build version difference

Love you all <3
    Right! This is definitely something that requires maintenance! The C++ API has been changing with each version, my own C++ tutorial requires an update with I hope to resolve very soon! Thanks for letting me know.

Congrats! This is amazing news for newbies in ue4 api like me Thx for covering this. It is much appreciated!

Hell yeah! Cannot wait for this

Awesome, I have a feeling this will be a great resource especially with the talent behind it! =)

Following!

Yeah! Awesome! I'm really happy for you Tom

Congrats man you deserve it with all what you are doing at such a high quality!
    - Martin

https://twitter.com/neryun
    Project Management at GoodGame Studios
    Private UE4 Project - LV147

Thanks guys! I'll do my best to make this something Epic!

Can't wait

Sweet man, sounds good and I love things with c++, plus since were both Tom's, I know it will be great lol

Congrats and thank for this, i really need more C++ gameplay example and i will follow this series!

Thank you very much ! Looking forward to this ! Very much appreciated

Congrats to your new position! I'll be waiting with excitement about the tutorial series ^^ Great work man!

Unreal Engine Developer
    We are thrilled to have you aboard, Tom. I know the knowledge you can share with the community will be immensely beneficial.
    Stephen Ellis | Lead Engine Support Technician | Epic Games | @TheEpicStephen
    How to report a bug | >>Click here to report a bug<<

Infiltrator
    As I am currently working on exactly this for my own project. I look forward to leveraging anything you do that I haven't done yet or could be done better!

Infiltrator
    Awesome stuff. Looking forward to it.

Sounds very interesting, will def follow this.

Nice, will have to stay tuned for this one!

great news

Samaritan
    THis is awesome! Congrats and I'm looking forward to the series!

I'm very very very much looking forward to this. Thanks for doing it!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Ellis View Post
    We are thrilled to have you aboard, Tom. I know the knowledge you can share with the community will be immensely beneficial.
    Thank you Stephen!

I'll just repeat what I said on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by [URL="https://twitter.com/BenjaminDSmithy"
    BenjaminDSmithy[/URL]]
    @UnrealEngine @t_loomanAwesome man though isn't the Survival Game genre kinda bloated as is
    Though I guess you're catering to the largest common denominator when it comes to tutorials & I personally welcome the competition either way (currently working on a Survival Horror Game myself )
    Regards,
    Benjamin D. Smith

Founder & CEO | Binary Sword Pty Ltd
    Currently working on: ODIN Tracker (UE4 Plugin)

Quote Originally Posted by benjamin.smith View Post
    I'll just repeat what I said on Twitter

Though I guess you're catering to the largest common denominator when it comes to tutorials & I personally welcome the competition either way (currently working on a Survival Horror Game myself )
    It's a genre and design I picked to appeal to a wide audience, a game which has features that can be used by many games and users of Unreal. And like you pointed out, you are working on one yourself, so that is kind of proving the point

Wow this is so awesome that you will cover multiplayer. I've built the base for survival game (hunger, thirst, health, shooting, picking items, eating etc) but I couldn't make it multiplayer. I would gladly watch your tutorial series to see how it's done.

That would be awesome indeed.

Infiltrator
    Awesome Looking forward to this!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast