User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gear VR support?

Gear VR support?

We used to have a Gear VR card on Trello that was marked "complete", and it looks like we have a new one added December 4.

Is there any support for this device in 4.6? The new card implies we won't get any support till 4.7.

Will support be coming to a fork such as the following before getting official support?
    https://github.com/Oculus-VR/UnrealEngine

About to have the device in-hand and would love to feed it some UE4 goodness!

I was curious about this myself. My Gear VR arrived yesterday and I am eager to start developing. I've thought about starting an Android project and then trying to port it over when 4.7 releases. I'm not sure how well that would migrate, even though Gear VR is running on Android. I assume it's probably just best to wait.

Anyone at Epic get their Gear VR yesterday?

I remember Carmack tweeting in November that UE4 took its first breath on Gear VR. He has seemingly removed the tweet later on.

Yeah, I saw that too. It seems that he has a history of tweeting things before he's supposed to because that has happened a couple of times.

Hopefully we will either see a fork like the early DK2 support or a preview build with the mobile SDK integrated. I just hope there's no major issues impacting integration.

Does anyone have an idea of the process of packaging out to gear vr. I want to be as read up on the process as possible while I wait for the preview build.

I would suggest downloading the SDK from Oculus. It contains a lot of great documentation including packaging / approval process.

Thanks I'm reading through that now. Do you think we also have to wait for Oculus to come out with their UE4 mobile integration like they have for Unity?

Unreal Engine Developer
    We're happy to announce that we have support for GearVR coming officially in 4.7. We developed it during 4.6, but we were using a custom build of the Gear VR SDK that had some tweaks we needed in order to cleanly integrate.

Packaging for Gear VR goes through our standard Android packaging path.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Whiting View Post
    We're happy to announce that we have support for GearVR coming officially in 4.7..
    Great to hear! Does this include Samsung Gamepad support? I noticed today that I can't get the gamepad to register in UE4 on PC because it isn't an Xinput device. I assume the Gear VR SDK helps in this regard.

Also, it would be awesome to know if Gear VR support is going to sneak its way into some of the preview builds that were talked about last livestream.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Whiting View Post
    We're happy to announce that we have support for GearVR coming officially in 4.7. We developed it during 4.6, but we were using a custom build of the Gear VR SDK that had some tweaks we needed in order to cleanly integrate.

Packaging for Gear VR goes through our standard Android packaging path.
    Awesome!
    Is there any chance that the current 4.7 github build contains the Gear VR-support today?..

Br,
    Inx

The first 4.7 preview build is available. I'm downloading it now. However, I didn't see any mention of the Oculus Mobile SDK so don't get too excited just yet.

Any word yet on Gear VR? Also has anybody found where to download the Android SDK mentioned in the documentation? https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...ted/index.html

It looks like the free version of Unity now supports Oculus Rift and Gear VR development. I'm still holding out for UE4 support but it's nice to know the option is available without the 12 month commitment to Unity Pro and Android Pro subscriptions.

https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=18427

Would love to see this also

Infiltrator
    Will Google Cardboard support will be coming as a part of the 4.7 update with Gear VR?

Samaritan
    Looks like Gear VR support is in the master and promoted branches if anyone wants to try it out and let us know how it goes!

No dice. I get all the way to launching the game on the Note 4 but then a message pops up:

Plugin 'GearVR' failed to load because module 'GearVR' could not be found. Please ensure the plugin is properly installed, otherwise consider disabling the plugin for this project.
    Any help?

Quote Originally Posted by sinoth View Post
    No dice. I get all the way to launching the game on the Note 4 but then a message pops up:

Any help?
    Were you trying to launch it on the Note 4 without it being connected to your GearVR?

Ok, after a bit more digging I found out you need to do some manual plugin setup. Browse to the following folder:

Code:
    GITHUB_CLONE\Engine\Source\ThirdParty\Oculus\LibOVRMobile\LibOVRMobile_04
    Inside there is a readme you need to follow. Basically you are downloading the Mobile SDK, placing it in the folder, and running a .bat file to "install" it.

Even after following these instructions I get the same plugin failed to load message :/

Quote Originally Posted by NobleSpoon View Post
    Were you trying to launch it on the Note 4 without it being connected to your GearVR?
    This is something I'm confused about as well. You can't launch the app while connected to GearVR because the app doesn't show up in the Oculus Home app.

Other games in the store pop up a message that says "Insert device: To open this application, insert your device into your Gear VR." The Unreal app doesn't do this.

Samaritan
    They just updated the Mobile SDK to 0.41 on master, maybe that will help fix some of your issues?

Also, in terms of launching, the 4.7 branch seems to have some new faster launching options including one that launches using your machine as a file server, maybe one of those would better serve you? I'm not sure if Oculus Home is the only way to launch or maybe Unreal can directly launch it remotely for you.

Quote Originally Posted by hesham View Post
    They just updated the Mobile SDK to 0.41 on master, maybe that will help fix some of your issues?

Also, in terms of launching, the 4.7 branch seems to have some new faster launching options including one that launches using your machine as a file server, maybe one of those would better serve you? I'm not sure if Oculus Home is the only way to launch or maybe Unreal can directly launch it remotely for you.
    I've been using the straight-to-device launcher option but that doesn't help with the plugin issue. My guess is that somehow the GearVR plugin is not being included in the Android build. It never makes it to the device. I don't understand the build system well enough to say for sure.

I've been using the straight-to-device launcher option but that doesn't help with the plugin issue. My guess is that somehow the GearVR plugin is not being included in the Android build. It never makes it to the device. I don't understand the build system well enough to say for sure.
    Did you generate the appropriate signature file for your device?

From the SDK doc "Device and Environment Setup":

II.1.3 What You Need To Run Your Own App - Oculus Signature file

Application signing is an important step in this process. In order to access the full functionality
    of the VR APIs, your app will require a temporary Oculus Signature file (osig).

When your app is ready for publication we will take care of this signing process for you.
    However, in order to test your app prior to store submission, you will need to generate a
    temporary developer signature file that is unique to your device. Please note that your app
    will not run properly unless it is built with the inclusion of this signature file

Always check our developer portal for the latest developments regarding app submission and
    guidelines at https://developer.oculus.com. We will continue to streamline this process to
    help simplify development with our SDK.

Quote Originally Posted by NobleSpoon View Post
    Did you generate the appropriate signature file for your device?

From the SDK doc "Device and Environment Setup":
    I do have a signature generated, but I'm not sure what to do with it. The Oculus docs only cover Unity and native. Will see if I can inject it manually into the apk or something...

Ran into a couple of issues with 4.7 preview 2. First, when I try to build the sun temple template project as a test for GearVR, I choose android ETC2 and a window immediately pops up that says "Android Development Setup, You are missing some required components for Android game creation. Even if you have installed the Android SDK already, there may be some missing components or environment variable" It redirects to https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...ted/index.html which are the exact directions I have followed.

I have all android SDK prerequisites loaded properly and am able to build Unity GearVR demos without issue, so not sure why I'm still receiving this message. I loaded every checkbox from the android SDK manager just to be sure.

Also, when I try to import the oculussig_ file into the project it informs me that it is an unknown extension. So even if I could get an APK to build I doubt it would launch without that file. Has anyone had any luck with this?

Edit:
    I have tried going to edit > project settings > Platforms (on the left) > android, and configuring the project for android. I clicked open manifest and placed the Oculus signature file in a "assets" folder I created there. But I am still getting the popup window when trying to build an android ETC2 project that mentions "You are missing some required components"

Edit2: Ok so I edited the AndroidManifest.xml under project settings, Andoid, "open manifest folder". Added the line <meta-data android:name="com.samsung.android.vr.application.mode" android:value="vr_only"/> above the tag </application> in that XML file. I placed the oculus sig file in a folder called "assets" there. I also check boxed "Package .pak in APK" under project settings, packaging which got rid of the "You are missing some required components" error window. I was able to create an APK and launch it on the GearVR, but it would immediately go to a black screen then the Oculus Store homepage. If I set the screen orientation to Sensor Landscape before packaging I can see the content in the GearVR, but it is not in VR mode.. just 2D mode. Any ideas?
    Last edited by haggler2; 01-12-2015 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by haggler2 View Post
    Added the line <meta-data android:name="com.samsung.android.vr.application.mode" android:value="vr_only"/> above the tag </application> in that XML file.
    Where did you get the info to try this?

Samaritan
    Where did you get the info to try this?
    I'm guessing from this parallel thread on the Oculus forums: https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=19148
    Last edited by hesham; 01-13-2015 at 02:39 PM.

I'm guessing from this parallel thread on the Oculus forums: https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=19148
    Yup. So I didn't realize there was a GearVR plugin I also had to activate (I grabbed it from Github) Now when I execute an app I get the black screen of death dvddoe was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Oul View Post
    Will Google Cardboard support will be coming as a part of the 4.7 update with Gear VR?
    ^^^ This! I would also like to know if any Google cardboard support will be coming for those of us who haven't pulled the trigger as of yet on GearVR

Quote Originally Posted by pinkBaldMonk3y View Post
    ^^^ This! I would also like to know if any Google cardboard support will be coming for those of us who haven't pulled the trigger as of yet on GearVR
    Second that! Many early adapters of VR will go for Cardboard.

Quote Originally Posted by kindfox View Post
    Second that! Many early adapters of VR will go for Cardboard.
    I consider myself an early VR adopter. I have Google Cardboard, DK1, DK2, and now GearVR. As you probably know GearVR is on a completely different level than Cardboard. Google Cardboard is actually pretty terrible as it stands right now. The latency is aweful, and I personally could care less if Epic added support for it really.

It's okay for getting a really rough idea of what VR is like if you are on a tight budget. But still pretty terrible nonetheless. Until google makes some big changes on the software side (and I don't think that would even be enough, probably need additional IMUs I imagine) I won't be supporting it personally, do not care if there are more potential sales for myself (because more users would have access to it). I won't support something I don't think is up to par. The only thing I care about is VR actually succeeding this time around, even more than myself making a few bucks riding the VR hype train. I will not play any part in potentially poisoning the VR well as I believe products like cardboard do. Hope this doesn't come off as too harsh, I just dislike cardboard.

has anyone had any luck launching Samsung note 4 successfully using preview 3 yet?

Quote Originally Posted by haggler2 View Post
    I consider myself an early VR adopter. I have Google Cardboard, DK1, DK2, and now GearVR. As you probably know GearVR is on a completely different level than Cardboard. Google Cardboard is actually pretty terrible as it stands right now. The latency is aweful, and I personally could care less if Epic added support for it really.

It's okay for getting a really rough idea of what VR is like if you are on a tight budget. But still pretty terrible nonetheless. Until google makes some big changes on the software side (and I don't think that would even be enough, probably need additional IMUs I imagine) I won't be supporting it personally, do not care if there are more potential sales for myself (because more users would have access to it). I won't support something I don't think is up to par. The only thing I care about is VR actually succeeding this time around, even more than myself making a few bucks riding the VR hype train. I will not play any part in potentially poisoning the VR well as I believe products like cardboard do. Hope this doesn't come off as too harsh, I just dislike cardboard.
    Yeah, I agree, Cardboard experience cannot compete with GearVR now, but I think hardware developers will develop DIY Cardboard with dedicated IMU in it to enhance the overall experience.
    As content provider, I simply see potential in it. But who knows, it may turn out to be good or bad in this coming year. I just hope when it turns out good, my content can be ported to it without too much trouble.

It doesn't look like theres been much success in getting a build on the gear so that makes me feel a little better I did note that some of you are putting the "VR_only" line inside the androidmanifest.xml file of the project folder, I've been talking to to a dev from unreal and he told me to put that line inside the androidmanifest file of the engine/build/android/java.

Does anybody know if we are supposed to save the file on the sd card? When I launch the project it builds and creates the executable on my phone and when I touch it it tells me to connect gear to my device when I do the screen goes black and just takes me to oculus home. I was thinking maybe i just need to put the .exe into the folder with all the other games similiarly to how you put video on the gear but I couldn't find where the game executables are stored.

where exactly do you put the VR_only inside the andriodmanifest.xml? what is the syntax?

Hi All, I'm Trying to get the GearVR plugin to work in Unreal and build out to the phone.

I've tried to work out from all of the above posts what i'm "step" i'm missing to get past the ~"GearVR" module is missing~ message that pops up on the phone. I'm just installing Visual Studio to see if you have to run projects in C++ mode and not as a blueprint, but other than that i'm stumped and its probably really obvious.

Unreal 4.7.0 preview 4
    New project empty blue print
    GearVR plugin enabled and restarted

Project-Settings-Packaging: "Package .pak in APK" selected
    Platforms-Android: Platform files are Writable in green

Edited AndroidManifest.xml in Project-folder/Build/Android
    Added line <meta-data android:name="com.samsung.android.vr.application.mode" android:value="vr_only"/> after <application>
    Have also tried just before </application> tag.

Also added Camera Permission, out of desperation.
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.CAMERA" />

Samsung SM-G900X
    Android 4.4.2

Tried both File>Package Project>Android>Android(All) and File>Package Project>Android>Android(DXT)

I have the oculus SDk downloaded, but not sure if i have to do anything else with it.

Any advice appreciated.

Edit/Update: Tried the following, it didn't work for me.

Here are MarcelBlanck's instructions:

...It might be possible on preview, but I did it on the master branch. It should be possibe on promoted also, master was only a few commits ahead.

1. Make sure all Verions SDK, ANT, NDK are standard for UE4 and on PATH. So just let the the UnrealEngine/Engine/Extras/Android/tadp-2.0r8-windows.exe do it's job
    2. Checkout the master or promoted branch
    3. Open Visualstudio and build the whole Project with x64 | Development Editor
    4. After that build one mor time but only UE4 by rightclicking on it and with target Android | Development
    5. In the explorer go to UnrealEngine\Engine\Source\ThirdParty\Oculus\LibOVRMobile\LibOVRMobile_041
    6. Execute the InstallVRLib.bat
    7. Open your Project with the build Engine Editor and make sure it has the Project Settings > Target Hardware to mobile and scalable, under Input select Default Touch Interface and clear it (we do not want that sticks)
    8. Enable the GearVR plugin!
    9. In UE4 Editor, I have set the Project Settings> Andoid SDK paths correctly to the one you build the engine with
    10. Go to Project Settings > Android > APK Packaging and set Minimum SDK version to 19
    11. Go to Project Settings > Android > Advanced APK Packaging and add <meta-data android:name="com.samsung.android.vr.application.mode" android:value="vr_only" /> (To bad they automated the Manifest production)
    12. In the same category, a few lines below, add android.permission.CAMERA to the Extra Permissions
    13. Check the rest of the settings is default, ES2 and arm 7 build selected
    14. IMPORTANT - got to your Projects folder MyProject/Build/Android and create a folder named "assets" - put your downloaded generated Oculus signature file in that folder
    15. Go to File > PAckage Project > Android > Android ETC2

DONE!

I still had a crash with the FPS Template, the android debug log said the Crosshair Texture was null... wtf. I deleted it in the project and I was able to run it, and look around with my GearVR! So make sure you check your adb logcat output and find the exact reason for a the problem if you get a black screen - Mostly it will be near words like Exception ot WINDEATH

If you want full Samsung controller support apply the patch in the original post here. I will now start to check what kind of events the build-in touchpad and Backkey throw. I also need to know how to access the GearVR Main Menu and how to go to Oculus Home. So still some work to do. Then the development fun can begin.

[/I]
    Last edited by haggler2; 01-31-2015 at 08:46 AM.

Samaritan
    New update in the Master branch to the 0.4.2 Mobile SDK which probably means it has some other fixes as well. Anyone care to give it another go?

Unreal Engine Developer
    Alright. For anyone who wants to grab the latest from the GitHub 4.7 branch, these instructions should get you started.

Prerequisites:
    - Have a Note 4 and GearVR kit, and already be set up with the ability to build and deploy Android UE4 projects to your device
    - Grab 4.7 from GitHub and run the Setup.bat in order to get the latest binaries. Please make sure to re-run Setup.bat if you have already run it, because there are new libraries for GearVR support
    - Get an osig file for your device from https://developer.oculus.com/tools/osig/
    - Create an 'assets' directory within Engine/Build/Android/Java, and place your osig file in this assets directory. Your project *will not run* on device without this osig present in this directory at packaging time

Build and Run the editor:
    - Run GenerateProjectFiles.bat to update your solution
    - Open ue4.sln in visual studio, and build and run the UE4 project in 'Development Editor - Win64' configuration

Create your project:
    - Select the 'New Project' tab
    - Select the 'C++' tab (currently GearVR support requires a C++ project since plugins are not built into the default executables)
    - Select the 'First Person' template
    - Change the options to 'Mobile / Tablet', 'Scalable 2D / 3D', 'No Starter Content'
    - Name your project something like 'MyGearVR'
    - When visual studio opens up again, compile and run the MyGearVR project

Configure and package your project for GearVR:
    - Go to the 'Windows/Plugins' menu item, and go to the Head Mounted Displays page - disable Oculus (optional) and enable GearVR, click 'Restart Now'
    - Select the 'Edit/Project Settings...' menu item
    - In the Android section, scroll to the top and click the 'Configure Now' button for Android support
    Set the Minimum SDK version to 19 or higher
    Select the 'Configure the AndroidManifest for deployment to GearVR' checkbox
    - In the Packaging section, optionally click the advanced down arrow in Project and disable 'Full Rebuild' in order to speed iteration times
    - Select the 'File/Package Project/Android/Android (ETC2)' menu item and package your project to a directory of your choosing

Install and Run:
    - Connect your device and have it able to accept adb sessions. Please see the normal UE4 Android documentation for details if you're not familiar with this process
    - Run the installation script from within the directory you packaged to
    - On device, find your application icon, click it, and then attach the GearVR headset to the phone

- Select the 'C++' tab (currently GearVR support requires a C++ project since plugins are not built into the default executables)
    I think this may have been where I was messing up this entire time, and Java folder for signature file.

Any ideas on when blueprint-based projects will get support? I am getting pretty ok with the blueprints but not very good with the C++ based projects yet. Thank you for the instructions btw.
    Last edited by haggler2; 01-31-2015 at 09:06 AM.

C++ Mmmmm... I am all blueprint but I saw this :

"How to Convert a BP/Content Project to a C++ Project in 8 Steps"

I have to try it as my GearVR project is done, so I'll report back here.
    Welcome to my universe,
    www.SynthesisUniverse.com
    Get the NEW Nov 10th 2014 demo !
    SU -Maze- on Oculus Share

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast