Level crashes after adding foliage

Hey,

I’m getting a crash every time I add new foliage to any level in a project. The map works fine while adding the foliage but won’t reload once the foliage is added. (Last time I added maybe 100 different foliage models).

I “placed” several of the models instead of using the foliage tool, if that matters?

It seems to occur on every level now. It occurs on a clean project using the same assets.

Fatal error: [File:D:\Build++UE4+Release-4.12+Compile\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Foliage\Private\FoliageInstanceBase.cpp] [Line: 90]
Instance base cache - integrity verification(3): Counter: 29 Size: 13, InvSize: 11 (L:1 S:0 T:0)

UE4Editor_Core!FDebug::AssertFailed() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.12+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\outputdevice.cpp:440]
UE4Editor_Foliage!operator<<() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.12+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\foliage\private\foliageinstancebase.cpp:93]
UE4Editor_Foliage!AInstancedFoliageActor::Serialize() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.12+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\foliage\private\instancedfoliage.cpp:2247]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!FLinkerLoad::Preload() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.12+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\linkerload.cpp:3293]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!EndLoad() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.12+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\uobjectglobals.cpp:1411]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!LoadPackageInternal() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.12+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\uobjectglobals.cpp:1171]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!LoadPackageInternal() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.12+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\uobjectglobals.cpp:1286]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!ResolveName() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.12+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\uobjectglobals.cpp:696]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!StaticLoadObjectInternal() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.12+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\uobjectglobals.cpp:783]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!StaticLoadObject() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.12+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\uobjectglobals.cpp:853]
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser!FAssetData::GetAsset() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.12+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\assetregistry\public\assetdata.h:218]
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser!SContentBrowser::OnAssetsActivated() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.12+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\contentbrowser\private\scontentbrowser.cpp:1793]
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser!TBaseSPMethodDelegateInstance<0,SContentBrowser,0,TTypeWrapper __cdecl(TArray const & __ptr64,enum EAssetTypeActivationMethod::Type)>::Execute() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.12+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\delegateinstancesimpl_variadics.inl:321]
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser!TBaseSPMethodDelegateInstance<0,SContentBrowser,0,void __cdecl(TArray const & __ptr64,enum EAssetTypeActivationMethod::Type)>::ExecuteIfSafe() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.12+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\delegateinstancesimpl_variadics.inl:428]
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser!TBaseDelegate const & __ptr64,enum EAssetTypeActivationMethod::Type>::ExecuteIfBound() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.12+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\delegatesignatureimpl_variadics.inl:608]
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser!SAssetView::OnListMouseButtonDoubleClick() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.12+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\contentbrowser\private\sassetview.cpp:3545]
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser!TBaseSPMethodDelegateInstance<0,SAssetView,0,TTypeWrapper __cdecl(TSharedPtr)>::Execute() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.12+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\delegateinstancesimpl_variadics.inl:321]
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser!TBaseSPMethodDelegateInstance<0,SAssetView,0,void __cdecl(TSharedPtr)>::ExecuteIfSafe() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.12+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\delegateinstancesimpl_variadics.inl:428]
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser!TBaseDelegate >::ExecuteIfBound() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.12+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\delegatesignatureimpl_variadics.inl:608]
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser!SListView >::Private_OnItemDoubleClicked() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.12+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\slate\public\widgets\views\slistview.h:698]
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser!STableRow >::OnMouseButtonDoubleClick() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.12+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\slate\public\widgets\views\stablerow.h:264]
UE4Editor_Slate!::operator()() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.12+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\application\slateapplication.cpp:4986]
UE4Editor_Slate!FEventRouter::Route >() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.12+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\application\slateapplication.cpp:215]
UE4Editor_Slate!FSlateApplication::RoutePointerDoubleClickEvent() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.12+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\application\slateapplication.cpp:4984]
UE4Editor_Slate!FSlateApplication::ProcessMouseButtonDoubleClickEvent() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.12+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\application\slateapplication.cpp:4969]
UE4Editor_Slate!FSlateApplication::OnMouseDoubleClick() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.12+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\application\slateapplication.cpp:4947]
UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsApplication::ProcessDeferredMessage() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.12+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsapplication.cpp:1514]
UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsApplication::DeferMessage() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.12+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsapplication.cpp:1850]
UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsApplication::ProcessMessage() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.12+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsapplication.cpp:745]
UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsApplication::AppWndProc() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.12+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsapplication.cpp:667]
user32
user32
UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsPlatformMisc::PumpMessages() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.12+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsplatformmisc.cpp:903]
UE4Editor!FEngineLoop::Tick() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.12+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launchengineloop.cpp:2729]
UE4Editor!GuardedMain() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.12+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launch.cpp:148]
UE4Editor!GuardedMainWrapper() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.12+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:126]
UE4Editor!WinMain() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.12+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:200]
UE4Editor!__scrt_common_main_seh() [f:\dd\vctools\crt\vcstartup\src\startup\exe_common.inl:264]
kernel32
ntdll

Hi,

I was looking for this crash, we had several reports about it before, but were never able to repro it. Could you upload a small project here where we can repro it? This will be very helpful.

I had the same problem yesterday and I think it is related where you spawn the meshes. For example try spawning trees on weird angles on a mountain. Sadly I deleted my project because I was angry :frowning:

It doesn’t crash reliably - can’t get it to crash with a new project on purpose (despite trying to replicate it myself.) So far it’s crashed in new projects only later when I go back to reload them, seemingly randomly after adding new foliage.

It’s only crashed when the foliage has been densed/slightly overlapping.

Will any of the crash files help you?

(I can send you my working project confidentially - but not sure if it’ll help. Only crashes after several hours adding foliage.)

Do you use streaming levels in your project which has this crash? And also do you remember if you use Redo operations during foliage editing?

• No streaming.

• No Redo operations. (Though I would have used undo, copy/paste etc).

It’s only occurred with foliage placed manually, not with the foliage tool. (So the foliage didn’t have culling if that’s relevant).

Image as an example:

I am having the same issue.

Steps I took to see this “error”.

1. Paint foliage with epic’s foliage paint tool
  2. Quit for a few hours
  3. Come back to this god forsaken error
  4. Load an autosave of my project
  5. Back into my project without foliage
  6. Paint foliage with epic’s foliage paint tool
  7. Manually place some tree’s, weeds & grass
  8. Quit for the night
  9. Come back to this god forsaken error
  10. Attempt to Load an autosave of my project, but can’t because all my autosaves now contain foliage paint data.

To replicate this issue, and without sounded like a jerk, download alllllllll foliage from your marketplace (because that’s what I’m painting with: marketplace foliage and only marketplace foliage. yes all of it.), paint the foliage, place some manually, close the project, if it opens fine, place more and more, you’ll get the crash eventually. Don’t give up the first 100 grass chunks you place. (but without “proof”, no one from Epic will believe anyone. It’ll be, “I can’t replicate it, this issue does not exist, case closed”.).

Crash log:

[2016.07.24-17.46.38:616][ 0]LogWindows: Windows GetLastError: The operation completed successfully. (0)
[2016.07.24-17.46.39:188][ 0]LogWindows:Error: === Critical error: ===
Fatal error: [File:D:\Build++UE4+Release-4.12+Compile\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Foliage\Private\FoliageInstanceBase.cpp] [Line: 90]
Instance base cache - integrity verification(3): Counter: 23 Size: 13, InvSize: 11 (L:1 S:0 T:0)

[2016.07.24-17.46.39:210][ 0]LogExit: Executing StaticShutdownAfterError
[2016.07.24-17.46.39:232][ 0]LogWindows: FPlatformMisc::RequestExit(1)
[2016.07.24-17.46.39:232][ 0]Log file closed, 07/24/16 13:46:39

Is it me, or if you search “Compile\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Foliage\Private\FoliageInstanceBase.cpp] [Line: 90]
Instance base cache - integrity verification(3): Counter: 23 Size: 13, InvSize: 11 (L:1 S:0 T:0)” in google, it yields A LOT of results that only seem to be from around July 2016, meaning it sounds like a serious issue within 4.12 itself and no one seems to have caught this.

This would make things a heck of a lot better for the Engine user, if we had the option to delete said placed foliage paint data. Does this file exist or is that data in my 407MB project file?

If deleting the foliage paint data is not an option, could it be for the future? I’d rather paint 8 hours of foliage than recreate a project a year in the making.

By the great power of grayskull I had an autosave from 3 weeks ago in my recycle bin with some foliage, previous to my 4.12.5 update. When I opened the project, many things were missing (I don’t care, my project is open), among these things were grass mesh materials from the open world demo collection/kite demo sample. Specifically “SM_GrassPatch_03_A”. When I removed these from the foliage paint tool paint list, I was able to paint foliage, save the game, close the engine and return to the project with no issues.

I will be removing all traces of the Kite demo now I think :slight_smile:

I hope it’s this easy for everyone else. Check your kite demo assets. AFAIK, it’s not marketplace content.

This is fixed for 4.13. I’m not yet sure if there will be hotfix for 4.12. As a workaround for 4.12 if you have source code you can apply these changes in FoliageInstanceBase.cpp
replace all entries of:

UE_LOG(LogInstancedFoliage, Fatal 
 to 
 UE_LOG(LogInstancedFoliage, Warning

This will allow to load foliage maps in 4.12 without crashing.

Although I don’t have a fix for the problem, I think I know of a way to avoid this.

I believe this happens when you have used the foliage tool on a mesh and then you delete the mesh, which in turn, deletes the foliage on that mesh. After going back to the last revision in my work, I tried the same thing and managed to replicate the error.

Although I don’t have a fix for the problem, I think I know a cause of it.

I believe this happens when you have used the foliage tool on a mesh and then you delete the mesh, which in turn, deletes the foliage on that mesh. After going back to the last revision in my work, I tried the same thing and managed to replicate the error.

Although I don’t have a fix for the problem, I think I know a cause of it.