Why is UE4 freezing while compiling shaders?

So, I was creating a material today, and I decided to wait for the shaders to compile. So I leave for a while to do something else, while the shaders were compiling, and when I come back, the editor is frozen on with the message saying that it was finishing compiling the shaders, so I ended the task with task manager, and re-launched the engine. The same thing happens. It freezes whenever it’s finishing compiling the shaders. This was not happing before, and I have already tried completely re-installing UE4, but nothing seems to work. Any suggestions?

Hi ,

Could you please post you system’s DxDiag? Also if you could go into your folder [PROJECT]/Saved/Logs and retrieve the log that was generated when it froze, that would help us better narrow down the potential cause.

My specs aren’t very good, but before this happened, I was using Unreal 4 with absolutely no problem, even with some setting on Epic. Here is my DxDiag:

And my log… [2]: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QZpUMl5KKA-MPfoXHgBUOBMZRz1iotZrPoJw-HLlzRI/edit?usp=sharing

It’s still happening, I can’t use my editor now…

Hi ,

We just released the 4.1.1 hotfix for previewing. You could opt in for that and see if it fixes the issue. It has several fixes in place that has to do with the compiling shaders.

If you decide to give it a try, please post back here and let us know if it worked or if your still having this problem.

Thanks, TJ

Hi ,

We recently released a preview of Update 4.1.1. This update contains a number of fixes for shader compiling issues. You may wish to consider trying out the update to see if it helps to resolve your issue. More information is available in the link:

4.1.1 hotfix update now available - Announcements - Epic Developer Community Forums

Please let us know if this helps or not.

It made everything much faster, but my editor still freezes when it says it’s finishing the shader compilation. Also I don’t think I mentioned this, but whenever I create a new material and add a constant to the base color, my color picker is gone. I can’t add a color to a material now. I really don’t get it, because everything was working fine before with absolutely no errors, and now all of a sudden this happens. Anyway I copied my updated log of what it shows when I create a level, and then creating a material IN that level: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QZpUMl5KKA-MPfoXHgBUOBMZRz1iotZrPoJw-HLlzRI/edit?usp=sharing
my link leads to Google Docs, sorry I wasn’t able to post it. But it shows all of the warnings and errors I get.

You say that everything was fine “before”, but can you please clarify “before what?”

For instance, did this issue only begin for you when version 4.1.0 was released? You can test this by switching your editor version back to 4.0.2. If you can confirm that the issue only occurs with 4.1.0, then it sounds like there may be an issue that we need to investigate.

However if the problem is occurring regardless of the version, but used to be okay for you in the past, then you may be starting to experience a hardware failure.

Please let us know.

This happens on both versions. I have upgraded to 4.1.1 now, so I can’t switch back to 4.0.2, but I had already tried that before I upgraded. What I meant by “before” is that this just kind of happened out of a sudden. I think it was actually after I verified the install one day, but I don’t believe it is a hardware problem, because if you check my log: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QZpUMl5KKA-MPfoXHgBUOBMZRz1iotZrPoJw-HLlzRI/edit?usp=sharing it says that there are some files that are missing. I’m not sure why this is, because I have verified the install, uninstalled it, repaired it, but nothing seems to work. The only time, I actually got it to functioning properly not so long ago, when I created another user account on my computer, but then, the next time I launched it, the same error occurred. I actually only had one error, all the rest were warnings, about it not being able to find the missing files or something. Please do check my log though in the link I have, it shows what happens when I create a level, and then when I create a material in that level. Thanks!

It didn’t work. It made everything faster, but it still freezes

I diagnosed my PC, and it says there are no hardware issues…so I’m not sure what the problem is, any solution or suggestion yet?

Hi ,

We haven’t heard from you in a few days. Are you still having this issue?

Yes I am. The 4.1.1 update has increased the performance, but my editor still freezes at the same point I described, and my color picker is still gone for a constant in the material editor. I got Unreal 4 on my mac computer, to see if the same problem persisted, and it did. I also don’t have a color picker on my mac either, and it freezes at the same point too. So I know it has something to do with my account.

I have already ran the DxDiag, I posted t above a while ago if you would like to see it. My mac’s has an Intel i5 processor with the latest Nvidia Geforce GT. I’m pretty sure that the system specs isn’t the problem, because before this problem happened, everything was running great.

So I know it has something to do with my account.

This is not the cause. Your account information has nothing to do with how the editor will behave, but it is very interesting that you are the only person who has reported this problem, and it is occurring on two separate machines for you.

In your PC, I can see from the Dxdiag that you have an Intel HD Graphics card, but can you please find out and let us know exactly which one that is? The integrated cards in general are not a good option, but for instance we know that the HD 3000’s typically cause crashes.

Also, what is your operating system version and system specs for your Mac?

Do both machines support DX11 and have the latest drivers?

Thanks

Hmm, in the output log in my editor, it says that I have missing files, and that it can’t run or something. I posted it above if you would like to see it, but anyways, my PC is an Intel HD 4000 and both my Mac and my PC have their drivers all the way up to date. They both support DX11 yes, and my Mac has an Nvidia GeForce GT 750 with the latest Intel i5 processor. The log on my Mac has the same messages as my PC. It is a very odd issue, considering I tried re-installing and deleting all the content I had for Unreal 4.

Hi ,

Is this still an issue for you with UE 4.2.1?

I seem to have the same issue as well…

This issue was caused because of the lack of power my computer had. Now that I got a new PC, the engine runs great.