Material Billboards are rotated by 90 degrees

Hello

I have a weird problem with material billboard component. material on billboard appears to be rotated 90 degrees:

Why is that? How to solve that?

Hey Oti,

That seems to be a bug. I was able to duplicate issue on our end here, and have entered a report into our database. Thanks for report!

While we work to fix that, you might need to rotate Material itself. I know that’s not best solution, but it should solve problem you’re having for now.

Thanks again, and please don’t hesitate to let us know if you run into other issues in future!

Okay, thanks for your answer. :slight_smile:

In case somebody had same issue-that’s one simple way to rotate material 90degrees.

5480-ue490degrot.jpg

Just use output as uv’s.

This still happens in 4.4. Also this behavior happens for me on TextRenderComponents when I set font material to have a AlignMeshToTheCamera material node input to WorldPositionOffset.

I’m attempting to fix it by inputting custom object basis vectors to this node, however I’m having a hard time getting it to orient properly.

OK, figured out temporary fix on text material, for anyone else hitting same problem.
AlignMeshToTheCamera material node:
Basis 1 input = 0,0,-1
Basis 2 input = -1,0,0
Basis 3 input = 0,1,0

Is there an update on this bug? It hasn’t been fixed yet and this was reported in May.

Thanks

Kyle

Hi ,

I’ve looked up report (TTP: 334330) and this is still in our backlog list to get to. Once it has been fixed will be notified to verify and if issue is resolved he’ll update here with a post that it’s been fixed. Unfortunately, there is no timeline for when this will be addressed though.

Thank you for your patience,

It seem this bug is still present in 4.6.1

Hi skeleton60,

This issue is still in our backlog (converted to UE-4292). I will update this thread if I see any kind of update on it, but there is still no timeline for this bug.

Hi,

actually it’s not only rotated by 90 degrees but also mirrored.
Also shouldn’t you remove that “resolved” if this is to ever be really resolved?

Ilija

Hi ilijav,

Thanks for that additional information. I’ll add that to report.

When we mark a post “resolved” on AnswerHub, it means that we were able to get information we needed to reproduce issue and report it for developers. It does not mean that issue has been fixed in engine, only that we are aware of issue. We try to update posts when we see that an issue has been fixed internally, but it remains “resolved” to indicate that no further action is needed from community and bug reporter.

I have created a fix for this (pull request: https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/pull/744). If you have source, you can just swap UV coordinates in MaterialBillboardComponent.cpp in DrawDynamicElements function.

I believe this bug still exists in 4.6 despite my fix being apparently pulled. Worse, changing UVs (as I did) seems to have no effect. To repo, create a material that just has base colour as TextureCoordinates (in preview you will see, as expected, red value increasing along x-axis). If you use this material on a material bilboard red increases down y-axis (is UV coordinates are wrong way round (i.e. x is in v-channel).

Hi ,

Your pull request was implemented, and fix has been included in 4.8 release. It won’t show up in 4.6.

So 4.6 is broken? I tried reapplying my fix though, and it doesn’t seem to be having any effect - I suppose something else must have changed between me fixing it and 4.6?

It’s certainly possible that your fix isn’t valid in 4.6, as there were some pretty big code changes between 4.5 and 4.6. When we take a pull request, we sometimes need to make changes to implement it properly, and I suspect that happened here as fix was only implemented recently.

Right, so until 4.8 is out, my best bet is to swap UVs on any material that is going to be on a billboard or is there a commit I can merge from 4.8?

We’re not 100% sure, but we believe GitHub commit you need is this one:

https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/commit/90d45fc7ece118b2b268dfa0090f043f16d620d0

Give that a try and let us know if it solves issue for you.

Hi,
this bug is still in 4.7.5. Could we have an update on fix?
More all transform f Material Billboard component are not working. Could you please add this to thus bug report?

Thanks,

Hi Elvince,

thk’s Pull Request (listed below in a separate answer) was integrated into our internal build and should be included in 4.8 release. We have a preview build coming soon, if you’d like to check it in there. Please let us know if this is still an issue for you after 4.8 release. Thanks!