Your Two-Factor Sign In Code emails

I get these a few times a day. I’m guessing someone has my login info somehow and keeps trying to get into my account. The thing is, changing my password doesn’t help. I start getting these emails again soon after I change my password, every time. Should I not worry about this? I’m guessing that as long as they can’t receive a code, they can’t get into my account.

2 Likes

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing this, it is happening because hackers are attempting to access your account. Here’s some info posted by Epic detailing the hacking attempts (and successes unfortunately) being carried out by a group of hackers, and what Epic is doing to combat it. There were large dumps of email account username (or email addresses) and passwords posted to some hacking forums a while back and the hackers use “credential stuffing” (automated injection of breached username/password pairs in order to fraudulently gain access to user accounts) to gain access to accounts on other websites that use the same or similar password.

The hackers are targeting Epic account holders with payment options to fraudulently purchase Fortnite V-Bucks, which they are then reselling on some shady websites.

First thing to do is change your email password (if you haven’t already done so). If you use the same password as your email account on any other websites change those passwords AND your email password immediately to prevent more accounts being hacked. That includes your password on this website. See the security bulletin I linked above for more details.

If they are able to get to the 2FA authorization page here it probably means they know your password since the 2FA screen is only shown after entering your user/pass. Changing your password (make it completely different, they use automated programs to guess passwords similar to your current one) should eliminate these emails.

You can also check whether your email account(s) have been exposed to hackers. The haveibeenpwned.com website will allow you to see whether your email address has been included in any of the data breach dumps. If it has you do not need to stop using the account (unless it concerns you) but you should increase your security on that email account by using a stronger/longer password (preferably with a mix of upper/lower case letters, numbers, and symbols), enabling 2FA, and changing your passwords regularly. I recommend using a password manager such as LastPass, Dashlane, 1Password (those 3 need to be purchased), or if you’re on a budget try KeePass. I use KeePass myself and it works just as well as the paid products to store your passwords, and they even include a random password generator to create strong passwords.

Lastly please make sure you do not have any payment options saved to your account, especially if you are getting the “unsuccessful login attempt” emails. You can add them back in when you need to buy something, but make sure you remove it again afterwards. Leaving this info stored in your account is a potential security risk that just isn’t worth it.

Hope that helps to stop those emails.

Thanks epic

3 Likes

hi, my two step factor is not sending my code to my email any reason why please

Give me a code fortniteeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

2 Likes

Please use the Fortnite Help Center Center: Epic Games Technical Support & Customer Service | Epic Games

Hello yes i would like to enable the 2 factor sharing thing

ive been wondering if i can get 2fa

I would like to enable 2FA please

2 Likes

See below to enable.

To opt in to Two-Factor Authentication:

1. Under the “Account” page where your settings are, click on the PASSWORD & SECURITY tab to view your security settings.
  2. At the bottom of the page, under the TWO-FACTOR AUTHENTICATION heading, click to ENABLE AUTHENTICATOR APP or ENABLE EMAIL AUTHENTICATION as your two-factor method.

I enabled it but it didn’t work

Wats my sign in code

I would like to get 2fa

1 Like

For help with two factor authentication, please visit Epic Games | Support Center.