Xcode, visual studio, VS code - all what you need about IDE is here, I believe

It triggers a hot reload ?
I don’t understand.
Hot reload is when the build system is running already and it just refreshes while running.

What even works for you, it’s people choise really.
My opinion is that you can get faster compilation times because the ide you use has to talk to the game engine, and if the compiler is set thru an ide it takes a longer time as opposed to if you only have build tools installed with compiler without visual studio IDE.

Maybe that is why it is hot reload for you, because you have a scheme thru the VIsual Studio IDE while I don’t, my game engine is not wirred with visual studio.

Your setup is different than mine, I only have Microsoft C++ build tools and compiler without any visual studio, so the C++ dependencies are directly hocked up to the game engine. No hot reload for me, only when I finish creating a new class, because it needs to reload and finish up the code in the new pages

This is an old thread of mine.
Building with unreal build tools my project, I get an Error - C++ Programming / Engine Source & GitHub - Unreal Engine Forums

I replied only to this thread based on" my past problems " to get rid of the problems I had because I did not like heavy IDEs like Visual Studio or any other IDE like that for that matter that slows your compiling time down.

The video in my post is also enlighting from that guy that explains everything very nice.
It’s actually on topic, I don’t like derailing things

1 Like