XCode now failing with Codesign error

I can no longer build the editor at ‘times’. I imagine this is a mac error and not unreal but it stops development on Unreal. There was one question similar to this but it was never answered and was from someone who wanted to have his paid Apple developer cert work. I don’t really, I actually want no certificate involved. We are developing our game and using the Mac just as our development platform, testing on Windows because that is the de facto target audience (Linux too and we’d hoped on Mac).

After updating to XCode 11.2.1, suddenly I started failing to build the editor with:

/Users/Shared/Epic Games/UE_4.21/Engine/Binaries/Mac/UE4Editor.app: code object is not signed at all
In subcomponent: /Users/Shared/Epic Games/UE_4.21/Engine/Binaries/Mac/UE4Editor.app/Contents/MacOS/HTML5/UE4Editor.modules
Command /usr/bin/codesign failed with exit code 1

I use a stock .xcodeproj file built with “Generate XCode Project” off the .uproject file. I never change settings.

I created a certificate and the problem went away about a month ago. Now with no changes, it has popped up again. Is there any way to turn off this code signing checking it does, so I can just compile and test. I would give up and put in Linux or use the PC to develop, but the problem is that the modeler has his entire tool set on Apple and the cost is higher (in dollars and lost time) to move to a less intrusive platform. I can’t yet escape needing to compile for the Apple or he won’t be able to work on the game.

1 Like

Once again, I’ve gotten around this and it was by taking a 4.21 version of the project and upgrading it to 4.23 then back filling my C++ code into the project. When the process was done, it now will build the editor from XCode. Reading more on this problem (beyond just with UE4), no one seems to actually know what causes it, though Apple says it’s a file attribute issue. People report that there is always surrounding things they have to do before it works and all sound cataclysmic. In the case of UE4, it seems to be trashing your existing project in some manner, pulling your source code into the new version and then you are good for a time. I did first try just deleting Binaries and Intermediate and rebuilding. This did not fix it.

BTW, I listed 4.24 in the original post and that was not where the project was, it was in 4.21 and 4.23 “corrected” it, though more likely, the major change made the Apple issue OBE.

I added --deep to Other Code Signing Flags in Xcode build settings and this helped me to fix the same type of error.

1 Like