Xcode indexing

We’re lucky because C++ interoperability is an actively evolving feature of Swift! Swift code interoperates with C and Objective-C APIs by default. But C++ interoperability is a new feature in the upcoming Swift 5.9 release! With this synergy, they could potentially fix some of the issues such as the “big projects indexing” issue too! So, this is great news for Xcode and for us too! :partying_face:

1 Like

Yes, and to be fair Objc/Swift interpolation is flawless, so I am guessing C++ will be the same story. :tada:

1 Like

On an Intel 2019 MacPro 64GB, Ventura 13.4.1, XCode 14.1, UE 5.3.0. I saw this thread and turned indexing back on (defaults write com.apple.dt.XCode IDEIndexDisable 0) and restarted XCode. It seemed to work or at least the messages suggested it was getting farther than it has since I lost the autocomplete back around UE 4.19. It ran suspiciously fast and said it was done. I still have no autocomplete for engine or my classes. I wonder if it’s that I’m still on the Intel or if my version of XCode should be updated. I didn’t bother because I’m doing Mac development, not IOS and the latest update appeared to only address IOS issues. Have satellite and can’t afford to download XCode fixes unless they seem pertinent.

Maybe try to create a new project and see how it goes. I found it more flaky on Intel to be honest, but I was able to autocomplete. I am also doing macOS, but I did created a new project for testing. Next will be upgrade an existing one and see how it goes.

IMHO It works better on Silicon. Tried

I think Epic is more likely to focus on the Silicon, since there is no future for the Intels with Apple. I bought my system 1 month too soon. I have thought about recreating it from scratch but it’s so big now, it’s less painful to live without the autocomplete. Sure would be nice though. I may do as you say and create a new C++ project just to see if it is somehow associated with our project.

Yeah if your game is already advanced, you might as well stay on what is working fine on Intel VSCode/Rider. I know it is not optimal but I hear you, getting a new computer one month before the new models comes out… I think Intel is not going away too soon, but I guess like you say, Epic is gonna put more effort on Silicon, one of those things is that you can select Metal 3 for Silicon projects, thing is not showing on Intel projects.

I used to work on a 2019 MPB, with AMD 5300, M1 Pro is somehow in between 5300 and 5600, less heat but, I still think Intel Mac can do a great job. I wonder how are big studios dealing with this, such as The Medium, Layers of Fear, Myst or Stray that is coming soon. Probably modified source code, but I guess time will tell, YES Apple Silicon is the future, but Intel still have some good things to offer, specially on Desktop setups like the MacPro. If you work without autocomplete you are hell of a coder! It is like doing it all in notepad ++.

“like doing it in notepad”, so true. There were no such things as IDEs when I started coding so I don’t suffer as much.

Yes, a Studio is in the future. Especially since it’s about half the price I paid for the Pro for higher performance.

Yeah, I was about to get a studio, but somehow my order got messed and I did not get an M2, I decided to return the M1Max and now I think I will wait for the M3 that I am almost sure that will come with RayTracing like the a17 bionic announced today.

So maybe so you can squeeze all the performance of that good old MBP and wait for the next chip.

:spiral_notepad: :joy:

Thanks for that, you may have saved me another 6 or 7K. Seriously, I was thinking M2 Ultra. I can sure wait.

Have any of you observed on 5.3.0 that using the Tools->Open XCode menu in the editor returns “Unable to open solution”. I have to open XCode from the workspace file since upgrading the engine. I’ve not tried adding a new C++ class since 4.26 but am going to test that today.

Yes you are right…
Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 1.15.25 PM

Yep, will have to figure it out if more of us are getting it. It’s not particularly important since I have to kill and rebuild a running editor or variable and function differences are never seen.

I can say that to my surprise, Indexing/AutoComplete is now working on 5.3.0 on the Intel MacPro. Nice to have an IDE again after probably 5 years without it.

I will file a bug report on the inability to open xcode from the editor.

Yeah I was very surprised when I did not get the nested declaration error, and everything was green and looked with no error, then I started typing Ge… and Boom Autocomplete. UE_ Boom, autocomplete. From that moment I started doing whatever to make it work, 4.18 indeed worked just fine. 4.26. something worked a bit as well then 4.27 broken.

I guess a lot of us been waiting for this moment, I know there is other options however when you are used to Xcode… it makes sense.

Let me know when you file the bug, so maybe I can do it as well.

Reported; Case #00624545 (not sure what good that number does as I’ve never been able to look up these returned Case numbers)

If your Project name is XYZ it will automatically create 2 .xcworkspace file with this naming convention:

• XYZ (iOS).xcworkspace
  • XYZ (Mac).xcworkspace

If you’ll rename the “XYZ (Mac).xcworkspace” with “XYZ.xcworkspace” you will be able to open the project again.

It has to be fixed on the UE side I guess.

2 Likes

Good catch, wish I’d known that when I filed the report, it makes it pretty obvious where to look for the devs. Wonder what other side effects that might cause. Possibly the build.cs file not being updated when you add a plugin is caused by this too. I did test the Add C++ Class and that worked with the new workspace naming convention.

Glad to hear that!