WTF is wrong with crytek?

[QUOTE= Shepard;620876]

[QUOTE=Errvald;620873]
I just think that a scripting language would make working with UE faster

Maybe that was the case a decade ago but since we are talking about indies here I don’t think they will try and squeeze as much performance, their games will run just fine.

And no Blueprints are not a scripting language but a visual one, not the same thing. It doesn’t matter what the underlying code is written in. I’m not going to write the Pros of a scripting language because they should be obvious to you.

I would disagree. Why can’t somebody simply take the time to learn how to use the engine? The documentation has improved immensely and the community there is helpful. Paid support will no doubt make learning how to use the engine easier and faster, but you don’t NEED it. There are plenty of video tutorials as well. The engine has it’s issues, and most of them are small bugs that are soon to be fixed with there next update to the engine. However the core features of the engine work great, and they are still working hard to improve the workflow for indie developers. I personally like there marketing system. NO ROYALTIES, and paid support and consultation which is optional. It is all very reasonable in my opinion. I like the idea of paid support anyway. That way you know you are likely to get good service and support, which depending on the gameplay system’s you are developing can be a very valuable resource.

I’ll have to disagree . I’ve seen their documentation and it’s very cryptic and convoluted. Their docs webpages are not clearly separate for older and newer versions. Compared to ue’s community their community is barely alive. Their focus still seem to be high end users.

About the royalty. That’s notreally an argument since 90% of indie games die before they become anything to be released.
So really that’s not a point I’d worry about until I am making millions on multiple titles one after another and run into loss from royalty.

Talking realistically. In its present state you’ll have pretty hard and long time to make something with CE , and it’s very likely to die mid development because of lack tools, docs and community from where you can get teammates and technical support for problems.

So using CE for something you want to earn money from is a tremendous risk and crytek know of it very very well. This is why they ask for no royalties, just to add a positive selling point nothing more. They also know indies who want to make a game that would not die and actually make it to release in a reasonable time would need to buy their support packages so they get money anyway.

The no royalties argument is very weak or almost invalid when you realise CE cannot charge royalty if they are to survive.

Would you take cryengine in its current state if there was a royalty of 5% on it or would you choose ue4?

see its a marketing ploy

Personally I wouldn’t touch CryEngine because the company is struggling and unlikely to be around in the future.

Catch-22 obviously…but you’ve gotta be pragmatic.

Anyone that’s stating “CE has free documentation!” has obviously never used that free documentation.

~ Jason

well every game developing companies are not that generous to provide their secrets for free . Business , DLC extension packs and early release are their main motto . Nothing else I suppose.

my personal opinion stick to epic help the company as far as possible . Pay the royalty as per their norms… And yes to be true the staff members are really good to everybody around . They even respond to the private messages . Plus UE4 market place is really . Helping newbies to big companies . Responding to feature requests . What else can anybody want ?