Wrong function category in the "Functions" list?

This is very annoying.

My functions sometimes will get separated from other functions in the same category. This is not very consistent but it has happened more than once. It doesn’t matter what I do (tried creating a new function from scratch, placing all of them in a different category, everything).

I’ve read something somewhere about when there’s a parameter called “Category” in a function, the function itself is placed in a different category. But why?

Does anyone have a workaround for this?

I get that all the time - I’ve been meaning to look into it - but I’ve been thinking it has something to do with the fact I use a lower case letter as the first character - it keeps adding another category with it as a capital - but seeing your snapshot I think it may be multiple problems…

What happens if you don’t call your input variable “Category”? What if it’s not the first in the list? Also, maybe no space in the MinAmount?

1 Like

I changed the Category parameter to “Item Category” and the issue is fixed (the function is properly categorized among the other ones).

My guess is, somewhere in the engine’s code there’s a check for a Category enum in order to categorize the function, but for some reason it picks up parameters with that name, which definitely shouldn’t happen. Maybe the function options and parameters are stored/checked in the same place? I wouldn’t know, but it’s definitely very weird.

All of this makes sense if you look at it, because the default value for the Category parameter is the first option in the “Item Category” enum > which translates to “New Enumerator 0” > which Unreal picks up as the name for the function category group.

To summarize, it appears that a parameter with the name “Category” replaces the function’s “Category” option. Changing that parameter’s name to something else fixes the issue.

2 Likes

That’s good to know!

2 Likes