I use UE from source and I have got incorrect encoding in output log.
My OS is Windows 8.1 with Russian language.
4> [47/1734] Link UE4Editor-InputCore.dll
4> ��������� ���������� D:\UE_projects\ue_source\UnrealEngine\Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-InputCore.lib � ������ D:\UE_projects\ue_source\UnrealEngine\Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-InputCore.exp
How can I fix it?
Is this your first time compiling source? If not, did this happen with previously compiled source builds as well? A possible fix is to change the font that Visual Studio uses, as I’m unsure if the default font supports Cyrillic characters.
It was first time compiling source, but it repeats again. I checked the fonts and all of they support Cyrillic characters.
Thank you for that information. I’ve placed a bug report in for the issue under the number UE-29914. I’ll be sure to let you know if there are any updates made to the report or if we need any more information from you about the problem.
Have a nice day!
I’m sorry to report that we investigated the same issue before in this bug:
UE-14726 - Visual studio output log is garbled when running in non-ASCII language
and found that it is a bug with the way the debug window in Visual Studio handles non-ASCII text. Here’s a comment from our engineer:
Unfortunately, this seems to be a
known limitation, beyond our control:
OutputDebugStringA function (debugapi.h) - Win32 apps | Microsoft Learn
“OutputDebugStringW converts the
specified string based on the current
system locale information and passes
it to OutputDebugStringA to be
displayed. As a result, some Unicode
characters may not be displayed
Thanks for reporting the issue, and sorry I couldn’t have better news for you.
Thanks. This solution working fine.
Changing system locale for non-Unicode programs breaks the output of many programs. Instead, you can change compiler locale to English:
- Add the English language pack in Visual Studio Installer.
- Go to %VSInstallDir%\VC\Tools\MSVC\(version)\bin\Hostx64\x64 and remove your Locale folder (1049 for Russian), but leave 1033 (it must exist).
- (Perhaps you need to change the language in VS to English and vice versa.)
Now Win10 allow us to set utf-8. I finally can see the output clearly
Confirm, this option is an solution!