Would Phat Editor be considered an essential tool? And how to improve it

Hi.

As far as i am aware majority of games are using characters and creatures in the game. Especially games made with UE4.
If this statement is fact, would be it also be fact that the phat editor is then considered an essential tool?

If it is an essential tool which i would assume it is because it is the backbone of good character physics, how high a priority is it for Epic?
The reason i am asking this or trying to understand how far it is weighted on the importance level is because Phat has been lacking basic functionality or shall we rather say… working correctly for some time now.

One of my first bug reports ever were related to Phat. That was last mid last year sometime.

Personally i feel Phat qualifies as an essential tool. Essential meaning you cannot go without it. It is a requirement.
This being said i wonder why it is so far back on the priority list.

I understand new features are being implemented frequently. But like others have mentioned perhaps the resources dedicated to fixing current features are a bit limited which negatively impacts fixing current features.

For example. and the following is only applicable to the Phat Editor.

In side view and front view, transform gizmos do not work. It moves your capsules in directions not selected
No light / unlit viewmode making shaded mesh render terrible because the light in the scene will render one side completely black
Capsules do not always detect the correct alignment of the bone. This is not only true for rotation, but in some situations it even holds true for position. It clearly indicates the pivot in the correct place, but your collision body is 9000 miles away from it. And yes… the bones are zeroed and holds no strange transforms

I guess what i am trying to say is, that it would be really appreciated if we can have some Phat bug fixes. And a better more mature working state of it.

Hi Crocopede,

This has been fixed with 4.8.

While there is no option to do this from a clickable menu or drop down like other viewports this is still available via the keyboard shortcuts. For instance, using the Alt + 3 will go to Unlit mode.

I’ve submitted a feature request for this to be on by default in this viewport as well. UE-15059

Capsules do not always detect the correct alignment of the bone. This is not only true for rotation, but in some situations it even holds true for position. It clearly indicates the pivot in the correct place, but your collision body is 9000 miles away from it. And yes… the bones are zeroed and holds no strange transforms

You mention a AH post already. Can you link to this for me and I can check the status and see what’s going on.

Thanks for the feedback! :slight_smile:

Tim

Hi Tim
That’s pretty good news. Will confirm a bit later but i believe i tried the Alt shortcuts but they didn’t work for me. But i might have been pressing ctrl. Not sure.
Regarding the AH post, it was not related to this specific issue.

I will write up a bug report and supply an example project containing to skeletan in question so you guys can have a look and post the link here just for completeness of message trail.

I will write up a more professional post a bit later about elements that would make Phat more mature / better. The first post was more of a rant… i have panic attacks occasionally for no apparent reason.

Thx for the feedback.
Keep up the good work.

Will update to 4.8 tonight.

Cheers.

Thank you for taking the time to write up the report. It’s always appreciated! :slight_smile:

Hi.

Just wanted to give feedback regarding one thing.
The Alt-1 , 2 , 3 etc shortcuts do not work in the Phat Editor.

Still busy writing up the bug report for the misalignment of the bones.
Cheers

Hey Crocopede,

I’ve made a video real quick just to show what I’m seeing with 4.8 P1 from the launcher.

In this I change to the top view and am able to move the assets in the direction they move (broken in 4.7 and prior builds) and I run through Alt + 2-7 to change the view modes.

I’m not able to see anything on my end that’s not working as intended at this point.

Did you get the build off the launcher for 4.8 P1?

Hi.

I downloaded 4.8 P1 but haven’t tested yet. Glad to see its working though in 4.8 P1
Will give it a bash later tonight. Just crunching in some new logic on my game.

No problem. Let me know how it goes. :slight_smile:

Hi Tim.

Just wanted to let you know i tested 4.8

Orthographic views are working 100% now
Alt-1,2,3 etc shortcuts now work also

Also i think i better understand now what is occurring with the capsules that bugged me so much. The capsules don’t try to conform to the bone size, but instead tries to cover the weighted verts. This is good though. What confused me was that i assumed the pivot points that is displayed in constraints viewmode would apply to the Physics body, but when i scaled the body it would be very far away from the bone pivot.

I then assumed there is some issue because my bone is 9000 miles (as previously stated :stuck_out_tongue: ) away from the bone but in fact the body does not center on the bone pivot but instead it tries to cover the weighted verts as mentioned.
Therefor i hang my head in shame and admit that Phat is not as neglected as i might have thought it was when i was having my panic attack.

I still need to submit a request on answerhub to ask Epic if perhaps they can pick up, why in some instances alignment is occasionally off. If it would be related to the way the mesh is weighted or perhaps if there is a transform on those specific bones.

All in all thanks for the bug fixes and good work.

Cheers

I think you needn’t hang your head in shame.

I’d love to see the PhAT tool have additional functionality.

For example, clipboard copy and paste between physics assets would be great.

Also, being able to paste exported PHaT .COPY files would be a killer feature, allowing us to code our rigs?