Would I be able to play ARK: Survival Evolved?

I am wondering if I can get ARK and play it. It says for mac that the minimum for the processor is 2 GHz Equivalent CPU and my processor is 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5, so am I’m able to download ARK or do I have to wait till it comes on console?

If you turn down the settings a lot you could probably play it, but even on higher end rigs it doesn’t run that well. You’d likely have to run in the -sm4 (command line switch) mode.

Whats -sm4 mode? and would it be good at all to play? Is there a video that someone has made on youtube to show that you can play ARK on the MacBook Air with the processor that I have?

These are the things iv’e got,

MacBook Air (11-inch, Early 2014)
Processor: 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB

If anyone could help me out, that would be much appreciated

-sm4 means “shader model 4” which basically disables a bunch of the eye candy effects. There are some visual bugs with the mode, though that’s just because it’s (reasonably) new to the game (they are working on fixing the graphics bugs in that mode). For the most part, it’s not bad all to play, I used it myself for quite a while.

I have no idea about playing it on a Macbook Air tho, the Intel HD 5000 is probably not up to it.

So, wait till it comes out for console?

Yeah that’s probably a better bet given your hardware.

Ok thanks :slight_smile: