Would creating a second Tick be bad practice?

If I wanted multiple things to fire off of a tick, and using branches everywhere starts getting messy would it be considered bad practice to create a custom event that fires off the first Tick event?

Would this cause performance issues down the line?

16566-tick2.png

There shouldn’t be any difference between doing a sequence or a custom event performance wise (you are still only ticking once).

I ran a test by {spawning 5 meshes per tick at a maximum of 500, adding them to an array and moving each one of them with a for loop} using a sequence to run that 3 times per tick. Then I tested it with custom events. Performance was identical.

This is one of the best ways to keep your blueprints organized. The other is moving repeated processes into a function call or macro.

I would recommend not thinking of it as a second tick but as a named process that just happens to occur every tick. They are still called and executed in sequence not in parallel.

Check out this post on the Unreal Engine blog for a good overview of the topic.

Wow, thank you very much that was very above and beyond.

Another way to handle a tick event with a lots of work is to add a sequence node to the tick, this way you can organize your logic into blocks and you can even enable/disable parts of your logic. I’ve attached an example on how I normally setup my tick, with an example on how to enable/disable certain parts.

Thank you, I didn’t know about the sequence node. This will be infinitely useful.

One last little hint.

If you rightclick a set of nodes (mark them and then rightclick) you can select “collapse nodes”.

This will put them in a kind of function leaving only one node in your event graph or wherever you had them and thus cleaning up some messy stuff.

Really nice for complete parts like for example in the player controller the camera movement to capsule it away.

problem with sequence is that it won’t execute the next line unless the first has fully executed if I understand