World Partition performance issue

Hi everyone,

Me and my team facing issues with the world partition system:
We struggle to find a way to reduce the performance hit when a grid cell is loaded/unloaded (Gabage coll). I thought there was a way to prevent the game from freezing while a cell is being loaded. Is anyone of you is facing the same issue?
Today the system is not usable as we are dealing with 2/3 sec of freezing while loading cells with 200/300 actors.
Any hints would be appreciate ^^.

Regards

I haven’t personally used World Partition System as I am still using level streaming. But have you tried using smaller cell sizes?

What I noticed in my own work is that you need to reduce the number of actors being loaded in at one time in order to reduce stutter and freezing.

I had a large area being loaded in on one level and experienced long delays of up to 5-10 seconds. When I split the area into 250 smaller sub levels, I experienced practically no stutter or freezing.

We have several cell sizes depending on the range of display, but they are already only 25m².

With cells that small I would maybe look at your streaming distances for each cell.

The idea is try and not call too many cells to load at once.

Today we are using 3 grids depending on the loading range expected (You do not need to load indoors assets 100m away)

Is there any way to tell the level streaming system to not freeze the frame and continue the loading on the next frame?

Going off that screenshot, I would maybe try adjusting the loading priority.
Try making each index have it’s own value for priority. Give indoors the lowest priority.
Also possibly try blocking the indoors on slow streaming.

Can you confirm me that the “Block on Slow Streaming” will make the loading stop if the loading take too much time?
Is the loading will be resume later in this case?

I’m doing other stuff that prevents me from opening unreal atm. So I can’t test this right now.

However the documentation reads as follows.

Block on Slow Streaming Blocks loading in situations where grid cells are not loading fast enough.

So I would assume that it does in fact block it. For you to call the load manually later.

But it is worth checking out. Worst case scenario you just turn it back off.

Thank you @Slimwaffle ^^/
I will add any Infos I can confirm on this aspect of World Partition here later

Also, you can try to decrease instanced Foliage Grid in the project settings.

Hello. I also experienced a lot of performance issues when working with level streaming, so I made a tool that helps you customize the budget for your project. Take a look if interested