World Partition: map size and tiled maps

Hi.
Does anybody know yet what the potential world size is? With world composition I could go pretty large, and also enable origin shifting, and you could pretty much go as big as you want.
How does it work here? What’s the equivalent of origin shifting here?

Also, what if I have a large, tiled, World Machine built world. How do I natively import it? Do I just enable composition, then convert it to World Partition?

2 Likes

Layers are probably what we are supposed to use: World Partition - Data Layers | Unreal Engine Documentation
This solves the origin shifting problem but I couldn’t find any way to spawn actors into layers at runtime.
Tiling landscapes doesn’t seem to be the way to go anymore since they are not parented to the persistent level and thus cannot be sculpted seamlessly.
This is fairly new but I feel completely in the dark with this core aspect of my project.

1 Like

+1 on this.

As a new UE user this aspect of UE5 is completely and utterly confusing to me.
I’m a 3D generalist/FX artist historically focused on 3D for film, and I’m just now getting into learning realtime as UE5 is the first time I truly feel like the workflow wouldn’t be too restricting. Little did I know just simply importing a simple terrain would be a huge issue, moreso as that tends to lay the very foundations of a project. Hard to do any other stuff when you can’t get past step 1, so this feels like a bit of an oversight (even though I know this is early access/beta).

I’ve tried both importing the entire terrain mesh as either an fbx file (around 4 mil points), or as a greyscale png heightmap. The single heightmap in a landscape is too lowres for a 1x1 km area, and the mesh with nanite enabled doesn’t generate proper collisions (only supports convex hulls as far as I can tell, and convex decomposition doesn’t capture nearly enough details).

I’ve spent well over a full day on trying to get tiling to work but as far as I can tell there’s really no easy way to just import say a 4x4 grid of terrain tiles outside of world composition? Seems kinda crazy to me since world composition is apparently outdated. And all this should be automated too for scaling up to more tiles later on, so manual workarounds shouldn’t be needed.

So my question now is, if we’re meant to use data layers… then how do we import tiled heightmaps as terrain tiles for said data layers? I assume the workflow would be each tile gets it’s own data layer and you then group any geometry within each tile to said data layer?

I really hope this workflow will be improved in the future, or that I’m missing something fairly obvious. Because right now I’m right back to completely turned off from working with realtime which is a huge shame, because there’s just so much potential now even outside of game dev.

Tiles still work and can be seamlessly sculpted on. You just import it from the normal terrain import process, not world composition.

If the name of your r16 files is like filename_x0_y0, filename_x1_y0 etc it will detect it if they are in the same folder.

1 Like

World composition?
We’re talking about World Partition here, I can put as many maps I want alongside my main map, there are ignored by the World Partition system, how do you manage to add several landscapes to a project only using Unreal Engine, with no external software?

I’d also love to know more about this. I’ve been using World Creator 2 and the standard import from file method (black and white .raw height map) as a means of getting my terrain in. However, when I upgrade my UE4 project to UE5, the entire terrain, and all the actors and foliage meshes parented to it are simply gone and I’m left with your standard minimal default setup with the chairs and table.

If anyone has any idea how to properly upgrade UE4 world comp to UE5 world partition, or even how to wrap their head around this seemingly easy to use upgraded version, that would be awesome.l

2 Likes

I’ve been trying to figure out how to import a batch of tiles in one shot in World Partition as well. Has anyone figured out how to do this? The directory contains files like tile_x0_y0 etc, but obviously you can’t run in both World Comp and World Partition mode. It’s not clear how to import massively tiled maps.

So I got tiled importing working from World Creator. I exported 1003x1003 tiles, enough to fill 16 square km, but once they get into world partition they seem to get grouped back together 4 large tiles instead of 16 independent ones. So I haven’t figured out how to keep them broken up into smaller parts. This means editing the landscape with the tools is very slow because each mesh is massive. So I’m still experimenting, trying to figure out how to import a large number of small tiles and retain them. I want one LandscapeStreamingProxy per tile, not just 4 streaming proxies!

1 Like

Hi im kinda new to Unreal in general and want to learn UE5. I want to create a World mostly based on Reallife Heightdata, but i could not make it work for weeks now… i randomly stumbled over a heightmap pack from the region i desired. Each part is like 4x4km and my final map should be about 24x24km.
In ue4 it felt impossible to me to make a whole world out of it cuz of the sublevel system of wolrd composition. as far as i understood it , i needed to know where to place each heightmap b4 even working on it or the engine dont know where to put it ( xy coordinates…) Now with wolrd partition we dont need that sublevels anymore and i asked myself is it possible now for me to create a map that size out of my different heightmaps via scale rotate and cut outs… ?!

if some1 else know a programm pls let me know!

what impact got world partition on the map resolution, do i need to convert is at the end back again to the right resolution? b4 when i made my own heightmaps i had to make sure its the right resolution and greyscale 16bit and such, i mean i add right sized height maps but at the end it will be bigger and non symetric…

please some1 help my confused mind, thanks <3