World map tile size calculation formula confusion

In the project planning process I was reading up on the documentation and found something that was extremely confusing to me. I’ve passed the question on to my other team members and they were as puzzled as I was and it was suggested I post to the forums.

In the articleLandscape TechnicalGuide - Recommended landscape sizes there is a table of suggested values. They all seem to line up with the formula 63X+1 presented in the accompanying article except for the uppermost entry of 8129x8129 which only works out with the formula 64X+1 (X=127). I’ve seen noticeable typographic errors on the site in multiple places and I am led to speculate that this might be of the same nature but without seeing the exact steps taken to generate the given values it remains speculative. Can someone either confirm table error, or provide the complete algorithm used to calculate that table? Based on the information so far that entry should be 8002x8002 and not 8129x8129.

Hello

I just ignore those values just use the left 8129 = 8129 KM and just go like that.
it use it for seeing howmay componets there are in a terrain so if you start loading your tarrain you see those green lines.
you can igrove those are you gowing to inport your tarrain than juse this formula.

The landscape size in world machine / Build reseltion * 100 = Your scale balure for X, Y

you hight is Your world Machine hight * 0.1953125 = your Hight scale for Z

just some info if you are gowing to use world machine

those values are only intersting if you are iporting in engine you can select what you want.

Actually we are using 5cm resolution LIDAR topographic data, not World Machine. I have 437 files in Little-Endian .raw/.r16 format. At the moment our current tile size is 1009x1009.

I’m in the middle of coding an in-house tool. Because I have to code in the calculations I can’t merely “ignore those values”. I have to fully understand what they are and where they come from. I’m familiar with the scaling system and I don’t see how they relate at this point to specific pixel counts.

I know you are from the Netherlands and English/American is not your primary language but the spelling errors and some of the grammar has made it difficult for me to fully understand your reply. Correcting to the best of my ability I get your response to be:

Please note in my question I was trying to find out if the values are correct, and if so how were they calculated. I did not request information on scaling, the use of World-Machine, importing data maps, etc. In making decisions on file sizes I need accurate information and I had a valid concern about the quality of what was being presented. Saying that I should "pick what I want’ avoids the question posed and is professionally irresponsible to my team, my company, and myself. I have a background in technical and legal certification and quality quality control in both hardware and software in products foreign and domestic. I’m *quite *sensitive to my responsiblities.

Oh, we’re not using World Machine, we’re manipulating actual geographic data. LIDAR scans are fun!

It is component size * components in one axis + 1.

so for example, for the 8192 resolution it is 254 * 32 + 1 = 8192

There may be other size combinations possible by using different numbers of quads per section and sections per component. The quickest way to try a bunch of values is to use the new landscape tool and try changing the values and see what it gives as a valid resolution.

Thank you kindly, sir! Makes sense, I could see there was a formula, but I wasn’t quite getting it.

Unfortunately the page lists the value as 8129 rather than 8192. … and I just entered your numbers and formula into my regular hand-held calculator and it comes out as … 8129! I knew about the “+1” modifier, and after removing it the resulting value, 8128, factored into 24064, 42032, 81016, 16508, 32254, and 64127. In the article we see

Which led me to suspect the “64” value as the case. (I admit I missed seeing that “245x254” item there in the table).

I’m currently creating an external utility that cleans up our map data and exports it into a format that Unreal is able to import. While the built-in Landscape calculator is certainly useful, it first has to have the data in a size and format that it can accept - which is what my tool is supposed to produce. Meaning I need to be able to use the formulas prior to their importation.

(Warcabbit is my project lead).