World Machine To Unreal Open World

First Off Hey Everyone! New here so wanted to say hey.

I am new to Unreal only 1 month wet behind my ears and I am attempting to make a large terrain with World Machine to Unreal. Now this could very well be more towards a World Machine question, but here we go.

I want to make a map large enough for a RPG Style type of game. World Machine (free) only gives me a resolution of 513x513 which I can increase the size but it turns out looking like garbage. Is there any sort of Tutorial, Video, Wiki, or ETC… that explains how to make a large terrain in World Machine that is game ready? When making these maps I find that it looks nice but its all mountains and has no dynamic route to it other than climb up this mountain to another mountain to see… You guessed it mountains!!

I have tried doing my do diligence on Google searching and looking through here and forums, but no one actually shows anything in relevance to this in all honesty. I’v found world browser seems to link your landscapes but is that how you would make lets say Open World games?

Sorry for tl;dr
Basic Question, Best methods to make a large terrain without sculpting using World Machine(free).

Yours Truly,
:slight_smile:

Thanks in advance

Best way is to use World Composition (World Composition in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation) which will stream your tiles up to a certain distance set in Layers. You’ll make many little tiles in World Machine and then import them into the UE4. Be sure to have World Composition selected before importing otherwise it won’t let you if you have tiles in already. Let me now if that helps or if you need more information.

In World machine you can mask most of devices through the specific input node (usually it’s the purple one at the bottom of the device).
You can circumscribe the area of the perlin generator (for instance) using a poly-type layout generator, which limits the extent of the mountains giving them a decent falloff. Then you can create another perlin generator, set it to something smoother like hills and eventually circumscribe them too if needed, and so on until you get an underwater area.

You can use this technique to pretty much compose any type of landscape you want (I once generated a 1:1 map of Isla Nubla, from Jurassic Park).