Download

Work flow advice please!

Hello guys,

I been studying super hard but I’m confused on some things…Here is what I got, Blender,Gimp 2, sculptris (will get zbrush next), and SUBSTANCE DESIGNER 4.3 and SUBSTANCE PAINTER(Soon) and BITMAP2MATERIAL and ALL of Nvidia physx tools…I upgraded my PC to 28GB ram 8 core prossesor and a GTX 770 2GB video card and Im ready to build my GAMES… I tryed Maya LT but its buggy as hell, Its a very insulting tool…

ANYWAY, I got all these tools…I know how they work for the most part (designed alot of assests in blender) BUT I’m confused on what the workflow is (Example)-----> I made a fully detailed woman model in sculptris what do I do to get it into UE4 fully finished and playable?? TOTALLY lost and confused at the full process… :frowning: The reason I’m LOST, Is all this programs EVEN UE4 ALL has similar tools in them…

P.S. sorry if Im in wrong room…Wasn’t sure where to post this under*

Character:
create your model (in blender or sculptris) -> texture it -> create a rigg -> assign the mesh to the rigg -> create animations -> export -> import -> implement it -> create a material

Mesh:
create your model (in blender or sculptris) -> texture it -> create a collision (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTsAYpqHU-c) -> create a 2nd uv channel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5yc-bKbHyc) -> export -> import -> create a material

Character implementation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyYTYF0G5Kk

Hey Fighter :slight_smile: Thanks bro!..

For your sculptris model, you’ll need to export it to OBJ, retopo it in Blender or Maya Lt, rig it, UV unwrap it, export your UVs to a file you can work with in gimp, bake the details from the high resolution sculptris model (you can use something like xnormal for this), texture it, export from Blender or Maya lt as FBX, and then import into UE4. Sculptris is really fun to play around with, but the meshes that come out of it are an absolute mess, so you absolutely must retopologize it first.

Thanks Cynical !!! :slight_smile: I love this community!! :stuck_out_tongue: Autodeck community SUCKS…

Hi Sirhope,

There are definitely a lot of different workflows for different people. The core ones that Fighter laid down are a good start. As you get better with your craft you’ll figure out what works best for you to get what you want done.

CynicalCoffee touched on retopology. This is a big one for me. If you are creating a highpoly asset you would want to bake the information into a lowpoly one to make that much more efficient for game use.

If you run into issues with your workflow feel free to post. We’ll all help you out and give you some good pointers! :slight_smile:

Tim

Thanks Tim :slight_smile: Hey Tim, If you make small levels cant they be all highpolys? Say I made 50 levels and not 25, but each level was smaller, Couldnt you keep the polys high?

I suppose you could do that but you will probably still run into optimization issues.

You would still want to make sure you are using Cull Volumes to make sure meshes are that aren’t visible aren’t being rendered, you would want to make sure you are using multiple LODs for your meshes to help as well, and depending on how your scene is lit can dramatically affect FPS as well. Using Dynamic lights can become expensive if it’s rendering dynamic shadows for all the objects in the scene, depending on complexity of course.

If this is intended for only your machine and you’re not building for use on others you may find something that works for you. Developing for different types of machines is really where optimization can save your FPS and how the game handles.

Tim

Im building for everyone :slight_smile: I’m starting up a studio! I’m just trying to learn as much as I can…I don’t wanna be the stupidest boss :stuck_out_tongue: LOL… I’ll be announcing the Studio name tomorrow :slight_smile:

Nice! Glad to hear you’ve got something like this going on! In this instance, optimization would be the best route to take! :slight_smile:

Keep me informed on what’s going on! I’m definitely interested in what you and others are doing with the engine!

Tim

I will bro! :slight_smile:

Maybe the reason it’s all seeming a bit daunting is because you’re trying to do everything at once? I find it easier to break these things down. Focus on one program at a time; become comfortable working within that environment, then move onto the next.

It might be wise to work on something small first, such as props and other static meshes. That’ll allow you to focus on both modelling and texturing, without worrying about rigging and animation. Then you’ll only have to export the mesh, import it into Unreal Engine 4, then you’ll be able to see some progress! That’ll help provide a morale boost, as well.

Thanks Daniel :slight_smile: Yes I’m trying to do it all LOL…Thanks for the advice, I’ll go do that :slight_smile: