Wolrd Machine to UE4 using World Composition

Sorry to be a noob, but I dont understand what weightmaps are, and how do people get the slopes and angles in there?
I want to create my own terrain, and I can always import it but only as grey. I can’t texture it.

Is anyone able to help?

Thank you :slight_smile:

I hate to say this but I would look at the World Machine Documentation. It’s pretty poorly organized but that’s part of the game. A weightmap just tells the engine how much “weight” a certain texture should have on your terrain like grass or rock. It works essentially the same as a roughness map or any other type of input. They are usually generated inside of WorldMachine and exported using the Bitmap Output node. You can also get a number of macros from the WM website that automate the process. You can select slopes and heights using selection nodes inside WM. Sorry if this doesn’t help much. I would definitely recommend looking through the WM documentation or opening some of their examples.

Hi all!!

First of all thanks Lyons Den for this awesome tutorial, very useful!!
I’m new in landscape creation and i’m encountering some problems: the landscape import in UE4 using your settings in WM worked like a charm, but I’m experiencing a bad texture repetition in with the material settings “as is” in UE4

another thing: the rock texture is not shown, probably i’ve set the wrong weight in WM?
this is my settings:

Another thing: I’m thinking about the possibility to scale down the map size because of the long time to export all the stuff from WM (48 minutes in my case)!! because i’m trying this stuff for the first time and I need to do more attempts! but i dont know what parameters I can use expecially for the tiles exported/altitude/map dimension to have all in scale and with the correct values !

EDIT : founded a problem building lights (preview quality) Lightmass importance:added

Hey,

For me everything is working fine except for the material setup part, I think I followed all instructions but my material remains black for some reason. Did that happen to anyone before?

Edit:

I should have mentioned the material appears black in the preview window inside the material editor. Strangely enough, when I applied it via the Import Tiled Landscape menu, it ended up showing correctly inside the engine. Strange?

Do it Step by Step but if i load all my levels they get placed on the same place so they just overlap tile over tile :frowning:

I’m having a problem with importing the terrain into ue4.8. I’m not sure if its how I’m exporting from wm2 or on unreals side. Trying to do a tiled landscape but it all still imports as one tile.

Cool to have nice tut
thanx for your time and dedication

I’m a bit of a noob when it comes to material setup. I tried following the procedure set out in the OP, but part 1.4 had me a bit flummoxed. The result is that I ended up with a pitch black texture on my landscape… Can someone explain the strange textures below the three other textures? And where do I find the tiling parameter on the landscapeCoords (I can’t seem to find it. Is it different in 4.8.1?)

EDIT: I just noticed that Mantikore (above) seems to have the same problem. Did anyone find a solution?

nice tutorial , this wil come very useful to me , thx

I honestly haven’t tried this process in 4.8. Give me the day and I’ll go through the entire process and update as needed.

Much appreciated . I’m sure it’s just how the material has been set up. In my case at least I know the hieghtmaps have been set up correctly. I’m pretty sure the weightmaps are correct as well as I followed the instructions pretty carefully … and I’ve got a good handle on WM. UE4 however … well, I’m still feeling my way around it.

Alright, I updated the first post. It was a fairly simple fix. Instead of using landscape layer weights, use landscape layer blend nodes. You will only need one node. Then in the node properties and each layer to the elements and label it to match your weights. Hope that works for you. I just tested in 4.8.1 with no issues. You will have to play around with the scaling to get it perfect.

The only fix for the flipping on the Y axis, is to not flip on the Y axis with world machine.

After you have built your tiled world, you need to revert the y coords for all the file outputs.

Say you have 16 by 16 tiles.
Output_x00_y00, would become Output_x00_y15
Output_x00_y01 would become Output_x00_y14
Output_x00_y02 would become Output_x00_y13 and so on.

This needs to be done for your height and weight files.

Apparently this will be resolved in 4.9. Saying that, I read it would be fixed in 4.8 also.

Hope this helps!

You could do it that way also. Many ways to skin a cat, however just ticking flip y in WM is easier and quicker and I like easy and quick.

Also if this isn’t being fixed in 4.8 as it was supposed to be, and they aren’t fixing it due to time , or something, then what tiled terrain app is recommended ?

While I’m on the subject, can one just make their own terrains ( already have one large terrain ) and add them as they go into WC and expect them to be ‘stitched’ correctly or ?

Also :
(0,0) (1,0) (2,0) (3,0)
(0,1) (1,1) (2,1) (3,1)
(0,2) (1,2) (2,2) (3,2)
(0,3) (1,3) (2,3) (3,3)

,certainly to me seems like it is a linear approach top down ( makes more sense to me anyway and I think how most of us were taught in school? )so maybe it is WM that should consider changing its settings.

Having said all that, @ :

" The only fix for the flipping on the Y axis, is to not flip on the Y axis with world machine. "

I don’t recall anyone saying, flipping made things turn out wrong in ue4 given it expects that format, so just so I have all this straight ‘when’ I use wm, what are the pros and cons of flipping OR not flipping. I read through all posts and unless I missed something ( easily could have, its a lot to go through for a mostly noob to WM > UE4 ) I was hoping you could make this quick and easy to comprehend why you don’t do one or the other ?

I"d rather have the ‘right’ way than 'multiple ’ ways :wink:

Thanks
nl

Sadly that’s not going to work for me. My entire world ends up being a mirror of itself. I’m surprised it’s not an option in WM or UE. :frowning:

I really don’t see this as any kind of solution. No matter how you look at it, your terrain will be flipped to what it is supposed to look like. Yes its all connected, but its entirely inverted. What if you are trying to get something specific and not just some random terrain?

Again, of course flipping with WM makes everything turn out wrong in UE4. Everything is inverted…

Say I wanted to make this

And I wanted it to be connected as a tiled terrain in UE4. If I used the Flip on the Y axis option in WM. It would end up like the next image in UE4.

Clearly this is just not right. Flipping on the Y axis just isn’t a proper solution.

I don’t see why people keep suggesting this as the normal method of doing this.

Ouch, ty so much for pointing that out visually, , got it a and ya how that could be seen as a solution I also do not get ,obvious for now if one uses wm is as you noted, switch grid values.

TY mucho

nl

Hi there.

Ok, to all guys who have problem with material gooing black and that they dont see it, you need to do this as it is not mention in turtorial
1.open material for terrain and select layers blend

2.change preview to 0.5 on all layers and normal map and it will work

now my material is little diffrent beacouse i wase making splat map but it is the same thing soo injoy :smiley:

“Change the Z scale. Times the world height used from World Machine by 0.1953125 and enter that number in Z scale.”
How is that number determined? Where’d you get that?