It’s time to do work on the blockout stage!
This is the very first blockout that I did. I tried to get mainly the shapes of the house, proportions, and measures as well as gameplay area.
Later on I started to work in the house interior and some of the exterior landscape too. The exterior is still the same through many of my iterations and I’m not satisfied with how it looks. So for the exterior I’ll take a step back and doodle a little bit more, so I can make a consistent environment with good quality in both areas.
This is the entrance room for the house. I made it like a store (a drug store, for example), imagining that many of the citizens that lives nearby will come to visit the wizard and buy some of his medicines. It’s important to mention that the blueprint mentions the lab and the bedroom in different places that they currently they are now, that’s because I thought it would make more sense that these rooms have a different purpose, so where the blueprint indicates the lab is now the wizard’s bedroom and where is the bedroom I created a kind of a living room where the wizard would have important social meetings.
Lastly I made an underground lab and this one I followed the concept from the previous post. After blocking it felt that a few things needed to be readjusted (such as the back wall, it’s very different from the concept), and that’s the good part about doodling and concepting, you get out ideas from your head and when you put them into action your mind is free to just imaginate more and further improve what you’ve already creating, turning something good into something amazing
Never be afraid to change something if you feel like you can do better
So I was really satisfied with how the house was blocked and how the gameplay flow was going in this environment, and in the next step I would download some placeholder textures and experimented what of material would be in each wall, floor, exterior, etc.