Within Shadow Veil - adventure, story driven game

Within Shadow Veil is an adventure, story driven game and I’m glad to reveal it’s first teaser! And to showcase some of the characters as well.

Character concept art was done by Ekaterina Mikhailova.

](http://filedata/fetch?id=1851759&d=1610456702)

Storyline intro:

Young lady found herself in the deep shadows on the seashore after the shipwreck. A thin flow of a golden light bleeds from her wounded hand…

Core gameplay:

~70% 3rd person adventure with puzzles, realtime tactical battles
~30% 2d platformer with big accent on action

Setting:

Medieval times with a pinch of steampunk. In few words - combination of witcher 3 and dishonored.

Map structure will be more or less similar to old PC1 game “Medievil”. Not open world, but player can travel back and forth between levels. New areas, hidden spots will be unavailable until you’ll get necessary skills or objects - some sort of Metroidvania.

Hope you like it! I’ll be glad to hear your thoughts!

3 Likes

No one commenting on this? This looks amazing! Definitely would like to see a little gameplay teaser or something to get a better feeling for what it is going to be like, but other than that this looks great! Keep up the good work!

1 Like

What happened with this? this looked amazing!!!

1 Like

What a beautifully imaginative world! The shot with the windmill looked epic - as if damned clouds of ghosts are rising to haunt the desolate land! I’d also like to know what became of this! I am amazed at the beauty of this project! The concept is also potentially wondrous, and my curiosity is piqued for excitement!

1 Like

Wow, this looks so incredibly immersive and exciting. The exploration especially seems like something I could spend hours doing. Can’t wait for trailers of the gameplay :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well… didn’t get any notifications, thought that no one was commenting at all)) Thanks for your kind feedback!!!

For many reasons (mostly financial/lack of spare time) the project is in the process of a very… extremely slow development stage. Unfortunately? Yes it is, but at least it’s not canceled)))
Today it would be too reckless on my part to promise something, but I really hope to share some updates in a month or so. Maybe in a way of devlogs.

3 Likes

The smile on my face when I read @Khadyko 's update! :smiley:

Thank you so much for letting us know what is happening with your project! All completely understandable reasons, of course. We’re eagerly standing by in support of your project and excitedly looking forward to its updates!

Have an amazing weekend and welcome back! :raised_hands:t4:

2 Likes

Thank you @Get_DOVAH_it ! Really appreciate it!

2 Likes

Hey! So devlogs, yes. Probably it’s the best way for now to share progress and talk about the game in general. Please, take a look and share your thoughts! I would loooove to read them! Even the negative ones:)

3 Likes

@Khadyko , we are extremely excited to see this latest devlog update! Congratulations with the release of your first episode!

The storyline for Shadow Veil is absolutely wondrous! We uncover a rare golden, liquid light that produces energy and possesses life-sustaining properties, wherein that light is challenged by life-draining shadow.

I really love that the game will be designed in a way that shows a real-time restoration process, giving the player a visual representation of their efforts in-game.

The blocking for the world and the concept for the world are equally incredible! The structures are built into the mountain, with the advantage of a beautiful vista of the surrounding natural beauty of the land. The inspiration photos are hauntingly magical, and I’m eagerly looking forward to how the world will be ultimately presented.

Is this a solo endeavor? I heard you mention side stories. Is this similar to side quests that differ from the main storyline? Will you include a real-time compass for navigation? Will the world be large enough to create placeholders/markers for the player to navigate back to as they progress through the levels?

1 Like

@Get_DOVAH_it, thank you for such a detailed feedback!

1 - Unfortunately yes, still solodev.

2 - Side stories, not the side quests. There will be no journal. The story is linear, but the player can find some clues that can explain the lore or the event the outcome of which the player sees.

3 - That’s not an openworld. There will be no need for a compass. If you are familiar with the “Medievil” game, then this is it, the best example of world map and level structure. The world is designed in the way that there will always be at least one huge point of interest that can be used as “North” by the player.

4 - If I understand correctly, your last question was about fast travel points. If yes, then there will be no such thing since the game world is not that big. But, for example, if a player wants to visit lvl 7 while he is at lvl 3, he needs to go to the exit from the level, which takes him to the world map, from where he can jump directly to the lvl 7 if that area has already been opened by the player. At its core, the game genre can be called Metroidvania, so there is always the possibility of dying with relatively large unsaved progress. But there is always a “but”:slight_smile: The game is not big, the plot is linear, what gives enough save points and, in addition, autosave when the player enters the level, picking up important items, and so on.

1 Like

Decipher is a tool that drains blood from the carrier and converts it to a beam of light energy. Not a regular blood of course, but the one called “liquid light”.
Custom modules can improve or change the way the base device works.

1 Like

Love this very detailed glove.
And the game with the setting looks awesome. The concepts of the game reminds me a little at myth in 3D like you set up the parts of the island.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for a feedback! Never played Myth, but yeah why not, general concept can be similar in some way.