With Matinee no longer supported, how do you create a generic 1p camera animation?

As of UE 4.23, Matinee is no longer supported. I get that sequencer is the superior (albeit more complicated) alternative. But what do you do if you don’t want to create a level-specific full-blown cinematic, but just a reusable quick first person camera animation, like moving the head slightly when climbing up a ledge or reloading the weapon?

Previously, one could use a camera shake with a CameraAnim (Matinee) class, and while it still works for now, the Matinee editor now has a huge red bar that says that in a future version of UE4, one will not be able to run or open Matinees.

So please, what is the simplest alternative? I could find no relevant youtube tutorials for this, and no one is mentioning it anywhere.

The only solution I can think of, which still is quite annoying, would be to create a skeleton for the neck and head and attaching the camera to that, and creating animations that way. Maybe it’s the best way though.

The existing CameraAnim workflow will continue to be supported in a similar fashion, but parts that currently rely on Matinee (such as editing and creating these standalone assets) will be converted to another method (such as a form of Sequencer) that does not rely on Matinee.

Existing CameraAnim assets will continue to be supported but they may require an user-directed conversion (similar to how a Matinee sequence can be converted to a Sequencer sequence).

Thanks for the clarification! :slight_smile: Do you have a source that mentions this, just for confirmation?

I work on Sequencer, and was the one who added the big red bar :slight_smile: