Download

[WIP] Survival platformer RPG for PC

Hi, I’m Max. I know this will come as a great shock, but I’m working on a game.

Unlike most, I don’t plan to release it. It’s a labour of love, and I use this project - and have done so for the last couple of years - to learn.

I open it up once or twice a month and tinker. That’s all.

I don’t really want to work in gamedev, so I don’t expect to ever reach the finish line. So there’s that. Which might make you think this thread is pretty pointless, and you may be right. But here it is anyway.

My dev environment, to begin with, is this.

x94qvSl.png

What’s my game about? Well, they say that one should reduce games to one plugline. I guess mine would be:

Nothing fancy. I know, I know.

The first page of my design document is this.

The alien planet looks like this. Well, it will look better. This is just the first iteration.

pxSvmCj.jpgu7JGHgw.jpgAglQBFK.jpg

Right now I’m working on the textures for my planet. Here’s one example, the base gravel texture. Again, this is the first iteration. It’s far to ‘washed out’ for use. Which is why I feel I can post it. If it appears in a ****** Greenlight game I’ll laugh. People with an eye for quality wouldn’t use that, would they?

Ok5UhWY.jpgwqnZZOo.jpgjumtBXW.jpg2dJds3l.jpg

What have I done for two-three years on this game? Well, I’ve restarted it three times. I deleted everything, and began anew. But also, I have a lot of stuff, code, in Unity to convert: player stats, quest system, inventory system, minimap, and so on. I just have to implement that in blueprints in Unreal 4.

Finally, why post this thread? Well, it’s a way to learn. Like Vesimir told Geralt when he spotted Ciri doing the pendulums at Kaer Morhen. “One shouldn’t train alone. It only embeds mistakes.” I suppose that’s wise.

So, what do you think so far?