I’ve shown snippets of this project in the past but had a huge break from it for one reason or another. Anyway, I recently got back on the horse and made some progress which you can see in the video below. I actually had the opportunity to show an earlier version of this to Chance at EGX last year (which you can read about here - My first EGX experience (featuring Chance!) - General Discussion - Unreal Engine Forums )
…HOWEVER, after getting plenty of insight from watching the great videos that EPIC put out, I have decided to rebuild all my blueprints from scratch, making optimisations and fingers crossed sorting out the horribly janky flight movements you’ll see at times in the video.
Whilst I work as an artist in the games industry, I’ve decided to completely avoid doing any artwork for the game until my mechanics are nailed down, so all visuals and audio are entirely placeholder right now. Those of you that recognise the game that inspired me should know that I already have unique mechanics planned to avoid any copycat (and C&D) claims - for now however I feel I have to get the absolute basic gameplay sorted.
Wish me luck and I’ll come back with progress updates.
Where I got to:
- Runs on PC and Android (platform to be decided but I think it’ll just be PC)
- 3 laps where you have 2minutes to get as high a score as you can by flying through rings and collecting orbs
- Rings/orbs respawn as you fly over the start point, but if you have collected 20 orbs and fly inside the start building, you move onto the next lap
- Rack up your score by boosting your multiplier (cancels if you don’t grab a pickup in time)
- Boost meter is filled when you grab pickups and emptied when you boost (trail turns blue when this is happening)
- Game over if you don’t move onto the next lap before time runs out
- Final results are given if you complete all 3 laps, with the total number of orbs collected during the 3 laps providing a bonus to your overall score.