[WIP] Project Frequency | Open World Survival Horror

Super Intense!

Really not a fan of that noise filter. Also it would be cool if the monsters responded to nearby gunshots, allowing the player to become easily overwhelmed if they fire at an inopportune moment.

Looks good, although I agree with Minderaser the noise seems a little much. Perhaps make it a bit subtler?

I’ll be adding an option in-game to enable/remove the noise filter, personally I enjoy it since Silent Hill 2 had a pretty heavy noise filter that gave it that grungy/dirty look that I love. And yes!! Monsters will react to sound, you will be able to use bottles and other throwable objects to lure them away, gunshots will attract all monsters nearby. Mainly using a sphere trace, any monster that it collides with, will switch their states to investigating, making them move to the location that the sound was generated.

's a new batch of screenshots, I finally managed to set up the intro scene which will teach the players the basic controls and give some insight on the story, plus scaring the **** out of them. This scene will remind you guys of PT somehow :).

Out of nowhere I got this spark of motivation to model an asset, so I quickly made this can and textured it with UVs (I mostly used material IDs since I didn’t have the knowledge to generate UV maps and paint them). Not bad for Mr. C++ Programmer hehe :stuck_out_tongue:

I like the Noise, but, a Noise Filter Option sounds pretty neat. Will it allow adjustment or just toggled on/off. The more options you offer to the Player the better in my opinion.

BTW, Nice Rusty Tin Can. You hand-crafted the texture? More of an Artist than you give yourself credit for. I know how you feel being a Code-Centric Game Dev. I’m learning 3D Modeling & Animation in Blender. I actually enjoy modelling, but, weary of texture mapping.

Looking at this project makes me realize that I have a long ways to go until I get something remotely showable :frowning:

Great work :slight_smile:

Same .

But I’m so proud of you, BioXide. It’s really cool to see how far you’ve come, and all on your own? It’s inspiring, man. Also, congrats on your kid’s first birthday!

Depends, noise filter actually affects the gameplay with the sanity system so I can’t really remove it completely, I’ll probably lower the noise a bit more and use these values when the sanity is dropping. And yes, I didn’t make the texture for scratch but I modeled the tin can, generated the uv map and manually placed the textures in photoshop, adjusting the seams so they’re not that noticeable. Since then, I’ve been able to make models and texture them in photoshop/substance without any problems ^_^, I can finally do every role in a video game development, massive achievement for me, but there’s still so much to learn.

's some of the items you’ll be using to heal your stats, I made everything but the medkit, whiskey bottle and pills :stuck_out_tongue:

All of this is achievable by anyone, all it takes it determination, discipline and patience. Been working on this game since 2012 by myself and I’m not stopping anytime soon lol.

Thank you for the warming comment!

Yes this has been a solo project since the Unity days, I’ve had people making models/music for me, but that’s about it, nobody has actually worked alongside me with the project files. I’ve been going solo with the UE4 version till recently that Death joined the “team”, he has been making all these awesome first person animations plus upcoming ones like a shotgun, lighter and other weapons planned. After the Kickstarter I’ll be opening up the project files and setting up a version control, so Death can join the party and work with some level design and possibly any other hired artist.

Now for the good stuff! 's some GIFs showing the improve weapon visual effects, muzzle flashes and shells have been added, they look and feel awesome!

I’ve been mostly making assets/fixing some stuff/organizing my code and project files so then I can focus on the main menu/intro and horde mode, I plan on having a playable demo by the end of next week or two weeks at top. Anyways, 's the rest of the pics for today!

I haven’t been posting actively since there’s not much engagement from the community, so I moved over to my FB page and groups. There’s been LOTS and LOTS of changes in regards to the mechanics, I won’t bother mentioning them because I’ll finish tomorrow lol, but let’s say the game is on a playable state already and the pre-alpha demo is approaching quickly, 's a massive batch of screenshots while we wait for a new update video.

pls delete the grain… it is messing with the realistic feeling

It’s mostly the JPEG compression that makes the grain look that intense, I actually lowered the value to around 0.5 after receiving some feedback but I’m mostly leaning towards a dirty, dead, desaturated and grainy look that resembles Silent Hill, I’m achieving this by a combination of different PP effects.

's the newest video! I hope you guys enjoy the progress!

Edit: I recently got interviewed by thegamerscene.com for my game :smiley:

http://www.thegamerscene.com/featured/exclusive-interview-with-project-frequency-game-developer/

Great interview. The title of the movie mentioned during the interview was PULSE.

YES!!! Oh god how could have it escaped my thoughts during the moment I needed it most, another movie to mention is The Signal, it features somewhat the same story element like Pulse.

hey… release a demo. Now. Or i will starve XD

Soon™

:wink:

Haha, it’s almost there don’t worry :smiley:

Heya! 's a new video which explains the new inventory/reloading mechanics in the game, it uses a magazine system instead of an ammo count. Check it out!

Little error @ shotgun: What are those bullets at the shotgun attached? Why did the player doesnt use those XD

Nice observation haha, those bullets are attached to the shotgun model, which is a placeholder for now, although what you’re saying is true, animating/using those bullets will result in a massive headache haha

its more about: What would happen if the player has no ammo more… why dont use those attached to the shotgun :,D