[WIP] Physical Sky - Weather System

Looking forward to see this developement. Will you add more like thunder, rain, windstorms++ ?
If it wont be in the $70/90 range, ill get it :slight_smile:

I donā€™t know what to say, but if it helps, I did a little fart when I watched the first videoā€¦

gl :smiley:

Looking quite amazing, great job!

Would love to see streams start to form from the melted snow :wink:

I will add things like rain, snow, clouds and maybe some lightning for sure. But when the system is finished you will be able to implement every kind of effect you need in addition to that on your own.

glad you didnā€™t fart when watching the last video :wink:

I have actually thought about the same thing but I am still working right now on the performance and extendability/usability right now and therefore the these things have a much lower priority.

Looks very convincing! :slight_smile: Something I would use in my CGI work. Hope it wont be too expensive.

Diddo. Streams forming from melted snow would be AMAZING. However it is very understandable that this would be set at a low priority.

I need some good looking rain. Did you ever release anything with that?

Is this still in development?

How fkin is that?!

Is this still being worked on?

Thank you all very much for the ongoing interest in this project.

Sadly I got a little sidetracked by a few other projects I had to work on.

But am still not finished with this one. Now that UE4 has got a few new features that seem to be really helpful to push this project forward, I feel that I might be able to do everything I myself would like to get out of it.
I plan on working on this one during the upcoming holidays and see how far I can get.

Iā€™m also thinking about releasing this for free for non-commercial use but Iā€™m not entirely sure right now.

Iā€™ll keep you posted with updates and videos.

Edit: Forgot to mention I reworked the core of the transition system completely and added a lot of new interface functionality. For now itā€™s still in test phase but I might be able to post a short video of it in action. :wink:

If the performance is good, this will certainly show useful for game usage. Easy integration with existing weather packs would be a big plus (Genius Weather SFX). Related http://www.mawiunited.com/store/store_we.html

Ditto!!! I completely agree. Easy integration with MawiUnitedā€™s pack in particular would be very useful.

A melting feature? Very interesting.

So Iā€™ve been working on this again. Clean unreal project to strip away all messy parts.
So far Iā€™ve reworked the snow. Wetness and puddles are on the list and should be done soon.
Cleaned up everything and put everything into a hopefully easy to use material function.

My current test setup for the material on the test mesh:

And a sneak peak of the completely reworked core system and its control interface.
The interface is still WIP and it has a little bug with Play/Pause that I have yet to fix. Images for buttons are missing, some alignments and colors are off.
But I think itā€™s a lot easier to use and more streamlined than before.

A video demonstration of the system controlling the snow is coming soon.

Edit:
As promised, the videos.

Updated the previous post with videos.

I think Iā€™ll put up the current version of the snow here for free for you to test and suggest additions.
Iā€™ll keep working on it if I can find the time.
Next on the list are:

• Baked object shadow masks
  • Different masking for accumulating snow
  • Higher snow accumulation around objects
  • Accumulation influenced by wind direction

Are you planning to sell this system? If so, when?

yes I want to sell it at some point. but only when Iā€™m happy with it. This is a long term side project, so can not tell you when this will happen.
But I plan to release some parts along the way for free like the snow material function for example (going to upload it at the end of the weekend).
They will have just a ā€œbasicā€ featureset, meaning not all features that donā€™t depent on other parts of the system.

Here is a 4.14.3 Project where you can have a look into the Snow. Try it, test it and Iā€™d love to hear what you think of it.
Feature and performance suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I am not sure why i would need a control panel, and it would be very feasible, at least for myself a requirement to have paintable layers too. So it would be prefered to have premade max paintable layers setup (16), and then you could enable them through a master material, and add missing (your own) landscape textures.

Donā€™t bother with foliage unless it is instanced foliage.