(WIP) Interactive VR for Architecture & Interior Design

Hello everyone,

We are working in a VR solution for furniture and interior design companies. Here you can see a Work In Progress video where we demostrate the functionalities and the tests done using it. Testing UE4 limits with high poly models and HQ materials in a natural lighting room.

Lot of work to finish it yet, so we would appreciate any comment.

We hope you enjoy it!!

Wow awesome!!!

Nice! beside the artifacts on the ceiling ( Build lighting was not set to Production? ) I notice that the realtime lighting and shadows are pretty good.
Are you using any particular tricks to that?

Thank you for your comments!

The “artifacts” on the ceiling are dampness stains… or they expect to be xDD, but the distance and the recording quality transform them close to artifacts, so may be it’s a good idea to made them much more obvious.

About the lighting, it’s the most outstanding aspect we want to show in this video, unfortunately I can’t talk freely about that till the end of the project… I hope you understand my position, sorry, but it’s not a secret recipe, there are a lot of people here that can help you only watching the video :wink:

No problem at all, I’ve been doing some RnD for ArchViz using Noitom Hi5 VR Gloves, integrating more or less most of the features you shown in the video, and also try to integrate VXGI into the mix, but with a GTX1070 there’s no way to run the scene at 90fps steady.

I know that there have been lots of improvements with realtime lighting using various techniques, so I guess that I just need to spend some time experimenting with the engine :wink:

The gloves for this kind of applications are so immersive and I think any VR system has to have gloves instead of the motion controllers. All the imputs can be done inside VR I think… and for games, full body suits will be necessary. Any other solution is a temporary patch, in my opinion.

The same for illumination, GI solution is the key to reach the best results, but VR is much more demanding than desktop games, so we have to be patient and evolve with the available technology.

Depens on what you’re trying to achieve…I personally developed a custom solution ( more then a year ago ), using a full body mocap suit and the MSI VR One, giving the user a “World Scale” VR solution, without any tracking cameras

Although the solution has been used as a proof of concept, I also developed custom grabbing and interaction using the gloves ( the one you see in the video are from the mocap suit itself, while the new ones are dedicated just for hands and they’re using Vive Trackers ), and I then integrated the interactivity into the Hi5 Gloves, in order to replace completely the Vive controllers, you can see some examples below.

In addition to that, in order to achieve better full body animation, I recently got IKinema Orion, and wow, the tracking is great, and the custom integration of the VR gloves makes it perfect for both mocap and VR immersion!

Sorry for the spamming of the videos, but I thought that this might interest you :slight_smile:

Cheers

Nicolas

Thank you so much!! Really very interesting! Specially like the welding training example and the IKinema test :smiley:

Good job!!

Great job !
will you share your job in the marketplace in the near future? :slight_smile:

Not in the near future, sorry, but it’s not bad idea to start to create marketplace content… thank you for your comment :slight_smile:

I would really love to implement it in my archviz! :slight_smile:

If you’re wondering about the dynamic indirect shadows, take a look at this: Using Distance Field Indirect Shadows in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.3 Documentation

It’s not perfect though and you’ll probably face some issues like thin meshes casting no shadows or generating artifacts on themselves. To overcome those you’ll need to play with Distance Field Resolution Scale and Distance Field Replacement Mesh.

That technique combined with Volumetric Lightmap and SSAO or DFAO can actually deliver pretty decent dynamic furniture for static light conditions.

very nice

is this applicable for leap motion hands ???

Thank you for your comment.

Yes, the result would be similar to gloves interaction, but making all touchable, menu included.