[WIP] Basic sword and shield melee - third person action game (The Tarks search)

Hi Omorote, my combat system was made in blueprint only, and now, besides its working, i´m needing to make a lot of tweaks and certainly not very practical solutions to make this work and escape from some crashes in the engine. If i need to remade this i will use traces instead of overlaps like i´m using right now.

And dont get me wrong, i will help you , but all depends of a series of pre made decisions , like how do you control your animations, your variables in behavior tree and so on, do you know what a mean ? Its not just a " take my blueprint " thing and its all good. Its all interlaced, and thats my first complain about Unreal (certainly because my lack of experience) … You cant simply use the variables of your blueprint directly . The way you need to get those values and always replicates them in the other systems (Behavior Tree, Animation, etc) its to bureaucratic in my opinion, hehehe.

If you have Hangout we can try a chat (if you excuse my poor english vocabulary and lack my of good english conversation skills :smiley: ).

Or just post in my thread whatever question you have and i will do my best to answer it , can it be?

Kubold does a really nice shield and sword anim pack…

Edit: http://www.kubold.com/?page_id=569 - Yes i have purchased it, it’s pretty sweet.

I had already seen this package Kubold and is actually the package of dreams for anyone who is making a game with sword and shield fighting. As I am still in the prototype stage and put my character (which is far from finished) just to have a better climate of feeling, I’m not worrying about the animations now.

Kubold me also said he had sent some time this package to the ordeal of Epic and is waiting to be released to vote. As I intend to use my store credits I end up waiting a little longer.

Thanks for the tip anyway.

I’m still thinking to buy the one from Kubold or sign up for Mixamo. For $250 you get 60 animations and for $500 you have 120 animations … and not just combat. They have all the jumping, ladders climbing and many more.

I manage to use their app named Fuse to build a character, import it into unreal and attach it to standard skeleton.

I also downloaded Mixano’s free pack, extracted the attack and add it to my character … but as you can see at my video, the attack moved my character above the ground. I didn’t find way to fix that yet.

BTW: all to code, except the bridge animation is in C++

See if this can help you with your attack animation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8ardXXy5pE&index=17&list=PLZlv_N0_O1gZS5HylO_368myr-Kg2ZLwb

Thanks Rudse!

Well it’s a bit odd with variables, there is not just a “global variable” in Unreal. But you can cast to a variable or read it, or use interface messages.

For instance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgsYsViIRYE

New video with some little improvements …

Hey guys !

Just sharing a new video with the mount first animations (3 idles, mount and Run). Needs some tweaks here and there, but i will keep working on it,

Hello friends !

Another video showing the damage system triggering animations according to the direction from which came the blow using BlendSpace and an angle value.

Its simple, but make me very happy with the results. It adds more visual fluidity to the game.

Hope you guys like it. :smiley:

In the next video I intend to show the combo system that made ​​using the AnimMontage for obvious reasons.

Hi friends !

I managed to complete the combo system to my game, and a QTE to raffle 3 buttons and check if the player pressed the right buttons in a certain amount of time (i know QTE its not an AAA feature , but hey) , but what i really want to show today is the first enemy for the game . He is on the infamouus T Pose yet, but he will be rigged and ready to go in the next couple days.

Hope you guys liked.

Here is the Lowpoly game version rendered in Maya (without teeths)
98d491fcc96fef16c7aa475ddc1c66a40fbfa5cd.jpeg

Inside Unreal
e212fa318b7e190f5e6bcd8e30bcd3de3193ab49.jpeg

Zbrush Highpoly version

This looks promising.
I love the big guy’s animation. So funny :smiley:

Thank you Lali90 !

I´m just created another type of enemy today. Its a brute giant kind off enemy . The low - poly is ready now and i hope to finish the skim / rigg later today .

Hope you guys like it ! :slight_smile:

0813c1cbabb8ccbb8413d6a0ea92afa6398ab418.jpeg

Hello friends.

I would like to present the last advances in the game. In much of the story the main character (Tark) is rescuing the children of his village who were taken as slaves, so I started to implement this in the gameplay mechanics. Another point that I consider a breakthrough was the parry system where the player can perform a stronger blow hitting the correct sequence. Of course it still needs many refinements, both in animation and in the UI, but all in good time (the lone wolf life is not easy, hehehe)

Latest Updates:

• Gameplay mechanic to rescue children
    -Parry Mechanics
    -A little interaction with wildlife (ever heard of a fish-insect)
    -First Enemy already fighting (lack of defense animation, going for T-POSE)
    -Second Enemy with simple cloth test (in a horrible animation lol)
  • AI miniboss moving and attacking

Thats all for now! Thanks guys, and i hope you liked it!

PS - I’m listening and noting the criticism and suggestions if you have. :slight_smile:

• Latest Video

Hy friends. Here is a simple preview of the first real level of Tark´s Search ! Sorry about the low quality.

f54343545dd48a99d5a42c316eb38b30eb23380c.jpeg

Looks cool man! That combo system is awesome.

Thank you FatMoth!

The combo is a simple logic with AnimMontage snd notifyes in the individual animations, meant to open time windows, that checks if the player hit the button in time. You some one are interest i can post blueprints nodes here, but is very simple and i believe that are a better way to do this.

Pretty cool man… really like the characters / creatures. Your fight system is pretty cool. I can relate to the difficulty in coming from a non programming background here. Everything you do is a lesson and almost everything you do there’s a feeling of wanting to re-do it when you find out better ways to deal with problems. There’s the balance I guess, how much do you rework things. But it’s a fun process and I like the fact that it’s possible to accomplish this with no programming background. Really good stuff.

Obi , thank you for the kind words ! Great to see exceptional works like yours, knowing that you also had no experience in programming and managing to do this this incredible work. This really motivates me . And yes , it is a process that at times consumes us in view of the complexity and diversity of this issue , like the artistic part was not already complex enough right? But it’s really fun and rewarding most of the time, and find that balance you commented on " correct / improve " the project seems to be really the key .
I also want to thank you for your tips on the ragdoll system which I will test today. All the best, and i hope to see you " breaking the bank " with your Ninja game soon (i know, i know … time … we need some clones : ) )!