(WIP) Barroom Billiards - Physics driven arcade game

Hello everyone.

I am working on a very basic physics driven billiards arcade game in Unreal Engine 5. It is very much a work-in-progress, but we all have to start somewhere.

I have a rudimentary implementation of the following functionality in place at the moment:

1 - The player can execute a strike on the Cue Ball. (even if it is only at the same force each time)

2 - The table has a controller blueprint that can; Monitor the table to see if it is in play; Remove pocketed balls from play; Reset the table to a previous state if the Cue ball is pocketed; And monitor if the table is cleared to reset for the next round.

Next I will be working on refining the gameplay. If anyone is interested in following along, here is a YouTube video with my first developer log for this project.

1 Like

Hello everyone. I should have the next developer update ready for this weekend.

In the meantime, I did manage to update the low-poly developer art from the last post with something a bit better.

Here are some screenshots of the Work-in-progress table environment update.

Hello everyone, I hope that you have all had a great week?

I have made the following updates this week to the Billiards based game I am working on in my spare time.

• Updated the environment art.
  • I Set up a player score system.
  • And created a fail-state for the game.

If anyone is interested, here is the link to my second developer log video.

Very nice, like the look and the reaction of the balls when they are hit. Good job, looks like a good game of billiards.

1 Like

Hello Everyone.

The next Barroom Billiards video update will be ready this coming Friday. (work has been a bit hectic this week during month end)

In the meantime, I have done the preliminary table layout for 4 more game stages:

The 5 stages I have ready will be used for an early playable demo to get some gameplay feedback.

Hello everyone. I hope you all had a good week?

For this week’s development update I managed to incorporate the four new stages, I modelled last week, into a small playable build of the game. Here is what all I managed to add:

• Added a preliminary menu system, including a main menu and pause menu.
  • Expanded the amount of stages from 1 to 5
  • Refined the physics slightly to allow the table to settle quicker.

Here is a link to the third development log:

I also uploaded a unedited video of the raw gameplay footage for those who might be interested to scrub through:

I am in the process of setting up the production phase for all of the stages for the entire game. I would be interested to find out what the community’s thoughts might be on the following:

1 - How many stages would be the right amount for this type of game?
2 - Any shapes or ideas for the table stages they might want to see in the game?