[WIP] Arcade Space Shooter Template

Quick Update!

Added 3 Save Slots to the template. Now you can save and load 3 separate games!

New Update!

New Radar:

-Track enemies in your level in real time
-Different icons for flying enemies, ground enemies, and bosses
-Radar tells you when enemies are above or below you!
-Easy to customize range and icons
-Ability to toggle radar with a hotkey or in a zone

Huge thanks to ShooterTutorial for showing me the basics of the radar. You can find the tutorial here: http://shootertutorial.com/2015/11/10/ue4-tips-plug-and-play-radar/*

@HeadClot and @Galeon - I took your advice to heart and came up with a simple radar. Not as fancy as the video, but it gives you the basic information so you aren’t lost searching for enemies anymore :slight_smile:

Quick Update!

Implemented a BP component that turns any HISM actor into a fully dynamic destructible actor by individually destroying its instances!

Customize:

-Health of each instance
-Damage and impulse given to the destructible mesh
-Collision and time to live for the destroyed mesh

New Update!

On this devlog I give an overview of the different Actor Components I have on the project. These components allow you to quickly add functionality to any actor in your scene without having to add any code.

Actor Components:

-**Add Points **- On hit add points to the Player
-Hover - Make any actor hover in place
-Move - Offset any actor’s position by a specified amount
-Simulate Physics - On hit, have actor simulate physics
-Add to Radar - Add the actor to the Radar as a specified category
-Add Physics to HISM - Have each instance of the HISM simulate physics on Hit. You can specify the amount of hits and whether the mesh is destroyed or not.
-Destructible HISM - Convert your HISM actor into a fully destructible actor with each instance having its own “health.”

Update!

With the Corridor Builder you can quickly and easily build your indoor scene!

-Spline-based tool allows you to easily shape the corridor to your needs
-Choose to have an open corridor or an end mesh
-5 types of end meshes to choose from
-Use a Blutility to interconnect your corridors in seconds!

Quick sneak peek at a new upcoming Game Mode - Time Attack!

7aa1278e00c192cabb3de740b2c0f2ae4406ba4c.jpeg

Devlog 15

Time Attack Mode:

-Easily customize the Time, Number of Items and Player lives to create any time-constraint scenario you need!
-Use an actor component blueprint to convert any actor in your scene into a pickup!
-The level was built using the procedural corridor tool and an easy-to-use obstacle BP to create the level obstacles.

Devlog 16:

Whats new this week:
-New Stage Clear Sequence
-Improved PickUps now move towards Player!
-Improved Save Menu
-Expanded Options Menu
-Polished level info data table - quickly create your level structure and assign screenshots and music quickly and easily!

What ever happened to this?

I really want to pick this up.

If the marketplace is being slow look at selling it on Itch.io

Hi HeadClot,

Thanks for following up :slight_smile:

Since about 2 months ago I’ve been having technical problems with my computer (getting regular BSOD while using Unreal). It started slow but eventually got to the point I couldnt even use UE4 on my computer (was getting 3-5 crashes a day!). After losing about 8 hours of work on this template and many more hours trying to solve the problem, I gave up and ordered a new computer :confused:

I should be getting it soon and will resume work on this and my other projects.

I posted an update on my channel but didnt post it here:

I’m actually NOT looking forward to the submission process as I know the submission process is really slow right now. I may end up putting it on Itch.io while we wait for the template to be approved by Epic.

Stay tuned!

Devlog 17

Improvements:
-Improved the AI to now be completely inactive when far from the Player (huge performance improvements)
-I’m also experimenting with making the enemies fully destructible (experimental)

this is awesome I always wanted to do a starfox 64 game play style with my own story and easter eggs of course I would totally get this when its on the market good luck

Thanks for the support Dansiff! That is the idea behind this template - I loved Starfox 64 and wanted to create a similar game :slight_smile: Keep an eye out - I’m getting close to an initial release and will show a full playthrough of Corneria soon!

Devlog 18

Added:

-Proximity spawning for enemies
-Improved behavior for the attacking AI
-Lots of bug fixes!!!

Devlog 19

Added:
-Full Quality Settings following UE4’s scalability settings
-New water shader with better waves
-New textures for the landscape

Good stuff. Let me know when and If it goes up on itch.io :slight_smile:

Thanks HeadClot - will do :slight_smile:

Devlog 20

Whats new:
-New enemy type - Tank! This is a flying enemy with the ability to spawn a turret on top!
-New AI behavior - Self Destroy! Now enemies can self-destruct once the Player is far away making the game even more efficient! Now you have the ability to spawn hundreds of enemies in your levels and still remain very performant!
-Added new elements to the Corneria level to demonstrate component functionality - objects hover, rotate, and simulate physics thanks to these actor components!
-Many bug fixes

Sweet I always wanted to make a StarFox 64 style game! Two questions is this Mobile friendly,and what the ETA?

Hi Straight Shorty,

Thank you for the interest and support! Everything I am doing should be compatible with mobile with minimal changes. The only 2 things that would need to be changed are the controls (to use the gyros and have on-screen buttons) and the UI scaling to make sure you can see the HUD on a phone screen. Its a cool idea and I may implement those things in a future update after the initial release :slight_smile:

As far as ETA, the template is done, minus a few minor bugs I’ve been fixing for the past week. Im currently preparing the template for submission to Epic (renaming BPs, commenting all the code, testing etc). Im hoping I can submit within the next 2 weeks!

Stay tuned!