Windows vs Linux For Unreal Work and Why?

Hey all;

Our company is going full tilt on unreal and I am curious. Do you all use Windows or Linux and why?
Also if you want to include where you work or if your an Indi that is appreciated too.
Many thanks for any time and advice

1 Like

Hey,

I’m an Indie - I would prefer to use linux but there are a number of things that have made me move to windows:

• Graphics Driver support - it is always way behind windows - even things like lumen are not really an option yet.
  • plugin support - things like Megascans bridge and other plugins don’t fully support linux
  • Launcher - this is a biggie - the Epic Launcher does not run on Linux, so you’re only option is to build everything from source code. Purchased items from the Epic marketplace can only be downloaded from the launcher - and the launcher has to have at least one version of the engine installed - on windows. You can run it through Wine or through a virtual machine - but it’s a pain.
3 Likes

I am Indie too. I would like to work in Linux only because of the performance. But coming to features like GPU Lightmass and Epic Launcher to install plugins that’s worst. But always Linux is best. Don’t know how Lumen and nanite works for non DX12 like Linux Workstations works

2 Likes

Check https://assetmanager.studio/, can download and add items from marketplace to a project. Plus can download the engine that is already build and install it, so no need to build it.

3 Likes

Very VERY interesting, thank you!