Windows 11 & TPM enforcement

Seems that there could be huge rise of Linux(most notably *Ubuntu i guess) in the light of Windows 11 is forcing to use TPM. There are tons of PC-s that have no TPM or user do not want to use TPM.

What is your stance on forcing TPM?

If your PC is too old to have it then you’re not likely to be the type that would switch to Linux rather than just not upgrade to Windows 11.

I personally have a support pins on my x470 board, i just have to buy it if i really need it. Interesting to know what others think and any concerns about TPM?

Not any specific link, just what i have found with classic google searches. Lets see what others post here…

This could be future plan to Microsoft to take monopoly control in future:

Forcing tmp 1.2 is bad and Pluton which @AE_3DFX linked, is way worse. It will cause x86 to become closed system like mac under the authority of ms. Putting pluton on cpu will block all other os and non certified softwares. This is unfair as windows ecosystem was originally designed to be fully open.

I will never buy a cpu with pluton (zen4 and intel will have pluton) or update to windows 11. May be in time Europian risv and arm cpus without pluton may come to DIY market.

It is good that unreal editor and engine is working solid on linux for the first time ever with UE5. Previous unreal opengl, vulkan implementation were broken, and much slower than dx11-12, but it’s equal now. Now what needed is to find a way to cook for windows from linux, so that I’ll never have to run win 11.

3 Likes

Found this article, maybe OpenTitan could be more trustworthy by public. I do not know i am no expert and just now found out about OpenTitan.

1 Like