Wind not working in matinee sequence

Hello, everyone. I’ve been working on a forest, I’ve got trees and grass and everything. I made some keys on a camera for a matinee secuence. I’m using wind, and it can be seen when I press play, but not when I’m recording eith matinee. Any idea why? Thank you!

Hey Alexis MR,

Would you mind providing me with a screenshot of your Matinee Track?

Also, are you using the ‘Movie’ or ‘Record’ button within matinee?

Cheers,

Hello, Andrew. I’m using movie.

You need to make sure that green handle is moved to the end of your movie. The green section is what is going to get recorded so you need to expand this and set the length all the way to the end of the track.

But the movie was right, the only thing was the wind not working…I will try it, though, see if it makes any changes.

If it does not resolve your issue, could you provide me with some simple repro steps so I can get the issue to appear on my end?

In other words, if you can reproduce this issue in a new blank project and give me the steps to take, I can better help troubleshoot your issue.

Thank you,

No, I tried moving the green handle, no changes.

Are you using the foliage mode to paint the Trees and Grass meshes to the surface, or are you placing them manually via the content browser as Static Mesh actors?

Hello again, Andrew. I’m using the foliage system. These are the steps I followed: I generated the trees with spreedtree, try adding wind in there, then exported the trees, importen them into UE, adden them to the foliage system and placed them. After, I generated wind, which can be seen afecting the trees properly. In the end I took my movie, and that’s when the wind doesn’t shows up. I tried placing the trees as mesh actors, too, but it doesn’t solve the problem.

You are adding the ‘Wind Directional Source’ to your scene within UE4 correct?

Do me a favor and test this issue with one of the free SpeedTree models you can download from their website. If you are seeing the same issue with their models as well, we can rule out some factors.

Hi, I’ve the same issue as Alexis. I’m actually working on the 4.11, I’ve put some Trees from the Kite Demo, and a wind actor in the scene. When playing the scene the wind works well, but when I press “Movie” in the Matinee window to export an avi file, the image looks still (the camera doesn’t have any trajectory set up). Any idea ?

Try simply updating the Wind Actor’s rotation settings a bit to re-initialize the actor before the Matinee begins. You would want to do this on the ‘Event Begin Play’ node, and then call the Matinee to play.

To be honest, your best bet now would be to try out Sequencer and move your matinee over to the new tool. It is more robust, easier to use, and allows for a more streamlined cinematics creation process. The transition is easy, and the tool is really fun to use. :slight_smile:

Let me know if you have further questions or need additional assistance.

Cheers

I have tried this in sequencer and i don’t get any wind in the trees either. I’m using hand placed and also trees placed using the foliage painter and neither of them works when rendering out the movie.

I’ve tried keying the WindDirectionSource and that doesn’t work either. Is there a solution to getting wind to work when rendering? It works fine in the editor view, just stops when rendering out a movie.

We are aware of this issue, but it was so minor that it was backlogged and eventually marked as ‘Won’t Fix.’ Below is a link to the issue on our public tracker.

UE-3309

You should be able to implement a similar workaround which I provided when the issue was originally reported. It deals with matinee, much like this post, but the basic logic is the same.

Cheers,

Hello,

I had the same issue, using UE4.21.2, Cinematics, Level Sequence.
In the render movie dialogue, Animation rollout, I increased all the “warmup” parameters… and the problem was solved.
warmup frame count= 30
delay before warmup = 10sec
delay before shot warmup = 10 sec

Cheers!

Salim Rached

1 Like