Win 7 UE 4.4.3 Closes during launch splash screen

Is there any word on when I should hear back from them?

Jaroslaw is looking into issue for you now.

Drewseph, thanks for files. What you’re seeing seems to be a rare problem - possibly related to a particular PC configuration - that I’ve seen posted by someone only once before.

Without further details on what exactly is crashing, it will be impossible to figure out what’s happening. Would you be able to build Editor from Github source code in Debug mode and assist me with debugging this problem?

In meantime, to unblock you, please try disabling UdpMessaging transport as follows:

1. Open file /Engine/Config/BaseEngine.ini in a text editor, i.e. Notepad

2. Add following lines at bottom:

[/Script/UdpMessaging.UdpMessagingSettings]
    EnableTransport=False

This will also disable some other features in Editor, particularly UFE related functionality, such as profiling, but you won’t need that in beginning. Hopefully we can figure out what’s going on.

Another thing you can try is this: if your PC is not connected to a wired network (i.e. only WiFi), please try connecting it by wire to a switch, router or internet gateway. Please let me know if that makes a difference, thanks!

gmpreussner ,

I’ll try to figure out how to get source code. I’ve never done something like this though, but there’s always a first time. Is there a guide available on how to do this?

I’ll try those changes to ini as soon as I get back.

I am not able to connect via wire to internet, wifi is only option here.

Ah ok, reason I’m about a wired connection is because only other user who also had this problem mentioned that he was connected through WiFi only, so this may be a good starting point for us to investigate.

Getting started with UE4 programming can take some time, but it’s definitely something you won’t regret learning. We have a guide on getting source code from Github: Downloading Unreal Engine Source Code | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation

There is also a quick start guide for programmers: Unreal Engine CPP Quick Start | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation

I added those lines to BaseEngine.ini it still closes at beginning of splash starting screen.

okay I got it set up to build. However…

I get a failed build whenever I try to make one. Here’s line it fails on.

1> [158/158] link.exe UE4Game-Win64-Debug.exe
1>LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file ‘libovr64.lib’
1> -------- End Detailed Actions Stats -----------------------------------------------------------
1>ERROR : UBT error : Failed to produce item: C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\Github\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Game-Win64-Debug.exe

libovr64.lib seems to be in Oculus folder, oddly enough.

I think you’re missing third party library package. details are on GitHub page itself - check the “Getting up and running” section here: https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine

Required_1of2. and Required_2of2. is what you need.

We are also still trying to repro problem in our office, but so far haven’t been able to. Hopefully we can get you up and running with VisualStudio.

just keeps getting weirder. I was double checking to see if I had third party plugins installed for my own local editor build and decided to try once more to launch editor from:

C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.4\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor.exe

Low and behold editor launched and made it to projects setup page and opened default project. I messed around in it and saved it. Closed editor and launched editor again from Unreal Launcher, and it still worked.

After playing around some, I closed editor a second time. When I returned to my computer a few minutes later (I did not restart or put computer to sleep), editor vanishes again on booting up. I cannot get back into editor from exe, OR launcher.

I can however go directly to my saved project in my documents, and run editor from there with 100% success.

Are you able to reproduce startup crash with a version of Editor that you built in Visual Studio? That’s all that matters right now, because we need Visual Studio to debug crash. If we can get at least a callstack, that would be a good start :slight_smile:

I’ve made sure I have all those third party plugins installed. I’m meeting all correct files installed but I still cannot get a build to succeed.

what’s error?

error hasn’t changed, its still :

1> [158/158] link.exe UE4Game-Win64-Debug.exe 1>LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file ‘libovr64.lib’ 1> -------- End Detailed Actions Stats ----------------------------------------------------------- 1>ERROR : UBT error : Failed to produce item: C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\Github\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Game-Win64-Debug.exe

Have you tried these:

That second one seemed to do do trick, however it was answer with 12 upvotes that worked, rather than accepted answer. I was able to successfully build a Debug Editor build that way, but trying to open UE4Editor-Win64-Debug.exe crashes on grey splash screen still.

That’s great - it will allow us to debug crash. Could you please copy and paste callstack from Visual Studio?

Also, would you be able to meet me in IRC chat channel at some point in case we have to dig into this further? That might be faster than trying to do it here:

http://webchat.freenode.net/
Channel: #unrealengine
My nickname is Epic|j3rky

We tracked this down to be caused by AntiVirus software called Symantec PC Tools. This also prevented debugging from working in Visual Studio. After uninstalling and rebooting computer, everything worked again.