Will UE4 be easier for me to learn as a beginner?

I know nothing about game development other than knowing what’s in the developmental process like 3D modeling, texturing, and programming. The only thing I am good at from what I mention is programming and I read UE4 uses C++ scripts and that its my native language. Are there any requirements for UE4 beginners? Because I really would like using UE4 to my true potentials like game developing or maybe filming because LazyTown used UE3.

I know 0 code languages, minor 3d modeling, minor game modding, and feel like I could make a AAA title game in UE4 by myself given enough time. I am quickly learning Blueprints, and the level design is stupidly easy. I’m sure I’ll be in over my head once I get to networking and having to code to get things working, but for now I can make a playable game for myself. I would recommend it, what’s the worst that will happen, your out $20?

[=;18139]
Are there any requirements for UE4 beginners?
[/]

You should be able to use a mouse and a keyboard ^^ -> Just a little joke :stuck_out_tongue:

Of course it is a big plus when you already have C++ experience, because then you dont have to learn the programming language from scratch and you can directly jump over to the “c++ connection with bps”. For all the other stuff like level design, fx artist or 3d artist you just have to play around a little bit. So download a 3d program like blender and then start doing some stuff. It will overwhelm you in the beginning, but the more often you do it you will get used to it.:wink:

[=shaun40k;18198]
I know 0 code languages, minor 3d modeling, minor game modding, and feel like I could make a AAA title game in UE4 by myself given enough time. I am quickly learning Blueprints, and the level design is stupidly easy. I’m sure I’ll be in over my head once I get to networking and having to code to get things working, but for now I can make a playable game for myself. I would recommend it, what’s the worst that will happen, your out $20?
[/]

I love your enthusiasm , it’s inspiring to anyone who hasn’t made their mind up yet.
You’re spot on too, $20 dollars wouldn’t even get you and your partner a decent meal in restaurant or two cinema tickets, but it gives you access to the best game engine in the world :slight_smile:

I recommend reading Game Programming Patterns if you going to do serious programming.

Hi ,

We realize that jumping into game design can be quite daunting at first. However, we have tons of materials and tutorials on ourDocumentation pages, Wiki, Answerhub, and . On top of this there are many out in the community that love to help a new designer thrive and learn as much as they can about the engine and how to use it. From my perspective, the main thing to remember about design and learning these engines isthat you should enjoy yourself, keep trying, and most of all:

don'tpanic.jpg

I started last year in Game development with no experience other than ansi C that I used a work (Electrical Engineering). I Used unity and learned a lot of C#. I just started with UE4. I think UE4 develops better problem solving skills and has more power. I am finding that the C++ learning curve is worth it and the Blueprint system is a real plus also. I like when engines use languages like C++ and C# that can have relevance to me outside of game development.

The Unity Asset store is great but also over rated. To often us newbies were sitting idle waiting for some easy button pluggin or asset to be released or updated to catch up with the latest Unity revision. After you get it and get things working then Unity would update and maybe the asset didn’t and your stalled again. UE4 does not seem to have that problem because all the hard core tools are already built in and others are on the way. Plus you get to keep what you paid for.

I think UE4 is great for newbies. It is awesome that we can learn on a AAA tool!

Enjoy!!!

UE 4 is a tad more involved than Unity, but way easier than UDK was. It is not Game Maker lol, but I think you will pick it up fast. Good news is this is a fresh engine so many people will be learning with you here on the community.

You won’t need to know coding language in UE4…but there’s a skill programmer’s have that artists don’t, and it’s kind of essential for making games or anything logic based. You need to be able to think like a programmer.

At least that’s what I’m finding out. Blueprints are probably easy for a guy who writes code, but the rest of us have a lot to learn. That’s why I think they shouldn’t be worried about ever being out of a job because of Blueprints because they have an special skill that goes beyond just knowing C++

Is it just me or does anyone else feel that the fact that one of the UE4 Developers is a Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy fan means that the development of UE4 is in good hands?

Just saying.

“Time is an illusion. Lunch time, doubly so” -

[=Coelbren_Bluestar;19404]
Is it just me or does anyone else feel that the fact that one of the UE4 Developers is a Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy fan means that the development of UE4 is in good hands?

Just saying.

“Time is an illusion. Lunch time, doubly so” -
[/]

Very much could be. :slight_smile: